Old 11-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #1  

Default Where's my motivation hiding?!

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on these boards for about six weeks and have read enough threads that I thought it was time to introduce myself! Everyone here is so inspiring, and knowledgeable!
Six weeks ago I decided that I would give IP a shot after seeing a family member who has done the program and had great success! I was pumped to get started, but fully starting seems to be an issue with me! I've started and stopped numerous times so far, I just can't seem to get my head in the game . From reading so many threads I've come to realize a few things about myself.. 1- I'm a complete sugar addict, 2- I have habits that need broken, 3- My willpower stinks!!! I'm doing everything I can to get moving with this great program again tomorrow, hopefully it will be my last start! One of my main issues is that I don't like many vegetables. I'm hoping that will change with time, but for now the only one's I enjoy are mushrooms, red and green peppers, cucumbers, and celery. I have a hard time getting all of the vegetables in for the day, so if anyone has any tips, I would be grateful! Also, I'm a busy (single) Mom to three girls and I attend college full-time so I'm having a hard time meal planning to fit guidelines.
I hope to become more active on these boards, you all seem like great support and I look forward to getting to know you!
kitdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #2  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

My daughter is doing IP with me, and she is an avowed veggie hater, with just a few vegetables on the list that she actually likes. But this is what she does to get her vegetables in:

1. Raw spinach blended into a shake in the a.m. Although the shake turns green, you can't taste the spinach. Easy way to get 1 cup down right away.
2. Dehydrated zucchini - zucchini chips. Nice substitute for crispy, salty potato chips.
3. Cauliflower "fried rice." Quick and easy, and kids usually like it, too.
4. Turnips or rutabagas made into french fries. Not as crispy as potatoes, but they have a good flavor.

Sometimes you have to muscle through the first week and once you see the drop in the scale, that's a motivator to keep going. My daughter kept wanting to quit in the first 2 weeks, but as the weight kept coming off, she was more and more committed. She's lost 25 pounds in about 6 weeks.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

I'm not much of a veggie fan myself and I don't like cooked vegetables. I make a big salad everyday with the veggies I do like and use my allotment of olive oil to make dressing.

The spinach in the shake is a really good idea! I may have to give that one a whirl.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #4  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydoodle View Post

The spinach in the shake is a really good idea! I may have to give that one a whirl.
Some people do 2 cups, but I always feel like that's too much for me to handle. I think the spinach does help make the shake more filling.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #5  

Thank you both for your replies! Those are great ideas which I will incorporate! I have tried so many times to learn to love veggies, but I guess it's an acquired taste?!
Spinach blended in a smoothie is great, I have tried that and don't mind it at all. I also tried eating it with tuna....nope!
I'm going to spend my weekend looking through the recipe and daily "what are you eating" threads and try to prepare for the entire week...hopefully that will make things easier!
Old 11-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #6  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitdee View Post
Thank you both for your replies! Those are great ideas which I will incorporate! I have tried so many times to learn to love veggies, but I guess it's an acquired taste?!
Spinach blended in a smoothie is great, I have tried that and don't mind it at all. I also tried eating it with tuna....nope!
I'm going to spend my weekend looking through the recipe and daily "what are you eating" threads and try to prepare for the entire week...hopefully that will make things easier!
Kitdee - you didn't mention whether you are doing straight IP or with alternatives. If you are incorporating alternatives, then I highly recommend you get Quest protein powder (flavors of your choosing) as with your busy schedule, you can bake a batch of cookies or muffins and take them on the run. What I found by doing IP the first time and doing solely with their products, I always needed a microwave or I would resort to a shake when I didn't have a microwave that I didn't find that satisfying (I didn't consume any restricted so a bar was not in my selection as I wanted to lose fat as fast as possible). I did have a very travel heavy schedule the 2nd time and baking the items and bringing them along was perfect for me. Also, the recipe for making cookies is very simple/minimalistic...
Simply 1 scoop of powder with 1/2 tsp baking powder and 2 oz water. I make 10 at a time and store them in the fridge. My favorite is the chocolate but you can get them in numerous flavors. Some dieters have noted sensitivities to WF or sugar free products but if you make the recipe above, you wouldn't have to worry about any of that so no need to worry that you won't lose as fast, etc.

In regards to vegetables, this program as taught me to like them as it introduced ways to cook them that I liked as well as introducing me to vegetables I had never tried and never heard of!
So, along those lines, here are some suggestions:
1 - Use vegetables as like a fruit. Rhubarb, Zucchini and chayote squash are good for that. I like tart things so making rhubarb to me is like the middle of a pie. Also, I made a rhubarb "jelly" yesterday for Thanksgiving that to me, tasted like Sherbet ice cream. I have made zucchini like baked apples - awesome! Both of these satisfied my sweet tooth which you noted you have. I am not a fan of chayote squash but others are which is why I mentioned it.
2 - Use cauliflower as a potato/rice replacement. I steam 2 cups crumbled cauliflower and add it to my chicken soup. This is just like cream of chicken rice soup. I eat this every day for lunch - I love it! If you tell me it tastes like vegetables, I would say no way!!!
3 - I love to cook zucchini sautéed with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. I find it as a great replacement for pasta.
4 - You can make jicama fries but you need to make sure you cook the jicama long enough; otherwise, it tastes like a raw potato.
There are lots of other ideas - these were just a few to get you started.
A couple of other tips:
I bought microwave steaming dishes from Amazon that are perfect time saver/convenience for 2 cups vegetables. This is what I cook my cauliflower or broccoli in.
I buy crumbled cauliflower to save time which I get at Target.

Last edited by Ro22; 11-27-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22 View Post
Kitdee - you didn't mention whether you are doing straight IP or with alternatives. If you are incorporating alternatives, then I highly recommend you get Quest protein powder (flavors of your choosing) as with your busy schedule, you can bake a batch of cookies or muffins and take them on the run. What I found by doing IP the first time and doing solely with their products, I always needed a microwave or I would resort to a shake when I didn't have a microwave that I didn't find that satisfying (I didn't consume any restricted so a bar was not in my selection as I wanted to lose fat as fast as possible). I did have a very travel heavy schedule the 2nd time and baking the items and bringing them along was perfect for me. Also, the recipe for making cookies is very simple/minimalistic...
Simply 1 scoop of powder with 1/2 tsp baking powder and 2 oz water. I make 10 at a time and store them in the fridge. My favorite is the chocolate but you can get them in numerous flavors. Some dieters have noted sensitivities to WF or sugar free products but if you make the recipe above, you wouldn't have to worry about any of that so no need to worry that you won't lose as fast, etc.

In regards to vegetables, this program as taught me to like them as it introduced ways to cook them that I liked as well as introducing me to vegetables I had never tried and never heard of!
So, along those lines, here are some suggestions:
1 - Use vegetables as like a fruit. Rhubarb, Zucchini and chayote squash are good for that. I like tart things so making rhubarb to me is like the middle of a pie. Also, I made a rhubarb "jelly" yesterday for Thanksgiving that to me, tasted like Sherbet ice cream. I have made zucchini like baked apples - awesome! Both of these satisfied my sweet tooth which you noted you have. I am not a fan of chayote squash but others are which is why I mentioned it.
2 - Use cauliflower as a potato/rice replacement. I steam 2 cups crumbled cauliflower and add it to my chicken soup. This is just like cream of chicken rice soup. I eat this every day for lunch - I love it! If you tell me it tastes like vegetables, I would say no way!!!
3 - I love to cook zucchini sautéed with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. I find it as a great replacement for pasta.
4 - You can make jicama fries but you need to make sure you cook the jicama long enough; otherwise, it tastes like a raw potato.
There are lots of other ideas - these were just a few to get you started.
A couple of other tips:
I bought microwave steaming dishes from Amazon that are perfect time saver/convenience for 2 cups vegetables. This is what I cook my cauliflower or broccoli in.
I buy crumbled cauliflower to save time which I get at Target.
Thanks for the tips! Sorry I didn't mention what products I'm using in my first post! I'm using a bit of both IP and alternatives, mainly due to price. I love the RTD Cappuccino drinks from IP (I live in Canada and have a slight addiction to Iced Caps from Tim Horton's), so those are my go to in the morning. I've had a hard time finding a powder that I enjoy..so far I've tried Pure Protein and Hydroxycut RTD. I will head to GNC grab some Quest as soon as I can though, baking with it seems like a great alternative!
Old 11-28-2015, 06:45 AM   #8  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Almost everyone likes Quest, although few people complain that it's too sweet. I love the chocolate and peanut butter flavors.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:14 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Height: 5'4"

I'm all about the Quest Peanut Butter- in fact, I just finished my morning shake-handful of spinach, some ice, 1 scoop of the powder-and this morning..added a tablespoon of WF chocolate dip- as close to a "Reese's" as I think I can get! ☺
Destony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 203.8/135/135

Height: 5"2"

My morning go to is the spinach shake too. Almost any powder works, I like the IP chocolate and cappucino, Quest PB or choc (or mix the 2), proti thin too. I use 2c water, 2c spinach 2 c ice. makes a huge batch. I have half early morning, then the other half late morning, makes it easier to get through till lunchtime.
blueskiesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:48 PM   #11  
IP start April 20, 2015

S/C/G: 227.5/136/140

Height: 5'4

Kitdee
The first week is absolute he%%. There's no way around it. I wanted to chew on the table, or my arm or anything. I think I went through sugar withdrawal. Your body is eliminating the carbs and the cravings are the worst. My coach warned me that this protocol is mentally tough. As other's said, you have to muscle through it. After that, the craving and the hunger goes away.
Be strong, you can do it. It is SOOOOO worth it!
And stay on these threads for support. We've all been there.
livinlrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:09 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinlrg View Post
Kitdee
The first week is absolute he%%. There's no way around it. I wanted to chew on the table, or my arm or anything. I think I went through sugar withdrawal. Your body is eliminating the carbs and the cravings are the worst. My coach warned me that this protocol is mentally tough. As other's said, you have to muscle through it. After that, the craving and the hunger goes away.
Be strong, you can do it. It is SOOOOO worth it!
And stay on these threads for support. We've all been there.
Lol...I hope you held back from chewing on the table..not such a good look! I'm ready for it, I know it's going to suck, but I'm prepared to deal with it and carry on!
I just got back from doing groceries...I now have spinach, zucchini, cauliflower, mushrooms, peppers, cucumber, celery, chocolate Quest, and Pure Protein bars on hand. I got this, and thanks a bunch to all of you for your great tips!!!