Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 09:20 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Default Wls Chat - Week August 18th

Good Morning Everyone,

Hope you don't mind me getting this started for you.
Weekend was great, no complaints. But what really made my weekend was the fact that Peachie came home

Enuf Said !!!
Old 08-18-2003, 11:21 AM   #2  
she who must be obeyed

Leenie you just start us up anytime you want!

I have my Nectar protein drink in front of me (my carribean cooler/cherry berry combination.) peachie have you tried any of the Nectar yet?

Had a busy Saturday with a support group meeting and than a Christmas Party planning meeting (for said support group.) Sunday was a lazy do-nothing sort of day.

Hubby is still in London, I really miss the old pain in the arse Scheduled to come home next Sunday.

It's hot and sticky here in the deep south, with band practice planned for this afternoon. This is always the trickiest time of year for practice, the kids have been in school all day, half of them don't eat lunch. They get out on the field in the hot sun and down they go. My nurse friend who is head chaperone (thank goodness we have an RN there) says the moment one goes, you usually have a few more and it's the truth.

Back to cleaning out junk, tomorrow is trash day.

Have a great Monday all.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:35 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Deb, whats in those drinks ? How far after surgery are you allowed to add carbs into your day ? and what kind of carbs do they allow.

Does anyone who has had the surgery keep track of calories, just out of curiosity ?
Old 08-18-2003, 02:55 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

could i answer instead of the woman who was unconscious for several months after her surgery???

nectar is some kind of whey based protein, but they've played with it so that it mixes easily into water and is a kind of juice-like drink. and it doesn't have that 'i've swallowed a jellyfish' feeling i get from isopure.

as for carbs. WELL.,, that's a matter of debate. for the first 3 months, you eat almost nothing but protein in any form: cheese, tofu, meat, fish, yogurt [if you can tolerate it - i can't]. and you can GRADUALLY add veggies in. if you have room. [and there are rules for veggies as well]

after three months, it's mostly protein and vegs. my guidelines said 70% protein, 30% vegs, and 10% carbs, which means small amounts of fruit as tolerated. [notice we haven't seen any bread or crackers or pasta or rice yet!]

whatever carbs you're eating should mostly be vegetable carbs, not grain carbs. and you have to be sure to pack vitamins into whatever you're eating. so that means baked sweet potatoes, not white ones.

if you insist, you can have about a tablespoon or rice or pasta or a couple of bites of bread or a couple of crackers every once in awhile. not everyday. the reason is that these slow down the weight loss, and they have so few nutrients that there's no point in eating them. combine that with the fact that the protein fills you up and there's no room for much else, and that you're not really craving the carbs ANYWAY [hard to believe, i know], carbs are a non-issue.

as you get closer to your 1-year anniversary, you can start adding WHOLE-GRAIN bread, pasta, brown rice. anything you have to chew. small amounts [i can't usually eat a slice of bread with my 3 oz of protein. just not enough room].

i've been eating whole grain melba rounds, and that dense german non-wheat bread made with whole grains a couple of days a week.

as for the calories, no one i know actually counts them, but we are all aware of what we're eating on some level.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:35 PM   #5  

Thank you so much for the informative post on what you eat and when. Do you start the protien drinks right after the surgery? I am trying to plan things to have when I come home from the hospital Hubby is a great supporter but I don't think he will want to be looking all ove the city for the stuff that I need. I am going to my Dr. support group this thursday but I am impatient. And can't wait to get started.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:17 PM   #6  

This my first post, and what a week I had. nevermind the weekend. I was on vacation in the North woods of N.H. What a week---T-storms to the point that I lost one tent to a lightning strike and a small tree falling on the tent, with me in it (Im O.K.), and my other tent striped of its poles. I was home by Wednesday, I just couldn't stand it anymore!! One good thing, I have other tents and plan to finish the trip over Columbus Day week!!! Am back to work first day today, the brain was still on vcation, the body dressed for work, and almost missed the bus to work because the brain just would not function. If any one want to know about Gastrict By Pass Surgery or Lap Band surgery PLease E MAIL ME AND i WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE INFO. YOU NEED. Please don't be shy, I really want to discuss the options with people who are considering these surgeries. I have a surgery date for the Lap Band in October. (The early part). Judy
Old 08-18-2003, 09:18 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

welcome judy!!! we're all interested in what's going on with you,...

and grammy... here's the deal. surgeons vary. my surgeon [who's in a group that's had about the best outcomes in the country] had me on clear liquids for a week, and then protein shakes and full liquids for another week, and then soft foods, then introducing foods gradually.

that was 18 months ago. and peachie had the same surgeon, and he's changed it a bit. she had only 48 hours of clear liquids, and then a couple of days of full liquids, and then soft foods for the first week.

let us know what your surgeon says..

oh just to be clear.. the protein shakes start after the clear liquids phase ends.

you sound so enthusiastic!!!!!
Old 08-18-2003, 09:25 PM   #8  

Little note here. Jiff is correct (does she love that or what?) BUT our surgeon did move me up faster food wise. the first 48 hours only clear liquids...except for protein drinks. He let me have them right off the bat...admitting that they are not entirely clear.

My friend took me to the rag shop today....it was fun to get out. I would type more but the lttle guy is hanging over my shoulder and now he can READ really really well....so....I am scootin out of here!

Old 08-18-2003, 09:41 PM   #9  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally posted by diamondsonwater
PLease E MAIL ME AND i WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE INFO. YOU NEED.
Hello, and welcome to 3FC I would like to suggest that you share any info on the forum instead of via email, unless it's a personal issue someone doesn't want to make public. Most of our visitors are guests and/or not logged in, and cannot PM you. Also, we ask that members not share their email addresses on the forum so they won't be picked up by spambots.

We wish you the best of luck with your surgery, and please feel free to share any details here, to help others that may be considering this option.

Suzanne
Old 08-18-2003, 10:39 PM   #10  

Dear Jiff, I go to the support group this thursday eve I will have a chance to ask questions of those that have had this procedure. I am glad that all of you are answering my questions as they come up. Since I have not been to one of the support groups yet I don't know what to expect or what they will talk about. At least now I will be more prepared to ask questions. Again thanks for all of the support and answers. Marsha
Old 08-18-2003, 11:05 PM   #11  
Hang In There

[size=huge] I'm not crazy!!![/size]

I had a followup appointment with my rheumotolist Friday, and he officially dx'ed me with Sjogrens Syndrome. For those of you who are not familiar with it, it's an autoimmune disease in the same family as Rheumotoid Arthritis and Lupus. In this particular disease, your body attacts the "lubricating glands" of the body. It explains why I have been feeling so bad for so long with what seemed like unrelated problems. It does not have a cure, but it is not life-threating, just a nusiance. It has "flares" like all autoimmune diseases and you never know which parts of your system will be affected. But I feel relieved to know that there is really something physically wrong, and not just in my head like I was beginning to believe.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:28 PM   #12  
Old Cackler

oh barb.. i don't know whether to be happy that you finally know what's wrong, or sad that it's something chronic!!!! but as long as you're glad you have a diagnosis and that you're not crazy, i'll be happy right along with you!

what are they going to do for you? treatments? how long until you feel better???

and marsha.. we haven't even touched the issue of vitamins and lifelong followup!!!! we'll be expecting a full report after your meeting
Old 08-19-2003, 05:11 AM   #13  
she who must be obeyed

Good early early morning.

Gosh Marsha, I so remember the excitment of going to my first support group meeting. Your day will be here before you know it.

Judy, please do share your information with us. I see that you are being banded, just because most of us had RNY, please know we have lots of support and would never, ever question the surgery you have decided is best for you.

Barb now that you have a name for what is going on with you, I hope relief is right around the corner.

Hey Leenie, the unconcious one here Jiff is right, I can't help anyone with the first few months after surgery questions, cause I don't remember

Well, band practice was all we expected it to be. We had 8-10 kids who were dealing with heat issues. Some of the kids caused a little of their own problems. One little girl had not eaten since the night before. Another little girl refuses to drink water. Teenagers, they think their bullet proof.

I have been up since 3:15, I will be so tired by this afternoon!!!

Well since I'm up, guess I'll go get something done.

Have a good day all
Old 08-19-2003, 05:36 AM   #14  

What the heck are you going to do this early morning, Debkay? sheesh....it is way to early to clean or be productive. Maybe I'll surf the net to see about vacation plans for april/may? That would be a happy thing.

8-10 kids!!!! wow.

Coffee is on...it is still decaf and not much fun at all. I can't believe I am drinking water this early let alone functioning.

later,
peach
Old 08-19-2003, 05:57 AM   #15  
she who must be obeyed

Hi peachie...........nope, not doing a thing. I had thought maybe I would clean the kitchen or something......I quickly decided against that.

Yea, vacation plans would be great!

Oh no, I don't want any stinkin' decaf Give me leaded or give me death! I have downed a full pot by myself this am........way too much coffee. Time to switch over to water......maybe!
Closed Thread