General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:37 PM   #1  

Default Breakfast!!

I usually have egg whites for breakfast but I do not want to have eggs/meats for every meal anymore. Could some members share their breakfast they have on a regular basis that is not eggs or a meat. If you eat meat/eggs at all 3 meals is there a reason why. Thanks
canadacatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

When I was recovering from surgery the nurses told me to have some protein at every meal, and I am not fond of alternative protein sources. I don't eat huge portions of meat, but do have some at most meals. I don't think it's a hard and fast rule, but a personal preference. Smoothies or Protein Shakes/Bars are a popular alternative. I just don't like them much.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

You can try a baked oatmeal (like this baked oatmeal with blueberries and bananas) and swap the milk, egg and honey for vegan friendly products. Cook once and eat all week.

Scrambled tofu is a lot like eggs, particularly when you add in vegetables. You can even take this filling and wrap it into low carb/high fiber tortillas for another 80 calories (although I believe the new Ole Wellness is only 50 calories). Flash freeze them for grab and go meals all week.

Overnight oats or chia pudding would also be great.

What do you like? Maybe we can come up with pretty good options!

Edited to add - I don't eat meat at every meal, but often do eat eggs for breakfast in frittata form, egg/veggie scrambles, or homemade veggie burger patties. I like them because they're quick, grain free, and low calorie with high protein so I can stay full for 4+ hours for 150 calories.

For lunch I often eat some kind of soup, stew, chili, curry, stuffed pepper, etc. Some of these have meat, some are meat free, but they are all extremely vegetable-centric. I cook them on weekends and portion to freeze. In the morning I just grab the one that looks best to me. They all are in the same calorie range.

Dinner is usually a stir fry, a stuffed vegetable (spaghetti squash boats, zucchini boats, eggplant boats, stuffed peppers, stuffed tomatoes), or some type of meat/poultry/fish and roasted vegetable sides. Sometimes our meals are vegetarian, sometimes they're not, but again - vegetable-centric. At least 50% of every meal I make is comprised of non-starchy vegetables.

Last edited by Munchy; 01-20-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #4  

Hi Munchy Thanks for the great ideas! What is flash freezing? Sounds like something I could use for weekly meal prep
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundove View Post
Hi Munchy Thanks for the great ideas! What is flash freezing? Sounds like something I could use for weekly meal prep
Freeze your individual items directly on a metal baking sheet, then transfer them to a freezer bag once they're frozen. It works really well for thick sauces (leftover tomato paste), cooked rice or pasta ("stir" halfway through), nuggets, burritos, meatballs, anything made in a muffin tin, blanched vegetables, pre-cooked and cut casseroles, and fruit.

Basically it freezes everything so that they don't stick together and you can grab what you need instead of having to thaw out a huge glob of nuggets or a brick of rice (you can scoop instead!)

I have specific instructions and recipes if you're interested!
Old 01-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
Freeze your individual items directly on a metal baking sheet, then transfer them to a freezer bag once they're frozen. It works really well for thick sauces (leftover tomato paste), cooked rice or pasta ("stir" halfway through), nuggets, burritos, meatballs, anything made in a muffin tin, blanched vegetables, pre-cooked and cut casseroles, and fruit.

Basically it freezes everything so that they don't stick together and you can grab what you need instead of having to thaw out a huge glob of nuggets or a brick of rice (you can scoop instead!)

I have specific instructions and recipes if you're interested!
Yes VERY INTERESTED in any recipes &!instructions if/when convenient!! Thank-you so much! I like how I feel with a veggie centric WOE.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #7  

Tuna, sprouted lentils, hummus, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein powder, etc. are all good non-meat/egg protein options too.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundove View Post
Yes VERY INTERESTED in any recipes &!instructions if/when convenient!! Thank-you so much! I like how I feel with a veggie centric WOE.
For the veggie-centric meals, take a look at the volumetrics thread HERE where we have described a lot of our meals over the past two years. I also have a document I'm willing to PM to you with specific recipes on how to make freezer meals.

For example, I keep these on hand all the time. I have an 8 year old and was a single mom for a while, so when she started solids, I started freezer cooking. If I wanted her to eat homemade, healthy food and still be able to attend all of her activities, I had to cook on weekends.

Cauliflower macaroni and cheese:
Take one chopped head of cauliflower, steam in a small amount of water until tender. Puree cauliflower, add 4-6oz extra sharp cheese, and season to taste – I use adobo OR salt/pepper/mustard powder. Freeze in ice cube trays until frozen, transfer to a labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave as many cubes as needed and mix with cooked pasta or a mixture of cooked broccoli and pasta. This can also be used as a cheese sauce for veggies.

Chicken/squash nuggets:
Shred 1-2 yellow squash or zucchini and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Mix with 1lb ground chicken, 1 egg, seasoning, form into “nuggets” and bread with your choice of bread crumb. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes on a lightly greased cooling rack on a cookie sheet. Cool and freeze on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, transfer to a labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave until thawed or bake for a crisp exterior.

Turkey/zucchini meatballs:
Shred 1-2 zucchini and squeeze most of the liquid out. Mix with 1lb ground turkey, 1 egg, seasoning, parmesan cheese, and choice of bread crumb. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Cool and freeze on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, transfer to a labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave until thawed or simmer in sauce.

Breakfast burrito:
Sauté onion, pepper, mushroom, spinach. Chop 8 slices of center cut bacon, and crisp or use low calorie sausage. Cook 8 scrambled eggs, and mix all cooled ingredients together. Lay out 8 large high fiber/low carb burritos (like La Tortilla Factory smart and delicious line or Ole Wellness High Fiber) – for gluten free, Aldi sells a 90 calorie GF tortilla. Divide mixture amongst 8 burritos, top each with 14-28g cheese of choice, and roll into burritos, folding in the sides. Lay seam side down on cookie sheet, and freeze. Once frozen, transfer to labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave wrapped in damp paper towel for 2-3 minutes until thawed or microwave until thawed and crisp in a pan or under the broiler. Options: add in cooked potatoes, vegetables to taste, sun dried tomatoes, jalapenos, hot sauce, or any other preferred fillings. Can substitute 2 egg whites for each whole egg.

Non-breakfast burrito:
Mix 2 cups of cooked rice of choice, sautéed vegetables of choice, one can rinsed black beans, salsa (optional jalapeno, hot sauce, sofrito, corn, etc). Lay out 8 large high fiber/low carb burritos, divide, top each with 14-28g cheese, roll, and freeze on cookie sheet. To serve, microwave wrapped in paper towel for 2-3 minutes until thawed or microwave until thawed and crisp in a pan or under a broiler. Options: replace some or all of the rice and beans with shredded cooked chicken/beef/pork or cooked ground meat.

I have a lot more tips - my husband wants me to start a blog, LOL!
Old 01-20-2016, 06:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I eat eggs a lot for breakfast too but I don't get sick of them much. Sometimes I scramble, or poach, or sunnyside up, hard or soft boiled, or I make an omelet. I eat the whole egg, the yolk has all the nutrients, egg whites alone are a very sorry sight on a plate indeed.

But I mix it up and have yogurt with fruit and granola often. Sometimes I have leftovers, or I'll grab a protein bar in a pinch. Once in a blue moon I'll have a toasted english muffin with ham.

My hands down favorite breakfast is warm potato salad with scalion, olive oil and red wine vinegar topped with a poached egg. Luxury!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:25 PM   #10  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post

I have a lot more tips - my husband wants me to start a blog, LOL!
He isn't the only one! I see you posting so many great meal ideas. You've already shared links or specific instructions for a few of them with me. I don't wanna be a pest and keep asking...so I find myself hoping someone else will ask!

Seriously, you'd be a GREAT food blogger.
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:20 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Chickie View Post
He isn't the only one! I see you posting so many great meal ideas. You've already shared links or specific instructions for a few of them with me. I don't wanna be a pest and keep asking...so I find myself hoping someone else will ask!

Seriously, you'd be a GREAT food blogger.
I second this, err I THIRD this idea! Munchy I was thinking the same thing before you mentioned your DH's idea.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #12  

Aww, you guys!

Maybe I'll start drafting a blog before I put it online and see how I fare. If I do go ahead, you'll be the first to know!
Old 01-23-2016, 02:28 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 174/169.6/125

Height: 5'6"

I do Soylent smoothies for breakfast. I'm NOT a morning person, and I'm barely functional until the caffeine IV is in, so no-thinking options are critical, LoL.
wolfchan is offline   Reply With Quote