South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 04:42 PM   #1  

Default Fibercon?

Hi everyone!

I am in my first week of Phase 1, and have lost 5 lbs! I have about 10 more to go.

I noticed that in the excerpt of SBD that I read in last month's Fitness Rx that a fiber supplement is recommended? I have had (warning...here it comes) some constipation problems with Atkins in the past (cheese) so I bought a bottle of Fibercon.

On the bottle though, it says to not use for more than 2 weeks. I'm not trying to use it as a laxative, but more as a fiber supplement.

I am trying to have lots of the approved veggies, but would like to keep some form of fiber supplement to keep things going, if you know what I mean.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-16-2003, 05:27 PM   #2  
God, Give me strength !!

S/C/G: 240/240/150

Height: 5'7

I really do not have any suggestions, but I LIVED on Fibercon when I was pregnant with Madison I tell ya it was like a Life saver to me. It did reallt well in helping with Constipation.

I personally always head for FC when I have *umm Issues*
Old 08-16-2003, 08:26 PM   #3  

Jessie, Congrats on the 5 pounds. I believe the fiber reccomended is metamucil which is basically the same thing. I have those same problems when I increase my fiber intake. Kashi cereal would do me in every time. I don't have the problem eating veggies. Good luck..........Julie
Old 08-17-2003, 04:38 PM   #4  

I believe the kind of fiber recommended is Psyllium husks. This is what Metamucil is made from. You can buy this in it's straight form from most drug stores or health food stores, with no added ingredients like flavor or color. Metamucil mixes easily as it is a ground up form of psyllium. It is harder to find the ground up pure psyllium husk powder, but if you are interested a company called Yerba Prima makes it. But Trader Joes has the regular psyllium husk product at a very reasonable price. I have found that you can put it in a coffee grinder and powder it. I squeeze some lemon into a glass of water, add some non-calorie sweetner, add a teaspoon of psyllium and mix. It still has some texture, but I don't mind it. By the way, this recipe (except with sugar free cranberry juice instead of lemon) comes from the Fat Flush Diet. It is called a long life cocktail and she recommends it twice a day. (That program is similar to SB except wayyy more restrictive!) Anyway, this is cheaper than Metamucil and is not processed. It does have calories and carbs (negligible), but it is in the form of undigestible fiber so your body can't absorb any of it.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:19 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Remember to be sure to eat good fats too! Your body needs at least 20 grams of fat daily to facilitate absorption of vitamins and minerals. That may help the "problem".
Old 08-17-2003, 06:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/245/130

Height: 5'2"

Have you tried Benefiber (it is made by ex-lax)....

It is a "grit-free non thickening flavor free sugar free " fiber supplement....

You cant taste it.... you can mix it in water.... put it over your food.... put it in coffee...etc..... really wherever you want...

I have really liked it... not grity and yucky....

I typically put it over my cereal in the morning or mix it in my juice...

Recommended Dosage is 1-2 tbsp up to 3 times daily..... 1 tbsp is 3g dietary fiber....

Try it!
Old 08-17-2003, 11:30 PM   #7  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Angel,

Thanks for the Benefiber suggestion! I will get some in prep. for the SBD days... I have a bottle of Stop & Shop Natural Fiber Laxative (100% natural psyllium husks) with natural and artifical orange flavor. I used it when I was briefly on Atkins for 1 month in February, and it is GROSS.

I drank it mixed with OJ or plain water, but it was like drinking goopy gunk. Very nasty. As a result of my dislike for it, my toilet and I no longer had our normal healthy, um, relationship.

This fed me up enough so that I fell off Atkins with a crash at a party of my uncle's and ate chicken fajitas and CHERRY PIE WITH ICECREAM. Egads... And it was all a gaining disaster after that, from 179 to 198.

Onto the SBD!
Sarah
Old 08-19-2003, 02:18 PM   #8  
Member Florida Chick

I find flax seed to be helpful. In the book on phase two he recommends Uncle Sam cereal, which has 10 grams of fiber, because it has flax as well as whole grain. If you can't find Uncle Sam, you can get flax seed in the bulk in nataural food stores. I just sprinkle it on my cereal, in my oatmeal or where ever. I'm not worried about whatever calories, neglible I think, because it just works for me. I think I might try the benefiber too. That sounds like a solution. Ann
Closed Thread