Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 03:21 PM   #1  

Question Gastric By-pass info needed please

Hiya everyone. I am new to all of this and 1st let me say hello to everyone and I truly believe that every women has their own unique beauty that they need to recognize!

Secondly, I have had an on going battle with my weight since I was old enough to worry about it (12-13). I am now 22 and fed up with fighting all the time. I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about this Gastric by-pass I keep hearing about. My Boyfriend swear up and down that "they" would not even consider me for the procedure. However, coming from my b/f, I know he is just saying that to be nice .

Any info yall could give me would be a biiiig help! Thanks so much

Beth
Old 08-18-2003, 04:26 PM   #2  

Beth-I too was considering WLS...I'm about 100 pounds overweight (I believe that is the absolute minimum to make you a candidate). I often check the post on wls not because I decided to have it (i'm doing well on atkins and I decided wls isn't the right option for me)but becasue a dear friend of mine did have the surgery and I want to help me understand and her to gain some more info (she doesn't have a computer). I am certainly not nearly as knowledgeable as someone who has had the surgery but I do know this-WLS is not a quick fix, it's not something to do on a whim. It is a life altering MAJOR surgery and for many it is a last resort. For the majority of people who have the surgery it is a Godsend, but the road is long and it may not always be a smooth journey. I wish you well and please let me know if I can help you in any way.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:26 PM   #3  

Exclamation

HI Beth, please e mail me so that i can give you all the info you need on Gastric By Pass surgery, and a lesser surgery called Lap Band surgery. The both need to discussed in depth with people who have or are going into this relm of ther life. Judy
Old 08-18-2003, 09:25 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

Default beth, honey

we're talking a matter of scale. according to your profile, you're 5'2" and weigh 120 pounds. unless it's a typo and you're really 220 pounds, you're MAYBE only 10 pounds overweight.

since wls is reserved for those of us who are morbidly obese, with BMIs of at least 40 [or 38 with comorbidities], someone like you whose BMI is roughly 24 would not qualify under any circumstances.

it's not designed to prevent weight gain, nor is it a quick fix.

hope you find what you need, but from what i saw in your profile, wls is not the right choice for you
Old 08-19-2003, 10:47 AM   #5  

Hi Jiffypop, I got a message that you were looking for info. in GBS? Please e mail me so that I can give you all the info. and more on GBS, and if you want Lap Banding.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:22 AM   #6  
she who must be obeyed

diamondsonwater just exactly who are you?? If you have information, lay it out there. What information do you have that must be passed along in email??

If you are sincere in your quest for lap-banding or RNY we will welcome you with open arms, but all of your posts have mentioned emailing you for info.

All three of your posts say the same thing........email you for all the info.

by the way, Jiff is a long term post-op.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:12 PM   #7  

Hi debkay, I mean nothing by the email thing, that is how Iv always sent messages. What i have to say is a lot. I to will be undergoing Lap Band (Oct 6,03) and wanted to let Beth know to look carefully into all options before having GBS. it's a big surgery with some side effect that can be very debilitating. I belong to several GBS groups on line and have many friend who e mail my private e mail address. and they have undergon GBS and LB surgeries. I am sorry if I put any doubt into what i did on the posting. I am not a crumb looking to prey on anyone. I would like to talk with all of you , as I do need all the support i can get after even this surgery. Please forgive me for any mix ups? Judy
Old 08-19-2003, 01:56 PM   #8  
she who must be obeyed

No problem Judy. We have been "hit upon" by many who want to sell us "the Miracle" whatever that is.

We just post here on the board, the only thing we take into email or PM is personal. We're a friendly bunch and want to help each other.

I think I speak for most here when I say, join in, ask questions, make comments.

Welcome!
Old 08-19-2003, 03:11 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

and judy, i didn't send you any message asking for information. but feel free to post away in these forums [fora?]. we welcome all. and we used to have a couple of lapbanders around here, but they haven't been around for awhile. hope they come back.. they're nice ladies.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:19 PM   #10  

Default Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks a bunch to all of yall's info and help. ANd i do understand what my profile says But I am not at all what you are picturing.....I have a gut that looks like I am about 6 months pregnant! I have done sit ups leg riases and everything else under the sun..it just refuses to go away..But once again thanks for everything :grouphug

Beth
Old 08-19-2003, 09:00 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

hmmmm beth. an interesting visual... is it possible that your extra few pounds are concentrated in your gut? that happens to a lot of women. some find that if they lay off the white carbs it goes down. and others find that interval training helps get rid of it. and you're right... there are some things that all the sit ups in the world can't fix.

and what i say is: that's why the good Lord made plastic surgeons!!!!!
Old 08-21-2003, 08:38 PM   #12  

LOL thanks Jiffy. What exactly qualifies as white carbs....? Like bread and stuff...? any veggies that are white carbs?
Know any good plastic surgeons.....LOL
Old 08-21-2003, 10:50 PM   #13  
Old Cackler

yep!!!! i know several good plastic surgeons but it's not cheap and insurance companies will not pay for cosmetic procedures, only for reconstruction.

now, for the white carbs. white bread. white rice. white potatoes. anything made with sugar or white flour.

maybe check out the sugar busters forum? or low carb [great bunch of folks there] or south beach forum for some ideas and wisdom.

and a PS. i'm finally eating 'dinner' while i write this. 1/2 slice of very grainy 4-grain bread with some sharp cheddar, 1 tbs of cole slaw and 1 tbs of potato salad made with bleu cheese. can't finish the potato salad. thank goodness for dogs!!!!!

Last edited by jiffypop; 08-21-2003 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:16 PM   #14  

Default Lurker de-lurking

Beth,

I second Jiff's advice about low carbing to address belly fat and that, given your profile, you're not a gastric by-pass candidate.

However, when I read your post I couldn't help but remember having read about a young woman with severe ovarian cysts that caused (on an otherwise slim build) for her stomach to protrude to the point that she appeared pregnant.

It sounds like a trip the doctor might be a good idea -- even if just to address your issues about your weight.

Cara
Closed Thread