Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-24-2015, 07:52 AM   #1  

Unhappy lifting with Sciatica? can anyone help?

I developed sciatica this year. I had a few months where I would have to spend the whole day in bed it was so bad. I went to the doc, got physical therapy & an continuing on anti-inflamitories, ice, etc. My biggest problem is I really want to start lifting again. Before when it got better I'd try light body weight exercises and I'd have a massive flair, be back to square one.

What I am wondering is if anyone here lifts and has chronic sciatica, can you please give me some advice? Not being able to do squats is making my knees very very bad, I also feel like a bag of lard. At least when I am lifting the extra weight I am still losing bothers me less.
Xbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #2  
Earning back my muscles

S/C/G: 184/184/size 8

Height: 5'5

I only had it for a few weeks-just over a month at a time, but it it truly awful! I feel so bad that you're dealing with this. I tried so many things-but what really helped was yoga. Just gentle yoga at home. Especially the inversion poses like downward dog, propping my feet up over my head, the twist poses, bridge pose. I don't remember what else, but anything that felt good, I did it. If it didn't, I stopped

I still do yoga now, and notice if I don't do it at least weekly, my back starts flaring up! It's a reminder because in a day to day basis, I don't consider myself to have a bad back thankfully (but I apparently do)

Yoga so I can lift! It's a good trade

Last edited by HIheart; 09-24-2015 at 10:57 AM.
HIheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

I wholeheartedly second the yoga suggestion!
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 130/108/104

Height: 5'3

I find that if I let my core go...my sciatica really acts up. There are still some light squat moves that aggravate it, and forget bending over with any weights or vacuuming.

Interesting sciatica is not always weight related, but it is very posture and body mechanics related. I have like 0 muscles in my legs and a genetic spinal stenois, so even at my low weight, I can still aggravate it because my back bears too much of the weight of my basic body mechanics. One thing I learned, never hold any weight out in front of your body, keep it close to your core.
chubbysmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:52 PM   #5  

Dont push to much on yourself if you have restrictions. The extra weight you carry may damage the joints, or ligaments in your spine. give it time to heal. You can still lose weight with mild exercises accompanied with healthy diet.
qualityinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:43 AM   #6  

This isn't any problem, but it can be if you will not take proper rest. Injury takes time for healing. Without proper rest and treatment, injury can become very hard to overcome. You have a full life for doing squat and lifting weight, but i think now you should not go for exercise in pain.
henrybarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #7  

Please do not lift. I tried this with a fracture. You might feel distressed about it.
iopsydoc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #8  

I discover that when I dont run or make Zumba I get pain in my lower back... although I do weight lifting.. so I try to mix things up! and somehow stretch my back...
Amanda655 is offline   Reply With Quote