Exercise! - New to running

View Full Version : New to running

ladaha
08-14-2003, 12:41 PM
Any tips I hate to run but oprah has inspired me. She said she hates to run but what does she hate more? running or being fat! I started running monday and My lungs start to burn in the first few min. will that eventually get better or am I breathing wrong? What streatches are the best for my prerun streatch?

LynneD
08-14-2003, 02:21 PM
Ladaha,

This is so great!! Keep it up!!!

It *does* get easier, better, faster, less sucky as you get fitter. :)

There is no wrong way to breath...get that breathe in any way you can. I usually take an in for two foot falls and then an out for two footfalls. But whatever works for you is great!

Sooooo much of running is in your mind, not your lungs. Once I got past the minor discomforts and started to celebrate my running, it got a bit easier.

All that said, no matter *how* fit you are, you'll have good running days and you'll have not-so-good running days...just like life. :)

Take your time, follow a plan, progress slowly. As you lose weight and get fitter, you'll find it a bit easier and more enjoyable. Persistance, not perfection. Stick-to-it-iveness is what counts. :)

I'm running my first marathon this year and keeping a journal of it. If you're interested in reading it, visit lynned.pitas.com

Good luck and feel free to write for support if you need it. :)

lynne
LynneDurham at yahoo dot you know what.

ladaha
08-14-2003, 05:06 PM
lynn, thanks for your positive words. How long were you excersizing before you saw a difference in your body?

jeeplaw
08-17-2003, 10:31 AM
Hi Ladaha. I'd like to put my 2 cents in as well. Running is a GREAT way of losing weight, making that metabolism mechanism inside your body spin faster and faster, burning more and more calories. It will be EXTREMELY tough to get started. Believe me I know. At my heaviest I was 275lbs. I had so much trouble just breathing no matter running. Well, slowly I started with my set route. Concentrating on breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth. And no matter what your body feels like, try not to walk! It's hard, but at the same time it's a mental challenge. Run slow, or jog slow.

Make sure you have comfy shoes that support you. If not, your joints will really take a beating. Focus on running shoes that fit well, not to tight or loose. This will make a big difference.

Small steps will lead into big steps, big steps into strides, strides into sprints. Believe me. I've been there and done it. Keep your motivation and determination, and the new you will be here sooner than you think.

David

easygoer
08-17-2003, 11:54 AM
Hi Ladaha,

Here is a page I used as a guideline for stretching before a run:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

Have fun!!

RavenToy
08-17-2003, 12:17 PM
Personally I found that the interval training (run/walk/run/walk) worked very well for me to break into running. There was no way in heck that I could have maintained even a slow jog for 20 minutes, let alone a run. But I COULD do a warm up fast walk, then slow run, then faster run, then fast walk, rinse and repeat. This enabled me to build my wind up without getting completely discouraged. I also lifted weights to build up my muscle strength. Now there are some days when I run as fast as I can for as long as I can, then there are days when I interval, some days I like a longer, slower run. IMO all you need to do is listen to your body. I do know that if you can get through the initial "I don't feel like this, my body hurts, I'm slow..." feeling when you first start your run (for me it's the first 10-20 minutes, depending on the day) then usually you're so pumped that it's almost hard to stop. In February when I first started, I couldn't run for more than a tenth of a mile without feeling like I was dying. Now I can run for a mile and a half easy, two miles is a little harder. I haven't attempted three yet. I also found that sometimes, a week off is a good thing. I inadvertantly missed about a week of running, and thought I'd have a terrible time coming back, but instead, I came back even stronger and faster.

Each person has their own style, their own preferred method, and has to experiment to find out what's going to work best for them. But I have to say, running is still one of the most exhilarating feelings going! Good luck!

ladaha
08-17-2003, 03:10 PM
easygoer! thanks for the site! It is now on my favorites list. So much of the time if you can not run 2 miles in 10 minutes you are made to feel why the heck are you trying! This site did not do that at all!!!

LynneD
08-18-2003, 11:02 AM
ladaha,

I do a very comprehensive wellness program, including eating right and exercising vigorously and often. I started in January, I started noticing results on the scale immediately; I started noticing results in the mirror within a month and other people started noticing results within two months.

I've lost nearly 60 pounds now! :)

Lynne

LynneD
08-18-2003, 06:54 PM
I agree completely with what RavenToy said! When I first started running, I, too, did walk/run/walk intervals until I worked my way up to just running. :)

Lynne
lynned.pitas.com

ladaha
08-19-2003, 12:43 AM
Wahoo! I made it from 10 min walk/run last week to 12 man will I ever make it to 20? I really had to push myself for the last 3 min. Oh well I did it thanks to all who have encouraged me!

scooby2
08-19-2003, 06:30 AM
HI there - check our www.newrunner.com they have some great info for new runners!!

ladaha
08-20-2003, 12:41 AM
how many days a week do you all run? is 5 to many to expect?

RavenToy
08-20-2003, 05:51 AM
Ladaha - I usually run 5 days a week and lift 3, but I also take a week off every couple months. I think a lot of it depends on how much sleep you get, what you eat, what other exercises you're doing.

You definitely will make it to 20, just don't give up. I will never forget the first time I ever got on a treadmill - it was over 11 years ago and I weighed 245 pounds. I couldn't even WALK for more than 5 minutes. I felt horrible. But I kept pushing it each day, just a little bit. That year is a bit of a blur for me, because that's the year my mom passed away and I decided to get a divorce but... I do remember waking up from my fog one day and realizing I was running 10 minutes at a time, and doing a total time of 45 minutes or a total distance of 3 miles. And I'd lost nearly 80 pounds. Unfortunately when I moved down to GA I let myself gain quite a bit of that back, but I'm back into running and lifting again, and it's coming off. This time it's going to STAY off! :D

So whatever you do, don't give up... each walk/run is a victory! :bravo:

LynneD
08-20-2003, 03:38 PM
Ladaha,

I run 5-7x weekly, including twice a day sometimes...and I always take at least one day off.

5x weekly might be too much to start out for some people but not others. So just listen to your body. If you're feeling strong, go ahead and do it. If you're getting sore, tired and cranky, back off. You don't want to burn out and sabotage your efforts!

Some of my runs are very short distance-wise (20 minutes of intervals). I do those 3x weekly in the AM. Then, I do 2-3 short- to mid-distance runs a week in the afternoons and one long run on the weekend.

It also helps if you set a goal of doing a race (well, at least it helps me!). Choose one that's far enough out that you know you'll be sufficiently prepared, but close enough that you have to be working on it right up until race time.

Runner's World has some great resources and training plans!

Lynne
lynned.pitas.com

HatterasMermaid
08-20-2003, 11:02 PM
Hello, I'm new to this thread....

I am searching for something "new"...and for whatever reason, I've decided RUNNING is it! Yikes! I have bookmarked the pages suggested above! Will read them as soon as I post this note!

Today, I put on my usual exercise clothes and instead of doing my Firm tape, I stretched a bit and took off down the drive way. I set my goal for the stop sign at the end of my street....I nearly died, but made it there! I walked down the other street a bit until my breathing became easier...and then took off from the stop sign for my driveway. YIKES! I did it...and tomorrow, I'm going to do it again! It is a VERY short distance....but I did it!

My goal for the end of next week: to run there and back without having to walk in the middle...??? I'm not too sure I'm doing this right! LOL

any advice for a VERY new runner....hehehee...so new I don't think it counts!

Thanks,
Robyn
215.5/173/150ish by the end of the year or sooner!

LynneD
08-21-2003, 08:49 AM
Hatteras:

It counts! :) Congratulations!

The beginning running plan at newrunner.com is GREAT.

Remember: all it takes is consistency, not perfection.

Welcome to the world of running! Keep up the great work!

Lynne
lynned.pitas.com

funkmastermel77
08-21-2003, 03:55 PM
hi fellow aspiring runners!

i think oprah has the RIGHT idea... and i think 3 years ago, i decided the same thing myself.

i was around 185lbs when i started walk/run and i can say that if you make a commitment to do it every night, even for 20-30 minutes, you can build up your endurance. 3 years, down to 150lbs, i can say running has been a MAJOR factor in my weight loss and sustaining my health and its definitely a major part of my fitness program at 3-4x a week, averaging 3 miles. i couldn't run to the stop sign to save my LIFE, and now 2 miles is no problem, at a steady 5.3 pace. i love running... it clears my head, it makes your head and your body strong... it can be such a mental high... nothing feels as good as a good run!

here are my tips:

*stretch really well before you go. target your back, butt, hips, thighs, and hams especially. but you really want to stretch the whole body good and well so youre flexible.

*stretch after, too. its important so your muscles youre introducing to a joggers life dont get too tight.

*breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth. this will eliminate that sharp pain you might get in your side (which can also be from too little or too much water, but mostly from bad breathing).

*go soft on your knees. concentrate on small steps first, slow pace. dont try to be a sprinter just yet. no one cares what time you finish the race as long as you finish!

*wear appropriate shoes/clothing so you feel comfortable enough for your run.

*interval is good. i live in the city, so when i started running, id run walk one block, run one/ walk one block, run two/ walk one block, run three... so on and so forth. if you can, get someone to join you...

*get a good soundtrack. great music is always a great motivation for me to run. it used to be angry bitter love songs at one point LOL.

good luck!! i hope you all get in the groove!

*mel

HatterasMermaid
08-21-2003, 04:23 PM
I just wanted to post that I did my "run" again this morning! I ran to the corner...then did my good ole speed walking to another side street...turned around "speed walked" back to the stop sign and ran home! :) Today it was the run home before I thought I was going to die! Which is 3/4 of the "trip"...instead of death thoughts in the first 1/4 like yesterday! Yipee!

Here is a question...when do you get over worrying about what you look like? Ie, I'm just *SURE* that every car's occupants are laughing their heads off as they pass me......Nothing like having confidence, huh?!

Thanks for the info and encouragement, Mel and Lynne! Lynne, I have visited your site...and have to admit I don't even understand 1/2 of what you're talking about...ie, I don't know the terms! BUT...I find your journey very encouraging!

Mel, I noticed that your highest weight and mine are nearly the same. I've got quite a bit further to go....but...I'm going to get there! :)

thanks, ya'll!
Robyn
215.5/172(I weighed today! yahoo!)/150ish
Thanks!

LynneD
08-21-2003, 07:41 PM
Robyn,

Thanks for pointing out the acronym issue. I forget that not everyone is doing the same programs I am. I posted an entry on my journal about what all the acronyms mean, but here's a rundown:

BFL = Body for Life, a weightlifting, cardio, eating program
WW = Weight Watchers
LSD = Long , slow distance
HIIT = high intensity interval training

Did I miss any?

I'm glad today was a day off on my training plan...it topped out at 101 near my home!

Lynne
lynned.pitas.com

funkmastermel77
08-22-2003, 10:33 AM
hey there hatteras:

congrats on having a good run. it feels so good doesnt it?

i used to have that self-conscious thing too. what i like to do sometimes is wear a hat/glasses (one or both) and my walkman and just try to push it out of my head anyway. i was always thinking they were laughing at me... and then i started running through the city streets and used idly walking people as i ran by--cause id have this fear in my head that if i stopped theyd be thinking "well why did she even try..." god, i know all about those thoughts! but, i suffered and perservered through it... and i can tell you, im better for it!

if you keep at this, i promise youll see such a positive result within 2 months and by 6 months you'll start to really feel strong. the thing is, for me, running is a very mental thing... its overcoming your fears, challenging your body, and then chlallenging your mind to cut out the madness and push you to keep going until you feel like you want to die... and with a strong mind, youll be surprised how much more you can go!!

good luck!
*melanie

HatterasMermaid
08-22-2003, 10:48 AM
Hi again!

Just *HAD* to tell this thread that I did it again! I ran to my corner this morning, did a bit of speed walking, actually decided to run to another stop sign, speed walked back to my orignial corner and ran back home. Of course, this distance is pitifully short, but MAN am I proud of it! LOL

Thanks so much, Lynne, for the acronym explaination! :) I can't wait to read more of your journal and journey to the marathon! Especially NOW that I know what you're talking about! LOL

*Melanie , I am doing this running/walking thing on rather rural roads..no sidewalks...and no crowds...no one to hide behind! Today my neighbor actually went by....I waved like I do when I'm out raking the yard! I decided that THAT was the best way to deal with the people I know who REALLY are looking at me! Thank you for your encouragement to get through these fears and mental issues! (my words, not yours!)

My legs are screaming at me this morning...but I will go again tomorrow morning! It isn't my knees, it is my muscles! I have sort of gotten to the point where I like the way my muscles feel when they have been exercised! :) Beats the heck out of the other aches and pains felt...the ones from being fat and out of shape!

....So, I'll go read some more on the beginning runners page. I know that I have GOT to get some good shoes soon! Thanks for the support and encouragement!

Thanks again,
take care,
Robyn....the HatterasMermaid

HatterasMermaid
08-23-2003, 08:29 AM
Stretched a LOT this morning before I took off down the driveway! I also walked and increased my speed slowly to warm up a bit! SEE, I am reading and learning and listening to you all! :)

Today felt great! Well....until I had only about 3 "houses" to go to reach my driveway on my return trip... Melanie, YOU are the reason that I went the rest of the way! So that I could type that I went further than I thought that I could! :)

Later this morning, I'm going to drive out and see how far (or NOT) I'm actually going...and to plot a new path! I think I might be liking this! ....RIGHT...Day 4 done! I sure talk big, don't I?!

:) Robyn

FrugalChick
08-23-2003, 06:37 PM
I got up at 6 am to go running with my SIL. She came and knocked on my door, and when I didn't answer, she went home and went back to bed! I did get up and walk when it was still dark outside and I thought about this thread. Half way around my circuit, I decided to run. I only ran to the stop sign...and I have to ask--how do you do it?

I didn't have a sports bra on, but I thought I was pretty well supported..until I started running! :o I really hurt. Do sports bras really work? I've never gotten them because they are in the tiny section of the intimates department..the part I've never gone in even when I was a bitty thing...lol

Any thoughts or ideas?

HatterasMermaid
08-23-2003, 07:58 PM
Hey Frugal Chick,

...You ran to my GOAL! That beloved stop sign! The one I nearly KISS when I reach it! :) GOOD for you! I'm STILL a very beginner... BUT, I'm going to do this! I *AM* going to run!

About the sports bra...
I discovered earlier this year how WONDERFUL and how necessary sports bras are when you (I) exercise. I began doing The Firm tapes in May. I did one tape before I decided that I *HAD* to figure out what to do about the support or lack there of! I have no idea what size you need, however, sports bras are made in a variety of sizes (from bitty to biggie!) and I literally purchased my first one in Walmart (wouldn't want to spend a fortune on something that I knew I'd hate!) WHOOOOHOOO! What a difference! GO get one! Strap *them* down...and take off to that stop sign! :)

Private Message me, if you want to talk further regarding bras...or my love of that BELOVED stop sign! :) I think that once you get over the "hang up" of shopping for one (and YES, I *DO* know what THAT is like!..I've got a hang up about EVERYTHING! LOL) you will love the difference and the support!

What a HOOT! *ME* offering advice to someone! Hehehehee!

take care,
Robyn

FrugalChick
08-23-2003, 08:01 PM
LOL, thanks Robin

ladaha
08-23-2003, 08:19 PM
Hey Chicks!
I was getting discouraged about running and missed 2 days in a row. I do not own a scale. I went to my moms today and I lost 8 lbs!! I am running tonight!!

lol
Ladaha

HatterasMermaid
08-23-2003, 08:36 PM
WhoooHoooo, Ladaha! Congratulations! :) How long have you been running?! Ie, when can I expect to see a change in my weight! :)

Keep going!
Robyn

ladaha
08-23-2003, 10:57 PM
I have been running for 2 weeks

WEEEEEE I AM ON A HIGH

FrugalChick
08-24-2003, 09:54 AM
Aren't natural highs the best?!:D

HatterasMermaid
08-25-2003, 10:24 PM
Do you know how dark it is in my part of Virginia at 5:30? I think it was still NIGHT time! I waited 15 minutes and it got a tad more light.... I have to leave for work at 7. I must do my "thing" before work as I KNOW that it won't get done after..... Guess I need to get over my "scared of the dark issues"!

I'm beginning my 2nd week! :) I CAN do this! I CAN do this!

FrugalChick
08-25-2003, 11:08 PM
I'm scared of the dark too...:lol: Glad I'm not the only one. But walking or running in the am is just so relaxing...

ladaha
08-26-2003, 12:00 AM
Heyhey, I made an increase of 4 min. on my 12 minute run/walk. I have to say that the first half was not pure torcher. I was suprised that it was not "like pulling teeth" as my run/walk for the last 2 weeks have been. I even went while having my monthly cramps that had me laying in pain 4 hours ago! :dancer: :bravo:

Ladaha

FrugalChick
08-26-2003, 06:49 AM
I bet the walking helped eased the cramps. I know exercise always helps me in that dept.

LynneD
08-26-2003, 03:19 PM
Add my name to the list of women who don't like to run in the dark. This is another one of the fears that I want to overcome.

I do not live in a bad neighborhood. I'm strong and athletic (well, now I am!). But I just can't seem to get past this thing yet.

Case in point: I get up at 4:30 3x weekly to go lift. I'm preparing for a December adventure race, so I wanted to add bicycling on Tuesday and Thursday early mornings. I just couldn't make myself do it!!

I *will* get over this...just not sure when or how.

Lynne
(who ran 14.5 miles straight through last Saturday! I *still* can't believe it! Woo hoo!!)
lynned.pitas.com

HatterasMermaid
08-26-2003, 07:04 PM
Wow, Lynne! What a great run! ....14.5 miles! ? ! WOW! LOL That sure makes my run to my stop sign look EVEN more pathetic than I thought! LOL What a great, wonderful acomplishment!

My son joined me this am on my walk/run. He is 11.5 and asked to join me! He was great company! I wasn't NEARLY as "afraid" with him! LOL...my protector...my kiddo! LOL Actually, I must have told him 1000 times, and I quote, "Do NOT run into me with that bike, MR!" :)

I live in a very rural area. We do have 1 known pervert who lives within a 1/2 mile of us...other than that...it isn't the crime that scares me! The PITCH black added with all the shadows and barking dogs ...well, OK the known perv doesn't THRILL me either! In my county, we have NO streetlights, NO sidewalks, NO leash laws, AND the roads are all "designed" to have a hump in the middle going down into deep ditches for drainage. (Don't tell me not to run on this...cause...THIS is the only place that I have to do it!)

about the dogs.....WHAT do I do about dogs who run up to me barking. First you must know that I not only HATE dogs (please forgive me!) but I'm DEATHLY afraid of them! I am totally UNeducated about this...can any one advise?

(and thanks for letting me know that I'm not the ONLY sunlight lovin gal around!)

Take care,
Robyn

HatterasMermaid
08-26-2003, 07:16 PM
sorry....I should not have used the word "pervert" here. I am sure there is a more PC way of stating that he is a known sexual deviant who has served time in prison for sexual crimes (against women and children) that he was found guilty of. (actually he admitted to them) ...I'm still not PC...but well....forgive me please!

There is a guy in the neighborhood who is very scary. There...enough!

FrugalChick
08-26-2003, 07:40 PM
Well, call me un-PC as well. I wasn't the least bit offended by your comment. He is what he is. :(

LynneD
08-27-2003, 03:54 PM
Ladaha,

Congratulations on the increased walk/run time! That's fabulous!

Robyn,

Your run to the stop sign is just as important as my 14.5 miles, and that's *exactly* where I was in January of this year. Keep on trucking to that stop sign and we'll be reading about your 14.5 mile runs in no time! :)

Regarding dogs: I'm a dog lover but I do NOT like to encounter loose dogs while I am running. We are a dog family, but we are respectful of others and leash our pet. I've been charged by loose boxers, pit bulls, labs -- you name it.

My usual tack is to face the dog, stand my ground firmly, stomp my foot and yell, "Stop. Go home!" I was told that as pack animals, dogs respond to an authoritative voice. So far, it's worked. I'm not sure what I'll do when it doesn't.

Someone once recommended that I carry a mini, easy-open umbrella...the kind where you just push a button and it pops open. That way, if a dog is charging you, you open it right before s/he gets to you. The sudden action of the opening startles the dog away and it puts a (admittedly thin) point of protection between you and the dog.

And a pervert's a pervert. No sense being PC about it all!

Good luck to all on their runs!

Lynne

HatterasMermaid
08-27-2003, 08:35 PM
Wow, Lynne! How motivating! :) January?! WOW! Thanks for the encouragement....and I am grinning from ear to ear at the thought of ME going 14.5 miles! LOL

I can stand and stomp and yell at kids! (I teach!) BUT....I'm not so sure on my feet with dogs! I will try it when the situation requires it again! Today was day #2 with no doggies! Whew! I sort of like the umbrella thing...I just don't know if I am able to carry even the smallest one right now! LOL

Oh, btw, I weighed this morning. This was day #7 of my run/walk plan. Since my last weigh in on Thursday, I have lost 1.5 pounds! :) toooooo cool!

thanks for the support of my word choice....hehe! I didn't want to offend... But THAT guy is one creep I don't want to meet up with!

take care,
Robyn

ladaha
08-28-2003, 12:42 AM
Wow I just finished my 16 min. R/W and I ran 1/2 way run 1 walk 1. I really had to pull myself into the front yard. I had my dog with me and he needed a little "time" in the front yard. I almost fell down on the ground cuz my leggs felt like jelly! lol

I will weigh in on saturday I hope I have lost more! I will be thrilled with even 1 lb! That would put me under 180!
:cb: :dance:

ladaha

LynneD
08-28-2003, 10:44 AM
Ladaha,

I've learned to love that "jelly leg" feeling! Makes me feel like I really worked my butt off...like I'm an athlete.

Great job on the 16 minutes!

Lynne

ladaha
08-29-2003, 06:42 PM
Now that I am at 16 min. this next week I want to push myself a little harder. Should I extend to 20 min r/w one min. still or should I hold at 16 min. and r 2 and w 1? any opinion would be great advice!

ladaha
08-29-2003, 11:57 PM
Hey, :cp:

I just ran for the first time while it was raining! I am proud of myself!:encore: I would like to say that I run rain, snow, or sun.:sunny: I am not sure if I have the courage to run in the snow. We will see in a couple of months!! lol

ladaha:goodvibes

188/180/135 :dancer:

HatterasMermaid
08-30-2003, 10:56 AM
Gooooooooo, Ladaha! Yahoooo for you!

This morning I ran even tho it was horribly HOT at 7:30...and the humidity was UNbelievable.... I walked out on my porch, sucked in that hot wet air...wanted to turn around...but didn't! :)

I added a bit (still have to figure this out for sure!) more running! To HONOR the heat and humidity! LOL

Ladaha, KEEP IT UP! You're keeping me out there! :) Some day we can meet at a 1/2 marathon and run it together...RIGHT! LOL
What a WACKED thought! LOL

take care,
Robyn
215.5 / 168.5 / 150 (and then another goal yet to be decided!)

shadesOme
09-01-2003, 07:44 PM
I have read this post and liked it, I have been doing the run/walk thing for a month.. I also go to curves. I need the extra kick for weight loss, my body is stubborn. I am making progress and see it every time I go. I live in a rural area too so hard to say distance wise, only one stop sign for me to run to.. I will think of you guys when I see it now.

I hear you gals on the bra issue, trust me you need a very good one, if not two.. Yes I SAID TWO.. I use at least 2 to keep those babies in place. I also buy mine at walmart, dont wanna pay too much for as someone said, something you hate.. LOL

keep the feet flying, catch you all later..

shadesOme
09-01-2003, 07:57 PM
just curious what music everyone is using for their running.. Currently I'm happy with Top Gun soundrack..

ladaha
09-04-2003, 11:06 PM
help I am drowning in disapointment and discouragement! I have been running for 3 weeks and simply do not want to do it any more!! I need a pep talk

shadesOme
09-07-2003, 04:33 PM
:o Ladaha, oh girl, get those shoes on and go.. are you using a headset, radio or not? Maybe a change of scenery, a park to run in or a trail nearby?? Remember that feeling you get when you run and the feeling afterwards, that sort of euphoric feeling, its great. Missing that feeling myself.. gets ya all peppy and feeling great. The rewards are worth it, you have some so far.. 3 weeks is great;) . I know you can keep it going. Any chance of getting a running partner? Even if its just one day a week to break the routine.

remember, we're here for you, I believe you will put those shoes on and go, you will be happy that you did.

:) :) :) :) :wave: :wave: :wave: :cb: :cb: :cb: :dancer: :grouphug:

ladaha
09-08-2003, 12:30 AM
Hey thanks shades I hope this week goes better than last! I only ran 2x. SHAME ON ME!!

ladaha

188/180/135

conway_1979
09-08-2003, 04:15 PM
This might sound odd, but I feel that it is better to run w/out music. I like to spend an hour each day reflecting on whatever pops into my mind. Running can be very spiritualistic. Think of it as a time of prayer and/or reflection each day. Also think of it as a way to eat a hearty dinner and not feel guilty!! Nothing like hard exercise to give you the right to order a little dessert! IMO.

shadesOme
09-08-2003, 07:14 PM
Ladaha, I am sure you will get more than 2x this week.. I am challenging you to.. Just got home from curves, ate dinner, time to change the laundry over, NOW i can go for my run..

checking equipment.. duct tape, shoes, walkman.. time to go.

Hey Conway, doesnt sound odd at all. I think more runners are that way.. I'm just an odd duck, the music keeps me motivated for now.

ya'll take care and keep those shoes tied tight.. cya soon

HatterasMermaid
09-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Hey Y'all..... Now that I'm back at school (I teach!) I'm having a horrid time fitting ME time back into all that I must do...... I miss my running/walking soooo much...and I'm sure that I'm not making progress on getting rid of the last 18 pounds.

soooo....What do you guys know about running on a treadmill? I have one.... and could, should and will use it.......but I have to know WHAT and HOW to do this...I KNOW that this is not the same....but until I get the schedule BACK to something that is reasonable...OR until the season changes and it is daylight before 6am in eastern Virginia.... I'm thinking this is what I HAVE to do. Is it possible?

I NEED to get back to the running....I can't see a stop sign now without thinking of you and how I'm letting myself DOWN!

HELP! I miss summer...I was MEANT to be a "kept" woman! I
am going to spend all my paychecks on lottery tickets! :)

:) Robyn

alsbttrfly
09-10-2003, 05:18 PM
Hi All,
I really loved reading all of your posts, especially the ones about the stop sign!! At least I'm not the only one!!! One suggestion about the dogs and the perv down the road, have you thought about pepper spray? You can buy a little can on a keychain. I have found a great beginners workout
http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,4-112-0-678-2-2,00.html
The one thing I do differently is that I only run/walk for a total of 30 mins, so I do one less repeat.
Example :Week 1
Run 2 minutes,
walk 4 minutes.
Repeat 5 times
I would only repeat 4 times.
Good luck to all and keep up the good work!!

FrugalChick
09-10-2003, 06:35 PM
thanks for the link. And for the layout. I don't think I could run solid for any amount of time...at least not with proper warm up.

It always amazed me, in high school, when we were forced to do the Mile run once a year, but we never trained for it. yes, it's only a mile..but still...

alsbttrfly
09-11-2003, 08:17 AM
FrugalChick,
I know, even though I ran track in high school (only sprints) that mile would kill me. I would run it and skip it, skipping seemed easier.

FrugalChick
09-11-2003, 06:23 PM
:o I cheated on my last mile run. Everyone thought I was on my last lap, when I was really just starting my fourth one (it was 9 minutes) and I didn't speak up. I know I'm dishonest. But really...it's the only time I ever 'ran' the 'mile' run in under 12 minutes! :lol:

LadyOnFire
09-11-2003, 07:25 PM
hello everyone. I need HELPPPPPP I started running outside today. For me it more like a quick trot (about 1/4 mile). I have trotted (run) 3 -10k(6.3) mile races. Each time I tried to train up to doing it...but never made it past 1/2 an hour. I did the races, walk-run in 67-78 minutes. Still do not know how the heck I did it. I never get a runners high, I only did these for a challenge of myself. (and the reward of a decadent hot fude sundae)

Now I have challenged a co-worker and myself to run the Turkey trot the Saturday after Thanksgiving. He is up to 5 miles and LOVES it. Meanwhile I am not even up to 10 minutes straight. I can do a cardio class for and hour...what is wrong with me?

I looked at the website for the run/walk times. I am so afraid that I will never be able to do the straight run. Even if it is a slow trot. Something just gives up in me. any ideas would be helpful!!!

I am going to do 10 minutes on the treadmill in the a.m. and try to do 10 more before I leave work.
Thanx
Cam

LynneD
09-12-2003, 09:44 AM
Hi everyone!

It's been awhile since I've stopped in, so this will be a long one. :) Just wanted to pop in and say hello!

Dana: I love music while I run! I use mix CDs exclusively, because I fully control every single song on the mix. Plus, mix CDs tend to be longer than purchased CDs, so they last for more of my run without me having to change the CD.

Some favorite songs on my current mixes include:
Everlast: Babylon Feeling
Billy Idol: Power Surger and Rebel Yell
Tom Petty: Running Down a Dream
Edwin Starr: 25 Miles
Jimi Hendrix: Foxy Lady
Macy Gray: Sexomatic Venus Freak
Sonia Dada: Summertime
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Fly Away on my Zephyr and If You Want me to Stay

Right now, I'm in the process of making a list of songs that will last 5 hours. Then, I hope to get a minidisk player or an iPod and burn all those songs and have them available for my little October obsession in Chicago. :)

Ladaha: One motivating trick I use is to create -- and follow -- a specific plan. That way, I can't leave anything to chance. I once read a quote that said "you cannot fail with a plan" because all you have to do is each step. So, if my plan is Run 3 miles Tuesday, Run 8 miles Thursday, Run 3 miles Friday, Run 14 miles Sunday...I just do what I have to do on the day I have to do it. I don't give myself a choice of doing or not doing. (Gosh...that's almost Yoda-like! :) )

Robyn: I run on treadmills occasionally but I find it much more mentally challenging than road running because I get so bored. However, there is a woman at my club who runs 60 minutes a day, 5 days a week on the treadmill and she's in GREAT shape.

A personal trainer friend of mine gave me this tip: When you use a treadmill, set the incline to a minimum of 1% to more closely mimic flat road running. If you keep it at 0%, you're not working as hard as you would on the road (because you don't have wind resistance and some other reasons). I feel this tip has really helped my running.

Lori: The pepper spray is a great idea in theory. But as a former letter carrier (for 7 years), I can attest that it very easily backfires on you. Even when you don't perceive much of a breeze, the wind can cause the spray to blow back on you with disasterous results.

Cam: I can't stress enough just how much of running is mental. Honestly...it's all in your head and when you control that, you're able to progress. It's like I mentioned to Robyn above: I find treadmill running exceedingly difficult. In fact, I hate to/cannot/will not run more than 4 miles at a time on the treadmill. Now, to prove that this is in my head, I have run 20 miles at one time on the roads. And in fact, when I've got my monkey mind under control, I *can* run more than 4 miles on the treadmill...I'm just kicking and screaming inside my head the entire time.

So how do you get your mind under control? First, be sure this is what you want. I'm assuming this *is* what you want since the Turkey Trot was your idea. So you must at least like the *idea* of being a runner...right? So now you've got to totally commit to this idea. Choose a plan and do not alter from following that plan.

Play mind games: when you run, keep a mantra going through your head, such as "I'm strong and fit. I'm strong and fit" and "I am a runner. I am a runner."

Add more days to your plan if you have to, to move you forward. For example, if you say you can't go past 30 minutes and your plan calls for 35 one day, you'll need to add an extra day where you force yourself to do 32 or 33 minutes to convince yourself that you *can* get past that barrier.

Talk to people who you perceive to be "runners." Ask them about training and ask what they do when they just don't want to run anymore. You'll be surprised to find that "real runners" struggle with their brain telling them to slow down, just stop, sleep in, etc...just like us beginners!

Look for motivational messages that help you get in a positive frame of mind. I found some from the MotivationMentor@aol.com. Here's an example:
-=-=-=-=
IF YOU HAVE THE DESIRE, YOU HAVE THE POWER.
----------------------------------------------
Your dreams will come true,
if you have the desire to pursue them.
You must believe in yourself.
Know in your heart,
that you can do the job you've set out to do.

You're never given a wish
without also being given the power to make it come true.
The achievement of your goal is assured
the moment you commit yourself to it.

Everything is possible,
if you believe it's possible.
It's your mind that sets your limits.
What you envision you can do, you can do.

Start thinking of yourself as a success
and success will follow.
Success is a state of mind.

You can, because you think you can.
İMotivationMentor@aol.com
-=-=-=-=

As for my marathon training, last week was my last HARD week on my training schedule before the marathon, culminating in a 20 mile run on Sunday. I still can't believe I did it, but I did!! I've got the funny, short-sock tan lines to show for it, too. ;)

I'm now easing into my taper, with this week and next being MEDIUM in difficulty and then moving to two easy weeks ending in Grant Park after the longest run of my entire life. :)

Good luck to everyone. It's been beautiful weather in Michigan...if it's nice where you are, get out and hit the roads!

Lynne in Michigan
http://lynned.pitas.com

LadyOnFire
09-12-2003, 11:33 AM
thanx Lynn

I plan on getting on the treadmill before I leave work. No time to actually go outside and run. I might try going to a track and doig the lap-at-a time.

Cam

LynneD
09-12-2003, 01:52 PM
For everyone here:

I just got the October issue of Runner's World and there is a LOT of great information for beginning runners, even though it's not specifically targeted to beginners. Examples include Joe Henderson's column, in which he says not everyone can run faster, but *everyone* can run longer...all you need is persistance, pacing, and patience.

And the Q&A column mentions that with patience, you can progress past run/walk, but that you really don't *have* to progress past run/walk, either...it's a valid strategy for doing races, right up to the marathon distance.

The most important thing is that we're all out there doing something...because that's what's best for our health! :)

ladaha
09-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Yesterday my 6 year old wanted to run w/ me so we simply ran around the little block we live on. It took all of about 5 minutes but hey I went!

shadesOme
09-13-2003, 01:12 PM
Hey Lynne, great motivational information.. thank you.. Also for the music post, was beginning to think I was nuts oooooooo.. well maybe but still.

I did run without my music the other night and actually did somewhat better.. who knows!! lifes a guessing game isnt it, sometimes anyway.

Ladaha, yeah chasing your 6 year old around the block is good. I chased my daughter a few weekends ago in the park at the beach, didnt even get winded.. WOW, I remember when I wouldnt have even gotten off my lazy carcazz to play with her. She was giggling her lil butt off too, she thought it was great and I felt good, not just to be able to chase her but to actually be interacting with her and having fun.. Life is short.

well I came to get my motivation to run today.. Thanks ladies.. I have it and will check back in later.. you all have a great weekend.
tie those shoes up and get going..

cya soon.

HatterasMermaid
09-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Hi. Thanks for the information about the treadmill! Last night I walked / ran for 2 miles. I had the treadmill set on 4%. Tonight I'm going to set it on 3% and see if I can do better mentally! :)

I miss being outside. I miss seeing THAT stopsign come and go! I miss the breeze and I even miss that darn dog! I will get out there again... In the meantime, I'm hoping that the treadmill running will help! My 8 year old suggested that I run in the dark with one of those flashlights that straps to your head! What a vision THAT would be!

Keep it up, girls! You are all doing GREAT! I'm heading to the treamill right now! I'm strong and I'm a runner! The other thing that I keep saying over and over...remember I teach first grade... I hear over and over in my head..."I think I can! I think I can!"
I'm off to get those shoes on and tear up my treadmill!

Will check in again this weekend!
til then...take care!
Robyn

LynneD
09-14-2003, 03:25 PM
Robyn said:

> I hear over and over in my head..."I think I can! I think I can!"

I *love* this!! That's a perfect mantra for when I'm trying to get in that zone where I forget that something hurts or I'm tired.

I did 14 miles in the rain. My training schedule (affectionately known as "The Plan") had me doing a half marathon today, but there were none near home and the travel budget is spoken for for the year. So I did 14 as fast as I could. Granted, I didn't have the adrenaline rush of racing against others or having cheering crowds around...but let's just say I'm downgrading my finish time goal. :)

Hope you got in a run today!

Lynne
lynned.pitas.com

shadesOme
09-17-2003, 07:43 PM
Hey gang.. Just wondering where you all are. I decided to take today off maybe.. Its still light out. I'm planning on doing an upper body work out (weights) instead of running today.

?? for you guys--- do you run every day? Just not sure if I should

Lynne.. WOW 14 miles sounds like an eternity.. You are amazing..

hope you are all lacing up the shoes and running !!

HatterasMermaid
09-18-2003, 09:05 AM
Hey ya'll....just checking in. Treadmill has been put away for a while. We need all of the living room until the storm blows by.
We live an hour north (and on the coast!) from VaBch. Things are getting scary! The hurricane is still offshore of N.C. and we already have rain and wind (tropical storm) 3 hours North. We've been thru these storms before....BUT this one is BIGGGG! We're nervous, scared and on edge!

I'm going to pull out one of my Firm tapes for my exercise today.... if I can get the tv off of the weather channel... AND if we still have power! WELL, I did say I missed the way the "breeze" of real running outside.. ....lets hope the wind stays outside.

Enough panic for now! :stress: Things will be just fine, I'm sure!
Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. I'll check in again when I can. :df: (Our FAVORITE VACATION spot... Buxton / Hatteras (my nick!) NC is going to get it hard today :(

oh yeah, I said I was done..... take care.... RUN to that stopsign for me! :)

Robyn

shadesOme
09-22-2003, 08:34 PM
Hi Robyn.. I thought of you every time I ran to a stop sign today.. There were 4 on my run tonight. I went around the block (country block) forget how far it is.. Will check with my odometer.
few miles.
Hope you are all fairing well down there, been thinking of you.

where did the rest of you go???

Lynne, I am understanding what you mean about running being mental.. WOW, sometimes when I just look ahead and pic a spot to keep running to it works.. Gettin better at it too.. Thought of you tonight also, just told myself someday I will do 14 miles just like Lynne and itll feel great..:) thanks for the motivation..

hope you are all well. take care. be back soon..

rojofish
09-23-2003, 12:55 AM
Hello everyone!

I am new to the board and semi-new to running. I actually started last November... my friend was training for a marathon and introduced me to Jeff Galloway and the walk/run ratio. I was NEVER a runner before that. My IT band gave me problems in January so I took a break until March, when it seemed to be healed. I started training, ran some races, and did the Danskin Triathlon in June.

I was doing really well, able to do 6/7 miles trail running, so I signed up to train for the Honolulu marathon with the national AIDS foundation. We got to 9 miles and my IT band once again became inflamed. I went to a physical therapist who told me I have a great many muscle imbalances to correct. It broke my heart, but I had to give up the marathon training.

So, in a wave of self-pity and frustration, I pretty much quit any exercise for a few months. It didn't help that my best friend and training partner moved to Colorado! But now I'm on track and I'm trying to get back into running, slowly. I know it's going to be oh-so-hard!

I'm curious to know if there are any other people here who have done or want to do a triathlon, or if anyone uses swimming or biking as cross training for running.

Looking forward to participating...:)

~Rojo

shadesOme
09-23-2003, 09:45 PM
welcome Rojo.. I'm just new to running so no marathons, havent even thought about anything that amitious yet. My main goal is weight loss and to be able to run a solid 3 miles.

Sorry to hear about the injury, sure hope things heal well for you. I'm curious, have you been instructed on how to correct some of the imbalances. We all probably have some deficits that could or should be addressed that we are not even aware of.

I'm sure you will run in that marathon someday, maybe next year even. Keep your chin up, put a smile on that face, I know you can do it!

Your post was inspirational to me! hope to see you around a lot.
keep us posted on your progress with that IT band

absmom
09-24-2003, 02:24 PM
Hi All - Thought I'd jump in... Did the Danskin Triathlon in July and have signed on to do a half Marathon October 19th. Scared to death... I am a SLOW runner... 12-13 min miles. I really am running, although most could pass me walking.... In any case, of those of you who have done the Marathon or other long distance - Will I be the last to finish? Are there typically walkers at these races? I know I'll have no problem completing the distance - I am running 8 miles now --- BUT I am afraid that they will roll up the course and shut down the clocks before I'm done... Should I even care????

Absmom ---

FYI - Mom of 2/Running for health and weight loss-- still have about 40 to go.... Definately in the Clydesdale class or I guess they call us "fillies?!"

PS - LYNNE D. You are truly inspiring --- GO GO GO!!!!

LeanneM83
09-24-2003, 02:30 PM
Hi there...
Congrats on your venture to the world of running.
I had a baby 7 weeks ago and have now been running for about 5 weeks now. WOW! What a difference. Not only in my weight, but my endurance and not to mention my running speed. I have found running is the BEST way to bounce into shape for me. The best part about running is that there is little or no excuses a person can have for NOT doing it. (maybe, weather like snow is a good excuse);)
At this point I have worked my butt off and can now run 4.4 km. Yet, my goal is for 10 km by next May.
I know how hard running is, and how much work it takes, I definitely admire anyone willing to take it on. Good luck to you, I know it will go well for you.

Leanne
Highest weight 222 lbs (9 months pregnant)
Present weight 186 7.5 weeks after baby
Goal Weight 150 (by December 1st)
Personal goal weight 130

rojofish
09-25-2003, 12:48 AM
Absmom...

How did you like the Danskin? Where did you do it?

As far as being a slow runner, I don't think it's a problem. In the first 5k I did, I got passed by a speed walker! Everyone I've ever met at a race has been really nice and supportive and encouraging, no matter what your speed. Most races do post how long the course is open, if you're really worried about them shutting down. But most of the marathons I've ever read about welcome walkers. (Besides the ones you have to qualify for, of course!) Besides, I don't run continuously... at my peak I was using a 5:1 ratio.
Congratulations on setting such an ambitious goal! :D

Dana... I've got a lot of weird stuff going on. I'm not sure how much you really want to know... My right leg is much stronger than my left. My quads are MUCH stronger than my hamstrings (more than usual). My vastus medialis (inner part of the quad) is much weaker than the rest. My gluteous medius (inner butt) is almost non-existant. The ligaments in my knees are loose. All this adds up to my IT band trying to keep my leg in position with no help from the muscles. I'd been making it worse by doing weighted squats while letting my hips drop to one side. To correct the problems, I have a circuit of exercises to do which are very small, specific movements. The kinds of things that look really easy but are killers!! Wall squats are one of them. I also need to be sure to stretch at least twice a day. I hate doing it. Sigh.

I'm going to try a 30 minute jog this weekend... we'll see how it goes. My IT is a bit sore from spinning but I'm icing so we'll see! ;)

LynneD
09-25-2003, 09:04 AM
Hi everyone and welcome to the new folks, too!

I'm glad to hear there are many multisports types on the board, too. I'm not really into triathlon, but I do bicycle, lift, walk, hike and trail run. I'm thinking about entering an adventure race in December (if my potential teammate is still in, I'm in!)

In terms of endurance, it's similar to triathlon, so I'd love to hear tips and tricks from all of you Danskin women! You are SO inspiring!!

Absmom: I'm S L O W, too!!

Do NOT worry about where you'll finish!! First of all, there is no shame in being last. Before I start a race, I always tell my kids "I'll be the old lady being followed by the cop car." It's never happened...I've never been last...but I'm always open to the possibility. :) Because the fact is, the last runner is as much of a finisher as the first runner.

Also, even though you're training at 12-13 min miles, the adrenaline rush of race day will probably push you a bit harder than you usually go.

You're going to do GREAT!! Enjoy it!!

Rojo: Wall squats ARE hard! Keep on the road to recovery, can't wait to read about your next tri!

Leanne! Congrats on the baby and WOW on getting back into running so quickly! You GO!

Robyn: Are you out there? Did the hurricaine affect you?

Hi Dana, Hi Ladaha! Everyone checking in?

I'm in my taper for Chicago now. My last truly long run was last Sunday at 18 miles. This weekend, 13, next weekend, 9 and then the big day. Only 17 more days!

And I got my bib number today! 18959. I'm sure my family will be able to pick that one out of 40,000 runners...don't you think? ;)

My current plan: Under 5 hours, walk through the aid stations (because I have a drinking problem...I canNOT drink from those little cups and run at the same time!), and thank all of the volunteers I meet along the route, because without them there would be no race!

Lynne (who is also a slow Clyde/Filly at 5'10" and 155!)
http://www.lynnedurham.com/journal

rojofish
09-25-2003, 08:47 PM
Lynne~ Which adventure race are you doing? I'm doing the Muddy Buddy (http://www.muddybuddy.com) on October 26 and I am totally stoked! Good friends, running, biking, cargo nets, mud pits, what more can you ask?!

Wishing you the best of luck in Chicago! *envious*

absmom
09-26-2003, 09:13 AM
Hey all !
Thanks for the feedback - I had a good 5 miler yesterday and am planning a long 10 mile jaunt this weekend with my sister who is also doing the race on the 19th. We're thinking marathon for next year - not sure which one - thought about the Marine Corps in DC, but heard its hard to get into... We'll have to see... On the other hand, Adventure racing sounds intrigueing.... Rojofish - what others have you done? Distances? Events?

Danskin (Webster MA)- by the way was really fun. It was my first Tri and the experience of racing with 1800 women was unbelievable. We (my 2 sisters and I) plan to do it again next year. Hopefully I'll be in better shape and smaller so I can beat my time! We're even thinking about taking the plunge into a REAL tri bike....... We'll see...

LynneD - Will you have a chip to track your progress during the race? I am feeding off your enthusiasm and getting more excited for my race... I know you're focused on Chicago right now - but what's your next big training event if the adventure race falls through.........

Happy Friday!
Absmom

shadesOme
10-04-2003, 10:36 AM
Hey gang.. sorry its been too long.. I am here, still running although not as much as I was. The weather is getting cold here, not going to let that deter me. I'm getting results like never before. My endurance is improving. Who mentioned being slow? Maybe we could run together I'm slow too. Look at it this way though, at least your out there doing it. There's a commercial on the radio that cracks me up, its like a subconscious voice talking to some guy whos sitting in a chair stuffing his face watching foot ball, anyway the gist of it is.. that hes sitting there watching these men push themselves physically, the irony of it. Its part of a campaign to get people to excercise.. ANYWAY, did I have a point... oh yeah. at least we're doing it!

Rojo- WOW thats a lot of information but its good to see that you have taken the time to diagnose the issues and obviously your working on them. Great job, those exercises are killers.. Any chance you could get some strengthening you need in the pool? just a thought.

welcome Leanne and absmom! great to have you.

You guys are so motivating, doing triathalons and things I have not yet heard of. Guess the world of running is much bigger than I imagined. Whats this about mud??? running, biking, friends mud.. sounds like fun. sign me up. although I am not good on a bike. I like my feet on the ground with the exception of horse back riding..

Lynne, still here motivating I see.. sounds like your doing great.

I have to get rid of this self induced headache so I can put some miles on today.. post later.. Thank you all for your motivation and inspiration.

HatterasMermaid
10-04-2003, 08:03 PM
Hey ya'll! Wow! It has been a long while since I've checked in here! The hurricane completely knocked us on our fanny. We were without power for over a week. No school for 8 days. My dh works at NASA and they were even closed for 4 days (with a weekend thrown inbetween them!) It was HORRIBLE! Trees and stuff EVERYWHERE! We were greatly blessed! Our damage was to our boat, camper and shed. NOTHING landed on our house!
Many many many were not that fortunate. We met great people who came from Alabama and Louisiana to work on our power systems! The Alabama men have a special place in my heart as THEY were the ones who "fixed" ours! We made them lemonade with precious icecubes that I waited in line for over an hour for!
They seemed happy for the cold drink!

Anyway..... (enough about the storm...)I've been struggling to regain control of nearly EVERYTHING... the storm and the aftermath certainly MESSED my schedules and BRAIN up!
The latest thing is that I pulled / strained my ligament in my knee while at school. The dr says not to exercise for at least a week. Says not to run for 2. We will see..... But, for now...it hurts and I'm sitting! AND I'm taking pain pills. I never take the pain pills...but... IT HURTS! (The horrid thing is that this injury isn't from anything other than walking and slipping in someone's dripped koolaid....arghhhhh!)

Enough :blah: from me! You guys keep running! I'll catch you at the next stop sign! Take care!

Robyn

LeanneM83
10-16-2003, 11:17 PM
Well, it has been 10 weeks since I had my son and 8 weeks since I started running again...and MUCH to my surprise I have run up to 7km-wow, I am shocked myself....considering last year b4 I got pregnant I was fit and could only run 5km at most. Who knew that with the extra weight I would be running further than EVER.
I am training for a 10km run for May'04 and I am happy to say I think I will be able to do IT...:strong:
So if I can do it, even when I had an extra 60lbs on, I know ANYONE can do it....and it really is not easy is it?
I LOVE listening to music when I run/workout...I have made myself a workout CD with ANY song that makes me want to dance when I hear it.........Everything from 80's music, dance, rap, oldies....whatever does the trick....
Good Luck to Everyone....I look forward to hearing progress reports from all of you...

Leanne

Start weight 222
Current Weight 178
Goal Weight 150
Real Goal Weight 135-140