Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #1  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Default C25K / 5K / 10K and beyond - Who runs here?

Happy New Year everyone!

I haven't been on the forums for quite some time and a lot changed between my last active period here and now. I wanted to come back because I do remember how supportive and helpful everyone is here.

I started running with the C25K program almost 7 years ago now but only got fairly serious about it around 2 - 3 years ago.

The constant challenge with running and trying to get to goal weight is FOOD. What to eat, when to eat, how much, etc.

So as we enter a new year I am determined to finally get back to my goal weight AND improve my running at the same time.

Would be great to meet other runners, whether you are just starting or if you have run already other distances AND you are still trying to find balance with food. I have lots of runner friends, but none who have any sort of struggle with weight and food. At least, not that they let on

So who are my 3FC runners?
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:02 PM   #2  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

anyone?
Old 01-02-2016, 06:24 AM   #3  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Ok no one

that's ok
Old 01-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #4  

I'm here -- I run, and I hate it LOL!! I skipped all the small stuff and started at a half marathon (with very little practice!), since then, I've done 6 half marathons, and last year I did (3) 10ks, and I don't think I've done a 5k yet! I'm super slow, but I just try to focus on me (and not being the last person!). I did couch to 5K and hated it...mainly because I have really bad anemia and can't run that long without being out of breath. I started with my local Galloway running group, which is more my speed. They do intervals, depending on how fast or slow you run, so you go out with a group of people, all at the SAME pace, and you all stay together. I like it because when I run with friends, or running groups or anyone else, I always fall behind. With Galloway, I am with people who also run like me, and I don't feel like the odd-ball!

I run and eat Paleo, which is completely opposite of the "fuel up with carbs" mentality. I used to eat nothing before running (until one very bad hot summer day, I learned my lesson) and got scolded by my run group! I hate working out with food on my stomach, I can go lift weights for 2 hours on a fasted stomach, but not running, I learned. I had to work around the carb filled suggestions and eat what was good for ME and my way of eating. Instead of oatmeal, power bars, bananas and juice, I'd have 2 hard boiled eggs (add salt for electrolytes and cramping), some bacon slices, and a few sips of grapefruit juice. I know that can get me 8-9 miles, and afterwards, I'd eat again. More low carb, maybe some coffee even. It's hard to explain to people why you eat the way you do, but you will have to try a lot of clever workarounds to fuel your body and stick with the diet.
vonvonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:42 PM   #5  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I'm here, I'm here! Perfect timing, too! Well, kind of. I haven't exactly been running lately... I did Couch to 5K starting last March, ran my first two 5K races over the summer, worked myself up to 4.5 miles, then moved to a higher elevation where I never got my stamina past 3 miles before it turned to winter (although I did manage to get to my best 2 mile pace ever, so there's that).

My goal is to run a 10K this summer! The trouble is finding the time and weather to train. I'm still managing to do some biking so my cardiovascular health is still there, but my asthma suffers in the cold, too.

So my second, more immediate, goal is to find a new doctor and get my asthma figured out so I can run in the cold.

PinkyPie - Do you have any running goals this year? Do you find food to only really be an issue when you're doing longer runs? I guess I haven't encountered it so I'm curious! I generally just don't eat before a run, and that's all I have to think about. If it's a longer run, I'll usually have an apple or banana. Just gotta go with what feels right!

Last edited by nonameslob; 01-04-2016 at 05:42 PM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:14 PM   #6  

There is nothing worse than not eating enough before a run...when your stomach starts growling (major growling!) at mile 4 of a 10 mile run. 6 miles of hangry thoughts is torture. 😂 You replay everything you should have eaten, could have eaten, and will eat in the future as soon as you can get back to the car! Then, you have to come back to reality that you can't eat 90% of what mentally got you through the run. 😔
vonvonnie is offline   Reply With Quote