Old 01-18-2016, 11:30 PM   #1  

Default Acceptable cold treatment

My wife and I begin IP about a week and a half ago and it's been going well but she has now started coming down with a cold and I'm curious what symptom remedies are acceptable to use during phase 1. I am hesitant to use most over the counter could medicine due to inclusions of sugar, alcohol and or acetaminophen ( I fear acetaminophen may not be good on a liver that is working hard to detox the body ) any suggestions folks may have would be greatly appreciated.
Acaughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 253.3 / 188.8 /195

Height: 5'5"

It depends on what symptoms you are trying to treat. For cough you could try Muccinex DM (tablet) (generic options are available).
smdawheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

You can use liquid cough medicine made for diabetics.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:16 AM   #4  

My coach advised me that Tylenol is fine, but if you have concerns, that's fair.

I always tend to stick to the more old-fashioned remedies instead of cold medications when I'm sick
-drink tons of water and hot liquids to loosen mucous
-use a humidifier in my room at night
-elevate the head of my bed (I usually just pile on the pillows) if I have a cough or am having a hard time breathing
-gargle with salt water and/or apple cider vinegar
-nasal rinses (eg Neti pot) if you want
-as much sleep as you can get
Juniper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 258/225/175

Height: 5'3"

What do you do about food when you have a bad bug? In the good old days my fallback would be saltines and ginger ale which are both off the list now. its hard to make yourself eat a bag of bbq crisps when you are nauseous
KPuttre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:18 PM   #6  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

When I had a cold on P1, I did a cold pill and sugar-free cough drops. Vicks vapor rub might be a good non-systemic way to manage also.

For the stomach flu, I think you do the best you can. If you are really dealing a serious flu, a few saltines shouldn't hurt you....you can always skip your restricted pack since the carbs values wouldn't be too different. Hope you feel better soon!
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Be careful, I used a CVS theraflu type medicine that said it had sugar free sweeteners. Whatever was in it, I was kicked out of ketosis and starving. Hope you wife is feeling better.
Slipfree is offline   Reply With Quote