Carb Counters - How many are currently on Atkins?

View Full Version : How many are currently on Atkins?

spryng
08-13-2003, 11:46 PM
Hi! I am new here and noticed that this is a forum for all LC Diets. I am on Atkins and was wondering how many other people are on it also. If so, how long have you been on it? How much have you lost so far? And about how many carbs do you eat per day?

Today is day 5 for me on induction. I have lost 5 lbs already and of course I stay withing my 20 carb allowance. Usually much lower.

TIA

Phillybrwn
08-14-2003, 01:07 AM
I am on Atkins. I am determined to stick with it this time. I tried Quick Weight Loss (now LA Weight Loss) back in '95. It works if you stick with it. Lost 20 lbs in 6 weeks, but I couldn't stay away from fat. I ended up gaining back the 20 lbs plus an additional 40 or so. Now with Atkins I can have some fats and I find that my cravings for carbs has subsided. I feel this is something I can stick with. I started Atkins back in July but I cheated left and right. I re-started on 08/04/03. I have lost about 10 lbs since starting in July. Would have been alot more. I will be weighing again this weekend.

LindaBC
08-14-2003, 01:55 AM
I'm in my third week of Induction and I've lost about 9 lb. I try to stay under 20 gr per day but sometimes it's a bit more. Sometimes it's less.

Tummy Girl
08-14-2003, 04:52 AM
Well i'm another atkins gal, let me see if I can answer all the questions. I've been on a low carb plan for one month today but on Atkins specifically for 2 weeks this coming monday. During the last month I've lost 25lbs and stay between 10-16grams of carbs a day. I stay a bit low because I don't calculate just so, that way I'm sure I don't go over. My ratios are always within 5% of optimum though. I will be staying on induction a while longer but my doctor and I will figure that out after my next visit. I have never been on a low carb plan long term before and really have never dieted, I used to exercise to stay in shape. Hope you find the info useful.

Tummy

kfs151
08-14-2003, 08:52 AM
I started Atkins at the end of March and moved on from induction to OWL about the time the yummy berries started to ripen :lol:

I aim for 20-40 g of carb a day although I'm not always under the 40 - usually I'm pretty good. I've lost 35 pounds so far although I have been struggling with the same two pounds the last couple of weeks as I'm having too much sugar alcohol and not enough exercise.

I use CalorieKing on my PDA to help me track my carbs and occasionally fitday.com to figure out my rations (I find entering foods in fitday too much of a pain).

Good Luck!

NicoleNYC
08-14-2003, 09:18 AM
Another Atkins person here!
I've been on it since the first week of July.
I've lost about 15 pounds.
I stay under 20 carbs.

BradH
08-14-2003, 09:35 AM
I've been on induction for 15 days now, with 10lb loss. Once I finally get off my butt and start exercising more, it should come off a bit faster.

I'm not counting carbs in too much detail. I just sort of 'guesstimate' my way through the day, with a tendency to round up. I've stayed under 20 by my count, which likely means I've really been staying under 15, due to my overestimates.

I agree with the others here, this is far by a much easier regimen to stick to than your typical 'starvation' diets. While I may go out to eat and joke about wanting the bowl of tortilla chips on the table, I really don't care--I'm not having any difficulty at all in avoiding the things I need to.

Best of luck to ya!

Froufy
08-14-2003, 09:37 AM
Another Atkins follower here....about 2 1/2 months now (end of May) and have lost about 22 lbs so far, a bit slow but I love this WOE and will stick to it no matter how long it takes.

I am BAD at exercising, but still doing "modified" induction. Usually around 20 carbs, but I do add the occasional "non induction" treat....generally stay under 25 carbs, especially if I add some extra veggies which I have now started doing.

I am scared to move to OWL in a general sense...so I am slowly adding veggies first to see how it goes. I know I will have to eventually leave the "safety" of induction and move on (yes I have popped the occasional blueberry and whole milk plain yogurt...what a treat!).

Froufy:cool:

golfergirl
08-14-2003, 09:49 AM
I started the 2 week induction on July 1st... I lost 7lbs in 4 days and then didn't lose another pound. I was very careful to stay within the 20g of carbs. After the 2 weeks were up, our life changed a little (still no carb loaded foods in the house) but medical problems with family led us to eat more fast food and we ended up not caring so much about supper being low-carb. Neither me or my husband gained or lost a pound during this time. Then Yesterday I started the induction once again!! I still have enough that I want to lose and I want to get it lost. I try to exercise as well, but find it's easier for me right now to eat good than it is to find the time to exercise, even if I intend to when I get home...

It does work, but it needs to be stuck with. Though when you are at the weight you want to be you can modify it to whatever works for you. My husband can eat more carbs than me and hold steady...so you have to do what's right for you.

Turtle38
08-14-2003, 10:18 AM
I'm in my second week of induction. I lost 6 lbs the first week and won't weigh again until tomorrow. I am having a hard time staying under the 20 gr a day without feeling hungry the past few days. I think I may have figured out where I am going wrong. I am now trying to had more protein, mainly meat, into my meals. For the most part though, I am doing alright and the cravings are not to bad. My family even had pizza last night which smelled wonderful, but I didn't cave in. That was a real test for me. Next time they have pizza I think I will order chicken wings for me.

I started using the Fitday.com on Monday and that really shed some light on where my carbs were coming from. I am also now trying to get the ratios more in balance, like Tummy suggested.

Welcome to the group and good luck!

MeowMe
08-14-2003, 10:56 AM
Hi,
I followed the Atkins Diet strictly for eight weeks and lost 13 lbs. lost the first 7 in the first two weeks of induction. I should have lost a lot more after that, however I believe that eating the Atkins Advantage bars haulted my weight loss. I still have eight more pounds to go, but right now I'm taking a break by maintaing my weight and just keeping my carb intake at a low level...about 30-40 a day. I am also currently trying out the "Phase 2" Starch Blockers when I do have something with high carbs. I will go back to the induction phase eventually to drop those eight lbs. Thanks for sharing!

Tippurr
08-14-2003, 11:00 AM
I've been on Atkins for 24 days now. I've lost 12 pounds so far. It really is a great plan. I'm never hungry and I don't crave carbs. Drinking the right amount of water is no problem, as I prefer plain water to most other drinks. The only thing is, now it takes me three or four days to drink a flavored water that used to take me about half an hour to drink. They just taste too sweet!

This group is great! Lots of advice and great support. Good luck!

Karla

lilybutt
08-14-2003, 11:41 AM
I have been on induction for 18 days. I have lost 10 lbs. I use fitday and my ratios are usualy with in a few percentage points and carbs around 20, sometimes less, but never more. I eat out aloto and find reatuarnat eating a lot easier on this than when I was on weight watchers or just a low cal/moderation diet....because I CAN eat! Last night a big salad with cheese and ceasar dressing and wonderful prime rib! Never would have eaten that on another diet!

I always drink about 100 oz of water, so no problem there! I have not given up caffiene or diet pop. I tried and it just wasn't worth the stress of giving that up at the time, maybe I will over time! They don't seem to effect me and I enjoy my coffee in the morning and my pop at night.

I do have the Atkins, morning bars i have used in a pinch and I have the "candy" bars, but have yet to eat them. I have the shakes too, but aven't tried them yet either. Just have them as a security thing more or less. LOL

I agree with Brad......it is not a problem to pass up some of the things I used to eat as entire meals, it sems kind of weird, but don't care about them.

good luck
Lily

herb1985
08-14-2003, 11:44 AM
I have been on Atkins now since 01/01/03 fell off wagon so to speak at the end of Feb.Then back on 03/25/03.I have lost to date 80lbs.I have more energy and self esteem than i have ever had.All together I have lost 123 lbs 43 lbs. was from weight watchers plan last summer. My worst weight was 496 now Im at 373 thank goodness Im tall Im 6'4".I want to get rid of at least 90 more then ill have to see .

KarenW
08-14-2003, 12:23 PM
Spryng - I have been on Induction 10 solid days now! I am down a net of 6.. and I tend to stay below 10 carbs most days between 8 and 11 mostly! You know the rest of my story from the SAHM board! :)

cotonmamma
08-14-2003, 02:06 PM
Hi everyone,

I am new to this board and this is my first posting. I started Atkins on July 28th. I have done low carbing on and off for the past 3 years and I know I feel so much better when I eat this way, especically with heartburn. Every time I stopped eating low carb, it was very difficult to start back again and the weight loss seems to be a lot slower than it was the first time I started. This time I am determined to stick with it because I know from past experience that it just isn't worth it to stop and then try getting back on track. I want to lose about 60 lbs. and I know I can do it if I just stick to it. :^:

Tummy Girl
08-14-2003, 05:13 PM
Hi Angela

Welcome to the board. Nice to have so many new faces running around. Looking forward to hearing more from you on the other threads.

Tummy

Miztrezzz
08-17-2003, 07:29 PM
yay!

induction has to be the only thing that has ever worked besides the old splurg 'n' purge, or down right starvation.

ive been on induction for 15 days, and have lost 15 pounds. id say thats pretty frickin cool. although the food is monotonous and a huge change from being an fish'n'fowl vegetarian, i dont feel overly hungry or bored.

im sure with the same food i eat everyday so far, im well under the 20 g mark. BUT! i have been drinking vodka tonics the last 2 weekends enough to be intoxicating, and still losing!

i would punch somone for some krispy kreme right now. but losing a pound a day from eating bratwurst and a quart of heavy whipped creme a day, aint so bad.
started 8/04 @ 275
today 8/17 @ 260http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/miztrezzz/images/kiss1.jpg

Tummy Girl
08-19-2003, 08:41 AM
Miztrezz, welcome to the good old carb board, or lack there of really. 15lbs is amazing, holy! Keep it up girl!

Tummy

Leenie
08-21-2003, 01:01 PM
Me too !

Atkins since 7/7 lost 14 so far. 2 weeks went w/out weight loss b/c my calories were way to high.

Still going strong, this week was slow but getting better :)

Emmaleth
08-24-2003, 03:53 PM
I am restarting Atkins...I belive his ideas are really good for me because they make me feel better. Whenever I am on a low carb plan I feel like I am eating "real and healthy" foods, not junk..to fuel my body.

Yey! for atkins

202/202/150

barbmarie
08-30-2003, 08:22 AM
Hi all!
I am new to low carb, in fact been reading from the Atkins site all morning. So today I start induction. My question is, for the first 2 weeks are you only to eat from the allowed foods, or is sausage OK? It says bacon is ok but doesnt specify sausage. I dont want to screw this up. Thanks.
Barb

KimmerA
08-30-2003, 08:44 AM
I am also on Atkins..I started around three weeks ago, and have lost 9 lbs. so far. This is my second go-round with Atkins. I lost about 60 lbs. on it around three years ago, but unfortunately as so many of us do, failed because I didn't do maintanance properly, and gained back all but about 15 lbs. I am determined this time to do it the right way, and keep it off. I also joined Curves and will be working out at least 3-4 times a week, so this should help immensely. Good luck to all the fellow low-carbers! KimmerA.

200, 191, 140

Tummy Girl
08-30-2003, 12:27 PM
Hi, welcome Barb and KimmerA. Glad to see you're back at it Kimmer and Barb, it's a truly amazing way to eat and hope you enjoy it.

During the first 2 weeks of induction you should only eat off the acceptable food list. Most sausages have toasted wheat crumbs in them and are not induction friendly. If you stick to that list and eat nothing else for 2 weeks you'll be on the right track. If you get creative it leads to cravings and your blood sugar may not stabilize. I think this may be one of the most important guidelines in Atkins. And after all it's only for 2 weeks! Check out the weekly food logs if you want some ideas for meals. Good luck.

Tummy

jessjohnsmom
08-31-2003, 07:20 PM
I am one of the most wishy washiest people on this site,at least as far as dieting goes. I started out here with the SBD diet,didnt like it. A lil too restrictive for me to stick with. Then i went back to WW and i gained during the first week and decided that was not going to work for me,i was big time craving stuff i didnt not need,so i decided to give Atkins a try again,tried it last year during Christmas and lost 10 lb in two week but it was a holiday and i defenitely gained it back and then some,but rememberd all the chef salads and ranch i got to eat and i love chef salads. So i bought the book and started back again 1 week ago tommorrow. I weighed myself friday night and in ONE WEEK I LOST 10LBS. :D THis does work. Sadly i celebrated my loss with my sis in law by drinking alot of margaritas,:( So the next day i ate pizza and BBQ sandwiches and a donut, And today i have had pizza again. But i know why i feel like crap now and i also know that i will be back on again tommorrow. I am goanna weigh myself in the morning, and start over again and i WILL NOT LET THIS WEEKEND HAPPEN AGAIN. I felt super after 3 days on the diet this week.
I am looking forward to tommorrow:D Next out of town trip i take i will be more careful,but i was in Memphis and memphis has some awesome bbq and the pizza was awesome and i do love to eat,especially on vacation,i still gotta live right?!
Tommorrow is a whole new day!:smug:

bkramer947
08-31-2003, 10:04 PM
Hi! This is my first post on this website! Just found the site tonite....it looks great!

I have been on Atkins for 20 days and have lost 8.5 lbs total. I am a slow loser but love this WOE and am sticking with it! I am so happy to be doing this plan! It is great, isn't it?

jazzistar79
08-31-2003, 10:20 PM
I just began induction today. In the past I was very skeptical about the Atkins diet, even tho I had failed every other diet I tried which includes the grapefruit diet and sugarbusters. My mom started on the Atkins diet a few weeks ago and then I found out an old friend from high school had the stomache surgery and something clicked in me that said not to let everyone else achieve something that I have been wanting for a long time. After a week of just watching how many carbs I was actually eating and looking at food labels, I went out and got the book. I am about half way through the book and I am not so much skeptical anymore as I am confused. Today I must have eaten like a pig, I had bacon and eggs for breakfast, cheeseburger no bun for lunch, and a ton of baked fish for dinner...the quantities were so large that I don't understand how it can be healthy, but then again Dr. Atkins said in his book I would feel that way. I have high hopes that this diet will work. I am currently tipping the scale at 327 and would like to reach at least 175. I am 5'10 and have a med to large frame. Over the summer I lost some weight unintenionally. My scale only goes to 350 and when I got on I wouldn't register anything but error which meant I was over 350. In that time I moved out of an apartment I shared with my best friend and in with my grandparents so I can save money. I contribute that to my weightloss because when I was with her we would eat fast food at every meal and basically just sat around the house when we werent working. Hopefully with that headstart the Atkins will work for me the way it has for so many others. My granddad even offered me $500 if I lost 100 pounds but I am gonna try barganing with him to get me a treadmill instead. I love to walk but its always too muggy outside and soon it will be too snowy. I hope he will go for that. Best of luck to you, I hope we all succeed.

Jennifer 3FC
08-31-2003, 11:47 PM
Good luck Jazzystar! Don't give up. The next couple of days might be tough when you want bread, etc, but the hard part will be over soon. In a few days you will feel good as new. Jump in and post any time you like!

Tummy Girl
09-01-2003, 11:13 AM
Wow, new people everywhere, Cool! So a nice warm welcome to jessjohnsmom, bkramer and jazzystar.

jessjohnsmom It's so much easier to decline all the starchy stuff once you've been on the program for awhile. I think the best advice I ever received concerning Atkins was to eat at home the first 2 weeks. After that, pizza is not nearly as good as it used to be considering what it does to your body after that. Hope today is finding you right on track. :)

bkramer You said it, my word for the day is fabulous! Congrats on the 8.5 pounds! There are plenty of people in this forum that are slower losers too so that may help maintain the motivation and one of them just lost a few after plateauing for awhile. It's a great bunch.

jazzystar Go for the treadmill! :lol: A hundred pounds is a large goal to help motivate but a treadmill is useful. I needed to loose 75 pounds when I began Atkins and I've been doing 10lbs goals, it comes so much quicker than a full 75 which might take a year. Glad you've moved, it's always so hard when you get wrapped up in an unhealthy lifestyle with another person, it is so much harder to change but glad your move will help out with money and your health. And you're totally right about the large portion thing. I felt like super pig the first few days and was rather crabby, then 4 days or so in I had to fight to keep my calories over 1000. Your appetite just disappears and all you are left with is the emotional eating side of things which is just as, if not more difficult, than the hunger. But it becomes possible on this program.

Oh and just to make sure you all have heard of it, a lot of us here use www.fitday.com (http://www.fitday.com) to track net carbs, calories and to ensure we're hittting the 65F/5C/30P ratios that are the cornerstone of Atkins.

Soooo, everyone come join us in the daily naterings, it's a great place to air out stuff, rant, brag and just chat. Hope to see more of you guys in the coming weeks, or less, whichever the case may be.

Tummy

jessjohnsmom
09-01-2003, 02:34 PM
Thanks tummy girl! Yep i am right back on track today i will never venture off again,today i am feeling the pains of doing bad.i was feeling so good and then i messed it up,but oh well i went to the store and got my stuff and am boiling my eggs to make deviled eggs for later!
Thanks for the support will this thread be the official thread for the atkins dieters or should we start a new one!:D

Ruthxxx
09-01-2003, 05:52 PM
No need to have a standalone thread for Atkins as most of us are on that plan. Remember to post in the daily as well as making separate threads for specific questions. We're all in the same low carb boat.

jiffypop
09-01-2003, 06:31 PM
hi ruth!!! just a quick wave and a hug and kiss for you.

and good luck to all you dedicated atkids!!!!!

fullfig
09-02-2003, 08:23 AM
i just started atkins today. my sisters have done extremely well. i am hoping to be successful also.

Tummy Girl
09-02-2003, 08:43 AM
Hi fullfig, welcome. It must be fabulous to have all that support in the family. Most people have to find it elsewhere so congrats on a good start. Come by and post on the daily so we can get to know you better. Happy low-carbing.

Tummy

fullfig
09-05-2003, 07:06 AM
my sisters are great. i only wish that we lived closer together. one is on the east coast and the other in the deep south. i am currently out of the states for two years. sounds like you are doing extremely well. i'm hoping to find my scales soon. our furniture and stuff has just arrived. also, how is the daily listed? where do i find it? i'm still pretty new here. thanks so much in advance. :D

Ruthxxx
09-05-2003, 08:27 AM
Good morning, Fullfig. We are glad you found us. This is a great place.

The Daily usually has the current date in it and sometimes a catchy title. Today is "TGIF - Friday, September 5. The first person who wakes up usually starts it, even if it's just to say "back later". I used to be first in here but my morning schedule has been revised. Feel free to start it up any time.

May I ask where you are "out of the States" - in Canada perhaps?

Big Mamalou
09-09-2003, 04:38 PM
Hi! I'm not new, but just returning to this board. I have been on Atkins since the end of June and have lost 11.5 pounds. I am not really counting carbs because I know what I can and cannot eat. I just have a few more carbs then on Induction. Seems to be working okay for me. I need to drink more water--hate that! Excersize will come a little later. I need to see the weight come off and not to see it turn to muscle on the scale otherwise, I will get discouraged.

d_rowland
09-12-2003, 12:31 PM
I lost 30 pounds on Atkins in 2000, but the past year I have managed to put most of it back on - left the WOE and drifted back to carb city!

Back at it now. Started induction Monday, September 8th!

supersized
09-12-2003, 05:31 PM
I've been on Atkins since June 24 and have lost 18 pounds. I've lost more pounds more quickly and easily but picked this plan for two reasons. First, everyone I know that has tried it other than myself has lost at a good rate especially the first few weeks. Second, I have high cholesterol and Fullfig's doctor told her that the Atkins diet lowered his cholesterol. I'm gonna have my cholesterol checked next week to see if there has been any improvemnt. I'm not sure how long it takes for positive dietary changes to effect cholesterol readings. Anyway, I'm hoping for the best.

rover1
09-29-2003, 03:41 AM
If you drink alcohol, it must be either spirits or very dry wine. Otherwise, it will throw things out of whack.

Originally posted by kfs151
I started Atkins at the end of March and moved on from induction to OWL about the time the yummy berries started to ripen :lol:

I aim for 20-40 g of carb a day although I'm not always under the 40 - usually I'm pretty good. I've lost 35 pounds so far although I have been struggling with the same two pounds the last couple of weeks as I'm having too much sugar alcohol and not enough exercise.

I use CalorieKing on my PDA to help me track my carbs and occasionally fitday.com to figure out my rations (I find entering foods in fitday too much of a pain).

Good Luck!

Tulip-Fairy
09-30-2003, 05:43 AM
Hi Everyone!

I have been on a low fat diet for a while now and have managed to drop 8lbs but i'm STARVING ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!! so i started to read up on the Atkins diet....it has such a bad press but so many followers i wanted to know more.............It sounds like the perfect diet for me...i love my food and have had problems with a wheat intolerance for years, so i figured it's almost tailor made for me....

I am on my second day of induction now and have yet to be hungry.....my water intake is always good so no problems there! I used fitday to track what i'd eaten yesterday and was suprised at how low my carbs were - 7 !!! A bit worried about my calorie intake though and the fat % nearly had me running for the scales, but i'm going to stick with it and weigh myself on Sunday to see if there has been a loss or a gain!! :^:

Here's getting to know you all over the coming weeks!

KarenW
09-30-2003, 03:34 PM
Welcome Tulip!!

I have insulin Resistance so Atkins is great for me too! Isnt the non-hunger part just the best?:D I come from the low-fat mentality too, but since my dr recommended it to me.. I am going with it. He will be doing more bloodwork in December so we shall see how my cholesterol and other stuff is doing then!

Post often! It really helps!

Tulip-Fairy
09-30-2003, 04:55 PM
Hi all,

Well what a day..............i have stuck with it, made myself some delish meals and managed to get my carbs up to 19!!! T

Then, and not coz i was craving it or anything but my friend returned my cake tin [i made her a birthday cake the other day] and inside it was two pieces of toblerone as a thank you...i had one piece with a coffee and gave the other piece to hubby........i totally forgot [honest!!] that i was on a "diet" and wasn't supposed to eat it...

...so i confessed it on fitday and my carbs went up to 24!!!! grrrrrr:o :o

I don't feel like i'm dieting......i'm so satisfied...this is great!!!

:D :D

LittleFreedom
09-30-2003, 06:00 PM
Hi Tia, I'm new also, I am on day seven of Atkins, I don't get on the scale often, but last I weighed in was day six and I had only lost 4.5 lbs. I don't get enough carbs, but I do eat a salad a day. I really want my wl to move a little faster, so I'm going to start eating the veggies like the book says and also incorporate some exercising into my days. I also am going to start looking into the recipes and finding better things than eggs/hamburger patties/celery to munch on. I plan on staying on induction for quite sometime, so I need to become a better cook :p

Froufy
09-30-2003, 08:51 PM
Welcome to all tne newcomers to Atkins - a great plan if you like to eat and don't want to go hungry.

Try and avoid weighing yourself until the end of the two week induction, and a clean induction is best to get the absolute best results!

I was also afraid of all the fat!...coming from a low fat mentality, and was certain I would actually GAIN weight on Atkins, but lo and behold the opposite is true. Keep those ratios up (65% fat, 30% protein, and 5% carbs) and you will do really well.

Good luck and keep posting on your progress!

Froufy

Tulip-Fairy
10-01-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by LittleFreedom
I also am going to start looking into the recipes and finding better things than eggs/hamburger patties/celery to munch on. I plan on staying on induction for quite sometime, so I need to become a better cook :p

Hi LittleFreedom,
I am on day 3 of induction. I am a committed foodie, i cook / bake all the time, i have more recipe book than i need but hey ho i list it as one of my hobbies! I will post what i've eaten so far if you like, it may give you some ideas - you'll have to double check the quanities etc as i am still really new to atkins.

egg & bacon omlette for breakfast

scrambled egg with bacon & mushroom

chicken breast cooked with tblsp lemon juice, tsp chives & parsley baked in foil served with a cup of steamed cabbage

Steak on a bed of mixed salad leaves with a topping of onions & mushrooms [not many, just a taste] and garlic mayo

Beef stroganoff made with water not stock & wine served on a bed of green veg

chicken slices rolled up with a slither of celery and cream cheese with chives [a v. tasty snack!!]

If you need any help - give me a shout........i am going to try to post daily!

Froufy - i know what you mean about all the fat! :eek: :eek: but isn't it a nice feeling being full instead of that dull ache of hunger??!!

Metami
10-11-2003, 02:12 AM
I have been on Atkins since Easter. I have lost 26 pounds had got down 30 but gained 4 back for no reason I could tell. I stay about 40 carbs most days. I exercise on my Gazelle 30 min 5 days a week. Happy with Atkins I intend to be here for life. My Mom, Dad, Sister and Daughter are all doing it. Militent about suger and have to sew my mouth shut when people say they just cant give up so and so. :)

Marishka
10-11-2003, 06:15 PM
I have been on Atkins nearly 33 months. I have dropped 110 lbs. Now, I lose most of the weight from February through August, and metabolism slows down from September to January. My shrink said it is the hibernation response. I just keep eating the same way (different proteins, veggies) and have variety in my menus. Now I average 30-40 carbs a day. This past week I started charting the carbs along with WW pts to see how it compares. Since it is all about choices, my pts have been 30 and my carbs were 30-40.

Miztrezz - you do know that the tonic in gin/tonic is actually as high in carbs as regular soda.

I think part of the reason I slow down in the winter is because I am not as active, due to the weather.

My shrink started Atkins 4 months ago and is recommending it to all his patients. I have eliminated most of my meds since I have been on Atkins. The doc sees the improvement. He tells his patients that for their mental health, they should eliminate the white stuff and trans fats whether they have weight to lose or not.

I still have 106 lbs to go, and I feel great. I don't feel like a woman who is still a long way from her weight goal. My personal goal is to stay eating healthy, one day at a time.

Good luck to you all.

Tulip-Fairy
10-12-2003, 04:46 AM
I'm at the end of my two week induction now and will be doing it for another week at least. I have managed to loose 6lb with little or no effort - i haven't been hungry and i am now only 4 pounds off my goal weigh - when i will move on to OWL.

My two big slip ups this fortnight have been wine on a saturday night - i've controlled the amount (a first for me!) but it has blown the carbs skywards and probably stopped me loosing as much as i should have done - hey ho it was worth it!! lol

TwoPillows
10-13-2003, 10:34 AM
Hi. I'm on day 2 of Induction. I have gained back almost all the weight I lost 2 years ago. I'm rather depressed by that. But, otherwise my life is so wonderful right now...

My DH and I just had our 30-something Birthdays last week, we got a family membership at the Y as a joint present. I am trying to go 5 days a week. I am finally giving weight training a try. I hope that with the exercise and Atkins, I'll make my outside look as good as my inside feels.

I have done Atkins before, I lost 12 pounds in 4 weeks, then lost focus. I think my problem was that I never intellectually accepted that eating that much fat could be good for me. I went on to the SBD, but found that I had real cravings on it. Then I got off track and gained it all back.

This time, I have the advantage of knowing every carb count by heart. I have bought some Atkins products this time as well, so there is always an OP snack on hand when life gets crazy. I am down to 1 cup of coffee a day. I have my eggs and cheese and and good deli meats all stocked up. I even splurged on an organic low carb bread (its a just in case I'm losing my mind for a slice of bread purchase). So, I aim for 16 carbs a day, so I have a little wiggle room.

When I feel weak, I think back to week 3 of my last attempt at Atkins, I remember telling my husband that for the first time in my life food was just food. I want to get back there again.

PS- The morning start cinamon roll bars are really, really good.

supersized
10-13-2003, 11:32 AM
Welcome newcomers!

Marishka, you are doing great! You're pictures really tell the story.

I consider myself a slow loser since I've only lost 25 pounds since 24 june 02. However I just discovered by reading previous posts that I have lost 7 pounds in the last month. I think cutting out the lo carb meal bars, drinks, snack bars and aspartame sweetened soft drinks is to be credited for speeding my up a bit.

It's amazing how some things cause a gain for some and have no effect on others. At any rate find what works for you and stick with it.