UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 202.5/189/120

Height: 5'2

Default McDonald's addict - Please I need help.

The majority of the time I don't think I eat too badly. My fiance makes healthy meals and I have packed lunches for work that aren't hugely unhealthy. My big problem is I love McDonald's and even if I don't intend to I end up having it sometimes 3 or even 4 times a week. Its completely unavoidable, people have said to me just don't go past it but that's not really an option, the stop where I catch my bus home is right outside McDonald's there is another where I get off, incidentally right opposite my house. I can't get away from it anywhere and if i get home and my fiance hasn't made anything its my only option cos I work late and don't have the time nor the energy to make something for myself. Honestly if I could just get off the McDonald's I'm sure my weight-loss would be easier cos its the biggest contributing factor. Even things like Supersize Me and articles that show you how unhealthy McDonald's is can't put me off. No matter how much I try I can't seem to stop myself, we've tried both cutting it out completely and cutting it down to one a week but I always end up back there, I can't help myself. I've even started lying to my fiance and saying I haven't it had I when I have.
roobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Here are some suggestions, but only you can do it. You know it's a habit, and habits need to be broken. You could think of something you want to buy for yourself, and put the money aside for it each time to pass up your McDonald's dinner. Or you could have some pre-made meals at home for nights that there is no meal prepared for you. Something you can make up and put in the freezer, or make the night before to be heated up. If you know there's something you like waiting at home, it might be easier to pass up the fast food.

The only thing I like from McDonald's is breakfast, and now they have breakfast all day. I used to work next to a McDonald's and I stopped every morning for a breakfast sandwich. When I went to a new job, there was no McDonald's, but I didn't lose any weight. I guess I was making up those calories and fat on something else.

Good luck to you.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Oh how I understand about McDonald's! I've moved away from it for the most part but once in a while I've just got to have it. What works for me is to have the lowest calorie meal that makes me feel satisfied that I've had the McDonald's experience. Instead of a burger, I do a chicken sandwich with no mayo or sauces. I order Diet Coke instead of the full calorie drink. And I get a small fry if I can pass up the medium. Good luck! The good news for me is that the more I'm staying away, I find it disappointing every time I eat there which makes it less appealing.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #4  

Go to the MacDonald's website and read not only the nutritional information but also the ingredients. There are over 50 ingredients in their chicken patty. There is nothing there but salad that is remotely healthy or nutritious. I can't stand the smell when I have to drive past it. Why do we want to put garbage in our body when healthy, nutritious food does so much more for us?
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 174/169.6/125

Height: 5'6"

Oh man, I hear you. I LOVE McDonald's. I had to go cold-turkey, I could eat their fried every. single. day.

I wish you the best of luck. I would struggle intensely if I had to stand by a McD's every day.
wolfchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 192/171/140

Height: 5ft 4in

Go to Amazon and order this book "Fast Food Nation: What The All-American Meal is Doing to the World". You can get a second-hand copy for 1 pence plus a few quid postage. Now, admittedly, it was written a few years ago. But if it doesn't dampen your enthusiasm for McD's I don't know what will. Another possible suggestion would be when you leave work to walk to the next bus stop.

Last edited by Vehuel; 02-23-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Vehuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 174/169.6/125

I've got to say - As someone who works in the medical (veterinary) field, I almost can't be grossed out anymore. I KNOW all the "gross" facts about McD's, but when it comes to those fries, I can't stop myself.
wolfchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:18 AM   #8  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Go cold turkey.Breaking this habit is probably the most important thing!!!
Say to yourself 'I want to now, but I'll wait and go home. I can always come back in an hour if I still want to."
How much money have you spent there in the last year?
Create awesome alternative treats and meals for yourself at home that are better than McD's - even if they're not healthy. Treat yourself to a REAL restaurant, a dinner where you sit down and savour a quality meal/service/experience.
Read about their impact on tHow good is the service you get, really? he environment and economy; Look at how heavy the people who work there get - I know, I had a boyfriend who worked there for YEARS and gained over 60lbs there; Look at the kids making your food - how sanitary are they being?
Keep water and salty and sweet snacks in your purse at all times.
Eat a "dinner" before you take your bus - you'll less likely crave if you're full?

Good luck with this, it's going to be a challenge - but if you want it, you can do this! McDonald's turns people into addicts in my opinion
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:02 AM   #9  

Have you tried an option like Hello Fresh who deliver the ingredients to healthier meals to you and make it easy to prepare?

Also having small healthy snacks throughout the day to satiate your hunger and stop you from craving junk help massively.
T2TAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:19 PM   #10  

Height: 5'0"

Hi Roobear. I know your pain. No one could have been more addicted to McDonalds than me. I ate there breakfast and lunch many days each week. The thing that got me to quit wasn't about health or nutrition. It was purely financial. We are a one income family now and our finances are in a real strain. I could no longer justify eating out every day and buying a diet coke (my other huge addiction) every morning at the convenience store. After I quit eating McDonald's and other fast food, it doesn't taste good at all. In fact, it is quite unpleasant. I've not seen a huge weight loss, but I do feel better and I have been spending quite a bit less money. I make sure now that there is something to eat when I get home from work in case by boyfriend hasn't had time to cook. It is very quick and easy to fry your own hamburger or make an egg/cheese English muffin. You can open a can of soup and have a grilled cheese sandwich. You can eat some fruit and yogurt, or open a can of baked beans. Easiest of all is heating up some leftovers from the night before. Do you have a crockpot (slow cooker)? You could have stew or soup waiting for you when you get home. If you are also addicted to the soda, try making iced tea without sugar. Keep a pitcher in your refrigerator so you can have some ready to go in the morning and it will be ready for you when you get home. Drink water if you run out of tea at work.

It is not easy, but it is possible for you to avoid fast food. Even if you got up just 15 minutes earlier, you can make a very quick breakfast at home. Also, prepare anything that needs to go in your work lunch the night before. Put the non-perishables in your lunch bag, and add the cold items in the morning. Don't buy high calorie snacks for your lunch, put in good stuff like fresh fruit, low calorie yogurt, baby carrots, etc. I personally have a problem eating granola bars in moderation, so I am trying to stay away from those. Your tastes will change if you give it a chance.

If you do decide to eat out once a week for lunch or breakfast, then make sure you know what you are eating and make it part of your plan.

You can do it! Best of luck to you.

I just thought of one more thing. If you are very hungry when you get off work, try saving some of your food to eat on the bus. Something easy like a banana or baby carrots. This should help keep you from feeling famished when you encounter the McDonalds at your bus stop.

Last edited by Autumn Night; 03-13-2016 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Add additional comment.
Autumn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #11  

I am not an mcdonalds, however I like SO DAMN MUCH the food from there. their hamburgers, their fries and etc. etc. are the best food for me. very often I can't resist.... and i go in there and EAT!!!!!!
Cristyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #12  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roobear View Post
I've even started lying to my fiance and saying I haven't it had I when I have.
Tut tut tut. busted.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:245 CW:ticker GW:145

Height: 5'

Meal prep! That's the best advice I can think of. Take some time on your day off and make meals for throughout the week. It really doesn't take too long. I sometimes end up having to work late and knowing that I have food at home that's going to take minutes to prepare/warm up keeps me from stopping at the drive thru
Curvycurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 175/174/155

Start cutting back little by little,Mcdonalds does have healthy choices.Get small fries and grilled chicken southwest salad with balsalmic vinegrette and its only around 500 calories,Get that everytime til you feel you can do without fries,or get a hamburger with the salad and its around same calories.Good luck
merowi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 269/255/140

Height: 5'11

Oh man, I feel you on this! It used to be that I had McDonald's really regularly, especially when I drank I HAD to have chicken nuggets. Eventually though I realized I actually have some food allergies that made quitting ALL fast food imperative, so I just quit cold turkey. Every time I was tempted (and oh boy was I) I just thought about how eating there would make me feel. After a while I began to associate it so strongly with the symptoms of my food allergies that the temptation just totally went away.
Nowadays I do all of my meal prep on Sundays so that I always have a meal prepared when I get home from work. If I get a really bad craving, I go home and eat the dinner I already had prepared. That usually stops my cravings right in their track and it saves my money.
So I guess my suggestions would be two things: 1. meal prep and 2. every time you're tempted to go there, think of how you're going to feel after you eat there--is it really worth it?

Last edited by FredZesty; 04-19-2016 at 10:56 AM.
FredZesty is offline   Reply With Quote