Old 01-26-2016, 11:07 AM   #1  
mossfootrunner!

S/C/G: 126kg/93kg/70kg

Height: 162cm(ish)

Default Pre-emptive February 2016 Thread

Hello, peebles.
I used to be quite active (like the rest of you ) in this forum but kid demands (three teenage daughters ) have kept me away for about a year now and also resulted in a bit of regain. I'm back on track now, balanced eating, regular exercise, too chicken to weigh in yet, but am steeling myself to do that again every Wed, starting Feb. 3rd.

So. How are y'all?

Last edited by Magicsusan; 01-26-2016 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Clarify
Magicsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:57 AM   #2  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi Magic Susan,
Thanks for starting this thread. People (women) in their 40s are so often buried by work and family demands. It's good to keep active discussions going to remind ourselves that our health, wellness and happiness ARE priorities. JZJ

Last edited by JayZeeJay; 01-29-2016 at 12:00 PM.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 168/165/150

Height: 5'9"

Hi Susan!

I was on 3fatchicks a lot about 9 years ago when I lost a lot of weight having my last kid. The support and weight loss challenges here were one of the key components to me losing 60 lbs! Now, I'm 40. I've slowly gained about 28 lbs over the last 9 years, and it's time to nip it in the bud! I've been doing my standard calorie counting over the last week and have found it so much harder to lose the weight. It's not falling off like it used to!

I'm so happy to see that 3fatchicks is still around! Looking forward to losing the weight with you guys.
sydditt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #4  
mossfootrunner!

Hello Jayzeejay, hello Sydditt!

It's certainly true what you say about us some how listing our own wellbeing rather low on the priorities list, Jzj. I'm thinking too in terms of setting an example for kids- girls, to take care of themselves, boys, to not expect women to do it all.

It's February, so here we go-
I've rebooted my zombies c25k app, cut out sweets and junk, and am trying to do yoga/stretching on my lunchbreak at least a couple times a week.

What are you all up to?

Last edited by Magicsusan; 02-01-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Hello, another 3FC drop out here, trying to get back on track! I have 4 teens plus a younger child, so I know how easy it is to get distracted from my own health goals.

I experienced a regain and feel very ashamed of myself. When I was at my high weight, I didn't like to go out and show myself in public - I'm very self conscious and hard on myself. I feel like I am starting to slip into that phase again, as I grow out of the cute outfits in my closet, or wear something that looked great with a loose fit, but not so great when it's straining at the seams.

I really want to get back to feeling good about myself.

Let's see, what did I do today? On a bad note, I went to try on clearance winter coats and mediums wouldn't even zip - larges just fit. On a good note - I went to the gym and did 65 minutes of a stepper machine at the gym. I ate half a single pack of raw steel cut oats with 1 banana for breakfast (the banana gave it flavor, but I don't care for unflavored oatmeal at all - but it does stick to the ribs and is low cal and low fat). I had carrots, guacamole, and pineapple for lunch. I'm making a vegetable soup in my crock pot for my dinner and there should be lots of leftovers for the rest of the week's lunches/dinners. So, those are good things. Hope you are all having a successful day on this long journey!

Last edited by guacamole; 02-01-2016 at 03:36 PM.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #6  
mossfootrunner!

Wow. Lots of returnees. Life is a process, huh?

Guac, 4 teens! And a little one! That's amazing! I hear you on the shame, but I try not to let it get to me. It doesn't seem to help. More just makes me feel more hopeless. Alas, I also hear you on the cute clothes thing... I will be so happy when they fit again properly.

On the positive side: I am redoubling my efforts to make sure there are lots of yummy, healthy snacks around so I don't get desperately hungry. Also starting jogging again. zoms c25k! I'm going with one of my kids who is not really fat, but a bit chubby and wants to get in better shape. We hold each other accountable, so so far it's working well.

Will be weighing in every Wednesday, so we'll see next week if I've lost anything!

How are you all doing?
Old 02-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #7  

I'm still holding strong. I took the plunge and bought a new scale (my old one broke), and finally weighed myself (I think the last time I weighed myself might have been around August!). The good news is I haven't gained any weight since last summer, but the bad news is I hate how much I weigh! I am going to make myself weigh in every day for the next week. I am so scared to face the scale, but then I can just shut my eyes and pretend I'm not gaining while at the same time eating completely unhealthy foods. So, I need some accountability. One step is finally changing my ticker to reflect my current weight, which I really hate, but I need to get real.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:31 AM   #8  
mossfootrunner!

Well, I have to confess, you guys are my accountability. You and the weekly weigh-in thread. I just can't bring myself to change my ticker. I know I should; maybe later, but right now... I'd also have to change my piggy bank-I put ten franks in every time I lost a pound for a big shopping trip when I hit goal. Piggy has about a centimeter of duston him now, poor guy!

Anyway, how are the daily weigh-ins going, Guac? Are they keeping you on track? I hate the head in the sand bit. The part where you're going off track, losing yourself, and at the same time watching yourself from the sidelines, screaming "nooooooo! Don't just let it happen! Do something!" But somehow you can't. What *is* that?! When it's easy, it's easy. So easy. Right now, I'm enjoying exercising and eating healthy so much. I keep looking back thinking, what the heck kind of headspace was I in six months ago?

So, I get the daily weigh-ins. Nips that tendency to ignore reality in the bud.

How's everybody doing?
Old 02-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #9  

Hey! Well, I stepped on the scale to 173 this morning. However, I am right in the middle of TOM, so I'm hoping that has something to do with my weight fluctuation. Also, I've been trying to stick to plant based diet during the week, but yesterday I had some hommos which I usually eat with carrots or zucchini, but yesterday decided to go with pretzel thins. Maybe the salt and carbs caused some water retention. I was way under calories yesterday because of some serious cardio, so it was disappointing to see a gain when I thought I would see a loss. BUT - at least I'm facing the scale - facing reality. I ate a few ravioli today (leftovers from the dinner I made my family last night). I'm sure that won't cause the scale to be my friend tomorrow. However, the rest of my day has been fruit, oatmeal, and a vegetable lentil soup I made yesterday, so not bad. Oh, and I'm also trying to keep up my water intake, because I didn't get enough water in yesterday, so I am being more conscious of hydration today.

Good luck to you today, magicsusan and everyone else!
Old 02-10-2016, 02:03 AM   #10  
mossfootrunner!

Ah, salt. Why is everything so much more satisfying with lots of yummy salt on it?

Good luck with your weigh-in, Guac. Mine was stinky, as you can see.
I need to learn to read a bloody scale.

I recently rented a studio downtown in an old building. The bathroom is on the ground floor and I am in the attic, so I think subconsciously I don't drink enough because it's such a pita to go pee

I'm home today, so I will drink extra lots. Also going to attempt to bake something calorie conscious for a friend; found some lemon poppyseed muffins that use olive oil, not so much sugar, and yogurt... Let's see if they turn out edible!

Sydditt, JZ, how are you guys? Where are you guys?
Old 02-10-2016, 07:57 AM   #11  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Did someone say "plant-based diet" up in here? Did someone say salt?!?! Oh yummy!

I made homemade tabbouleh for the first time ever in my life this month, and it was awwweeessssome. I've now made it 3 times. Highly recommended.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:49 AM   #12  

Mrs. Snark - the tabbouleh sounds yummy! Care to share the recipe?

magicsusan - it's a pain, but water and frequent bathroom trips are our friends!

So, the scale is back down to 172 today. It's no fun bouncing up and down...it feels like there is no real progress being made when for all I know, the scale could be back up tomorrow. But, on the bright side, I have been great about avoiding sugar this week, pretty good about avoiding white flour (except those darn ravioli), so-so about avoiding salt, and great about getting in healthy grains, vegetables, and fruits. The water intake could use some improvement, as I still don't think I'm drinking enough. I'm just not that thirsty in the cold weather - or I don't feel thirsty - I'm sure my body needs the same hydration as in summer.

Good luck today, ladies!

Last edited by guacamole; 02-10-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #13  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Here is the tabbouleh recipe and here is my blog post with pictures (and, warning, swear words because I'm a salty, salty sailor). I don't strip the parsley anymore at all, but that's me. I'm all about fast and easy and I didn't feel it was worth the effort and is less wasteful. nom nom nom

Good job avoiding the white flour, it gives me problems too!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #14  
mossfootrunner!

Guac, I drink a lot of fruit tea in the winter. No sugar. I like it plain. And water. But you're right; it's easier to remember to be thirsty when it's hot outside

I made lemon poppy-seed muffins today; I had promised a friend to bring something to tea, and found a light recipe. I only ate one muffin.

I love tabouleh! Sometimes, when it needs to be dinner I throw some chick peas in. I agree, Snarkles. Stripping parsley is a fools errand...
Old 02-10-2016, 03:38 PM   #15  

So much for avoiding white flour. My husband invited me out to lunch today near his workplace for middle east food, and I indulged in bean soup, pita bread and lots of different salads, plus 3 falafel balls! White flour, salt, oil, I did it all. On the plus side I kept it vegetarian and I also declined to share the brownie that my husband had for dessert - so at least I avoided sugar. I'm sure the scale will be up tomorrow. I did go to the gym, but I didn't burn enough for that lunch! Dinner will very light tonight...the good news is I'm stuffed.