Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Stupid Holidays

I do it every year. January through February, new years resolution and all that, yay diet time! Come March, back to old eating habits and laziness. By June, surrounded by bikini clad chicks on the beach and a family that loves to do outdoorsy stuff, I get back on the wagon. I go STRONG until November and then that first pecan pie is brought into work and bye bye willpower.

Middle of December I valiantly try to get back on plan..... but then those stupid Christmas goodies start coming through the door coupled with the fact that I LOVE to bake, and yeah..... doesn't last long.

And then January comes back and I cry as I step on the scale, wondering why in h*** I had to have that German Chocolate cake and go on the week long cake baking spree the week after Christmas.

Sigh. Hangs head in shame.

Then I try to tell myself it's just water weight..... It'll go away as soon as I start eating right again. Yeah.... no. At least my clothes still mostly fit.

But this year, this year my new Doctor just had to drop the big ole D word on me, the big ole DIABETES word that I've purposefully ignored since it was brought up 5 years ago when I weighed 265 lbs. I stuck my fingers in my ears and said, NOPE, that won't be me. They are wrong. They are Jon Snow and know nothing. Blood work lies right???

Wrong.

I have got to face the facts. It's not borderline anymore. And despite the 5 months last year of low carb keto lifestyle, my A1C is still really high. Time to put on my big girl knickers and face the facts.

The weight has to go.

And take with it the meds, because I am TOO YOUNG to be on medication like this.

So, hello again chicks. I'm breaking the cycle. I will hit goal in 2016. My life literally depends on it.
FickleHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/170

Height: 6,1

I hear ya. Holidays are tough. For me the toughest part is the come down after, because I turn to food when I'm feeling down...and then I feel more down, and because of all the down-ness it gets really tough for me to get on track in January...which can drag on and on if I let it.

I am JUST pulling myself together right now and not really happy about it, lol...day two of eating well (or better...at least, within reasonable calories for my height) and I'm all "meh, this sucks" and can't yet motivate my *** back to the gym, but today I had this thought:

It's not going to be any easier to get started tomorrow. But next week might be easier than this week if I have a few days' success under my belt.

That's what I'm clinging to today.
Bookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:44 AM   #3  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

A healthier lifestyle.

What needs to change, is how you look at it.

It's not a drudgery, or a chore.

It's your life!

Everything can fit, even pecan pie!

Thing is, you can buy or make a pie anytime of the year.

It's not only available at Christmas. Corn dogs at the fair, you can get them all year long at the store.

It's about choices. Make the better ones most of the time with food.

Exercise is good for us. Mobility, flexibility, the ability to walk the dog, pick up your kid, whatever.

I have found that, my 5 mile walks or trips to the gym, are my me time. I still, after many years of success, still some days, do not want to walk or do yoga, or go lift, but, I do it, because, I know, once I get going, I LOVE IT! And I always feel better, and more successful when I am done!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

Well, I love walking and when I get put back on my 8-5 shift next week, I'll be returning to my evening stroll with my dogs.

Unfortunately, I can't have pecan pie anymore. Not worth the blood sugar hike. But I understand what you are saying.

As for the drudgery and chore..... I never viewed losing weight in that perspective. I know the food that's better for me and over the last two months I chose to eat the opposite, due to social pressure and just being plain stubborn/stupid. My choice and I am dealing with the consequences. I posted pretty much to remind myself this diagnosis isn't the end of the world and is fixable hopefully. I spent 5 months eating no sweets and I was full and satisfied and rarely hungry.

That's a good way to look at it too Bookmark. Just as easy today as it is tomorrow. Why not today?

Anyhow, 3 lbs of what I gained off already, so maybe most of it really was water weight. /shrugs
FickleHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

The words that stick out to me in your post are "will power" and "shame."

It just doesn't have to be like that. Being active and eating healthy foods cannot be about will power. If they were about will power then nobody would be doing them. They are part of your daily life and you should treat them as such. Imagine if you had to muster up willpower to brush your teeth every day. Nope, it's just routine. Exercise is beyond routine, in fact it's a luxury to spend that time on yourself. Learn to love it, do it for the pleasure of enjoying movement rather than burning calories and it will become a part of you.

Same thing with food. There is no human on earth can tolerate eating food they don't like. People who seem naturally healthy and thin actually enjoy their food more than you can imagine. More than you do, that's for sure. They love salads, they love kale, they love broccoli, they love cake, they love it all and they eat it all. The one thing that is missing from their food is SHAME and GUILT! Shame and guilt only perpetuate a bad relationship with food. If you sit down with a slice of german chocolate cake and eat it without distractions, when you are truly hungry you will enjoy it and may end up eating less of it. Because it will be a complete experience where you use all your senses and leave guilt at the door. With intuitive eating and mindful eating I've learned that I truly do love salads, I really really love vegetables and all those healthy foods that before used to be a chore and a diet. I've learned to balance my food intake so that I can have lots of healthy foods and enjoy them, plus I don't feel deprived because I can and do indulge in play foods. I just don't need to binge on them anymore and I don't need guilt-inducing amounts of them anymore.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 108/105.8/60 kgs

Height: 5 foot 6

I'm mad at myself as well, for gaining about 4 kg over the xmas break.
All those 6 packs of mince pies, that I'd buy and eat the whole pack in one go. That's 2500 calories extra for every pack.
At least you are on the right track here. As the months go by, you'll get used to this new way of living and it won't feel like a sacrifice anymore.
sonickel77 is offline   Reply With Quote