Old 11-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #1  

Default The world of work

Hi just wondering if anyone here has problems finding and holding down a job due to weight issues. Or if you do work what kind of work do you do? I suffer from back pain due to my weight and just can't seem to get fit for work. I do some volunteer work sat at a desk half a day a week which is ok. When I was slim I seemed to just walk into jobs but now its getting a lot harder to do. Can anyone relate to this? Thanks
sammy112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Hi Sammy!
Can you give us an idea of what you enjoy doing?
Thanks.
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:36 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubee View Post
Hi Sammy!
Can you give us an idea of what you enjoy doing?
Thanks.
Yes hi I am currently looking for office work rather than physical work. I actually enjoy acting and the performing arts and try to volunteer when I can. I just think there is prejudice against big people in the corporate sector I may be wrong it's just a gut hunch. Thanks for getting back to me!
Old 06-03-2016, 06:27 AM   #4  
Determind Member

S/C/G: 323/313/168

Height: 5ft 6"

I used to struggle a few years back when working in hospitality with my feet. OOhh the pain I would get in my feet after a shift was ridiculous. Luckily I've taken the time to go back to University and finish my Honours degree which I won a scholarship for, so I did not need to go to work to support it. In July, I will be going back to office work, however I dont think that hospitality will be in my life until I loose a little more weight.
Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 387/361/155

Height: 5'2

I was successful in corporate America, despite of my physique. I'm educated, experienced, and am very, very good at what I do. (EDIT: Damn, that sounded egotistical when I reread it.) That said, I chose to leave corporate American and join a former colleague to help him grow his small business about a year ago. I haven't looked back. I have received calls from former colleagues and partners since I resigned from my corporate gig asking if I'd consider going back to that environment. (I chose to not do so because I'm *happy* with my employer for the first time in a very long time.)

Knowing the right people is so much more important than your dress size. Dress as nicely as you can. Be friendly. Go to happy hour. If there are networking events, volunteer to attend.

Don't be a wallflower. Know your strengths. Demonstrate your worth. Make sure others are aware of your strengths and willingness to be a team player and help where you can.

Last edited by Swinella; 06-19-2016 at 11:30 PM.
Swinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 331/191/170

Height: 5'10

HI Sam - I struggled with finding work - I have never been small so no Idea on what walking into jobs was like - done office work but my back hurt from even sitting down as I had slipped a disc in the lumbar curve previously
Now I teach swimming in the water so it supports the back and I can work for up to 4 hours at a time

that's some great advice Swinella good luck with the job hunt
Karencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:48 AM   #7  

Hi, thanks for the replies, really good to hear, and Swinella, that's fantastic what you have achieved. Yes, your advice about getting out there and knowing the right people is so true. I used to hide away but have more recently been getting out and about more and have found a part-time job doing admin so no real physical strain there. I walk the dog twice a day, I am thinking of walking her further to challenge myself (and her!). She has been a real tonic to me in getting me out of the house. I woke up this morning feeling really down about my size but I've got to carry on regardless. Hate it when you try on new clothes and they are too tight! Never mind. I am determined to shift this weight now. Thanks for the advice again.