Old 09-01-2015, 06:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Height: 5'6

Default 2014 Starters...September Back to School.....Back to Basics!

OK Hopefully I did this right and am kicking off our new thread for the month...
Sgrealtor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

So much going on yesterday on the thread..

First off welcome back One!! I have missed you so.....

Roe good news from the Dr.

Julie - Yes I am in the same boat...Staying afloat but not moving forward any time soon....

So I think back to school back to basics for me is back to routines and hopefully getting this last 10 dropped so I can begin maintenance....

Lets start the fall out strong!
Sgrealtor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #3  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Getting so close to Onederland I can taste it. Weekly losses have really slowed as I have approached goal -- averaging only about 1.25 pounds per week.

On another note, I FINALLY got my water intake up to where it's supposed to be. The recommended amount is 1/2 fluid ounce of water, per pound of body weight, per day. For me that's a whopping 100 fluid ounces of water per day. I am sure it's helping to keep me flushed out and on that weight-loss pathway.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 09-05-2015 at 02:59 AM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

Yay new thread!! And welcome back Cheryl!!

Back to basics describes my week - I'm feeling stuck in the weeds, so to speak. I've been bobbling up and down 3-4 pounds since I started maintenance, which is fine - but over the weekend I shot up 5 more! I'm not really sure what's going on and it's frustrating - I feel like I'm following the rules, and really most of my days look more like P3 than P4 - I might add a piece of cheese at lunch and/or a small carb at dinner, but not every day. P1 after a fun meal, etc.

So I did a P1 day again yesterday, unrestricted items only, and doing the same today. Plus drinking enough water to drown a camel.

I know I'm behind on everyone's stuff - I've been pretty swamped the past couple of weeks. Will try to do better about keeping up with y'all!
JJTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #5  
Reboot: 11/28/16

S/C/G: 275/190/257.7

Hi all!

Back from vacation and back to basics for me too. I am in Onederland - by a nose! Was actually 198.6 before vacation and was the same when I got back. Then in the two days home I stuffed myself with cheese, hence the 199.7. Stress eating. I must find a better way to cope. Back to basics started yesterday. Sigh.

I hope you all have a strong day!
Rayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #6  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Sue - that freaked me out, reading the old thread and seeing the quote boxes disappear! Then I realised that the thread was closed. Talk about ... duh moment!

Amber - Glad you had a nice break visiting with family - it's always nice for them to see you looking healthier and happier as a result of being able to take part in more activities. Hopefully we're both healthy enough to get back to our good fitness regimen again now!

Alexandra - my word, those are some phenomenal stats, lady. So proud of you for getting back on after your 75lb blip, and 1000 miles? You need a t-shirt proclaiming your awesomeness!

Liana - don't you dare fall off the wagon, Missus. Your exemplary patterns have inspired me many a time when I was tempted to throw in the towel. I'll make you a deal: you stop cheating and so will I. I watch your MFP like a ravenous scavenger. Love, love, love the dancing animations, where do you find them all?

Sue - In a way I envy you the cold weather. We're lucky to get a couple of weeks a year when a sweater is necessary, much less colder than that. Of course, being a Brit, I have lots of sweaters that just sit in vacuum bags waiting for me to visit home. Treat yourself to a luxury sweater in your new size - then you can feel good on two counts!

CenTX - Loving your attitude with regard to the scale number, and focusing on your BF%. That is such a good way to view it, much healthier than obsessing on a weight. I like how supportive your doc is, and I know that you'll end up where you want to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22
I can't explain 18 pounds in 2 weeks but I know the first week wasn't fat. I averaged 3.3 per week the first time and I hope that is what is at least this time around. I guess it is possible that I had the underlying health issues when I did this before and could have attained faster results if not for that. Because I didn't get the testing until after I was close to goal, I can't know but I will monitor closely this time. I hope I average 5 pounds a week knowing my blood is good
Interesting. I lost 12lbs in 9 days, but the second I had a few calories too many I gained almost instantly, so I know it isn't deep fat that I've lost. I wonder how this ties in with fast loss. You've just given me my research for the day, watch this space for details later!

Awesome that all your blood tests came back normal, Ro, that must be such a great feeling after the abnormalities. I am thrilled for you after the rollercoaster you've had. Way to go on the great numbers down. I think you have to look at the ketone meter as a scale. Your blood ketone level will never be constant, because the body is permanently using the ketones and making new ones. Eating regularly on a schedule will help if you are aiming for consistency, as it means your body will have regular times for ketone production between them. You may find that your level is highest in the morning as the body has produced fuel overnight during what it traditionally a "famine" time. Trying to remember which of my online gurus had the big study on ketones. If I get the old computer back online I'll find it and post for you.

Cheryl - so glad you're back and I'm beyond sorry to hear about the numbness in the hands and the fall. Hopefully the knee will settle down without invasive surgery being necessary and that the pain will lessen rapidly.

I also love your ideas about the dinner meals and making broth from store bought rotisserie chickens. Such a brilliant idea, and much healthier than buying the high sodium bouillons. Thanks for the tips. Hope hubby is slowly on the road to recovery, must be quite a shock to have his mobility impaired suddenly.

Julie - Congrats on your 65lbs down and we're glad to share the journey with you for the next 100. The small cheats are the bigger problem, in my opinion. With the big cheats you EXPECT to suffer consequences and it's easier to get a grip and say "I can't keep doing this", but the small cheats are insidious and they can migrate to "I'll just add an extra tsp of this or that to the meal, it won't make that big a difference" and before you know it, you're no longer measuring.

JJ - it's just a matter of finding the sweet spot. You've got this, girl.

Alexandra - got my pom poms ready for the cheer section on Onerderland. Keep going!

Rayze - Congrats on not gaining on vacation, that's a big achievement in anyone's book! Couple of pounds up is easily dealt with, we just have to get a grip!

Sounds like many of us are in the same boat again, with small upticks or needing to break bad habits. Let's make September our "good habits" months. We know how it works, we know THAT it works, so let's get to it, Ladies!

PS I was just wondering why we don't have a 3FC-IP t-shirt. Any designers out there?
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Interesting post about rotisserie chickens and the amount of saline and "yeast extract, oleoresin, sodium tripolyphosphate and other "natural flavorings" go into them.
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-rotisse...popular-179686

"Liana - don't you dare fall off the wagon, Missus. Your exemplary patterns have inspired me many a time when I was tempted to throw in the towel. I'll make you a deal: you stop cheating and so will I. I watch your MFP like a ravenous scavenger. Love, love, love the dancing animations, where do you find them all?"
Amanda: I promise to smarten up! Last night was my last Toblerone bar, the other one is staying in the freezer for DH, along with his two tubs of French Vanilla ice cream (which does not tempt me in the least.) I have to get back to posting my diary on MFP including the evening stuff. I start off very well every day (mainly because I am not all that interested in food most of the day, lol) but come 10pm-ish I change into a monster! So I suppose I could be in a worse position if the rest of my day was as disastrous. I 'google image' gifs for my posts according to what I am looking for.
We are back on the diet ninja trail, you & I!

Cheryl & Ro, glad to see you back.
Howdy to all the other gals out there, sorry if I'm not specific at times but I read you all!
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #8  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Amanda - I think our bodies may be similar. If I consume extra calories while doing Phase 1, I gain like crazy. Just recently, I gained 21 pounds in 2 weeks. I took almost all of this off in the next 2 weeks (hence the 18 pound loss), but I have these wild swings if I go off plan while doing P1. The only explanation from the nutritionist is that I could be super-carb sensitive and that I may have to be lower carb as a maintenance plan and that phasing is very important for me to gradually re-introduce vs what I get through "normal" eating. I will see what happens when I get to goal and phase. I never reached the IP phase off so I am hoping that is the key for me. I am hoping that takes no more than 12 weeks for me to achieve the start of P2. I know this from the wild swings...that my body goes through an adjustment after a large loss like this and for me to not sweat it if I don't lose in week 3 which has derailed me in my efforts this summer.

Last edited by Ro22; 09-01-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #9  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the nice welcome back remarks from everyone - It is so much like old home week to be back on this thread and seeing what's going on with everyone -- I have really missed you all!!

Thanks for starting off the new thread, Sue! Back to School..... Back to Basics is a resounding theme for me. Like Liana, I need to get back to a good routine of posting food intake on MFP, as well as following the P1 program without extra packets and those insidious little cheats that Amanda refers to.

Big news item for me today -- my IP clinic is closing down by the end of the month and transferring clients to another clinic in Fairfax that is even further from my home. The clinic is part of an OB-GYN practice.... this implies some actual medical support, rather than the Chiro/Fitness Trainer environment I have been in over the past year..... I have to confess though that I really want to be somewhere that has strong maintenance support. So I may shift to the famous Dr. Zumbado on Maryland. She does seminars on maintenance that seem to be good -- her clinic is further away from home (about a 45 min drive), but doable if I plan ahead for it, and once I declare victory with weight loss and shift to mainenance, monthly visits will hopefully be enough.

Good part of all this was discounted food from my old clinic - I got 10 boxes of bars and some cappucchino drink mix and some soups today for $20 per box -- much better than the $28 per box price I had been paying. Everything I bought is from the packets I use regularly -- too bad they had already sold out on some of my favorites like the oatmeal and pancake mix.

The other big news item for me was the thread regarding reformulated Quest bars -- very sad news. I went to their website and sent my disappointment and appeal for return of the lower fat formulation. Then I stopped off at GNC to buy 3 boxes and a few singles of the brownie bars that have the original macros. I will treat them like gold and savor them for as long as possible.

So - a return to tribe, but some new situations to deal with. Will keep you all posted as things evolve.

Hey Ro -- while at GNC I picked up a canister of Quest Peanut Butter protein powder and will try your cookies -- these could be a good substitute for the cookies I was making from the Quest bars -- better choice as they will not be restricted.
I admire your ability to avoid the restricted and artificial sweeteners altogether - I believe those are triggers for me too, but I cannot seem to cut them out entirely. Maybe you will be my inspiration to try to do that - I am sure it would benefit my health and my likelihood of successful maintenance if I could leave those foods behind. Thanks for keeping us up to date on your evolution - I truly admire your persistence!!!

Last edited by oneuh2; 09-01-2015 at 10:11 PM.
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:00 PM   #10  

Ro22 I am discovering that I am highly carb sensitive - I had a good WI today, down 10.5 in two weeks and down 3 inches, the rest is mostly in my tummy as expected. Still up 7 inches there from my lowest - that’s bananas. Everything else went right back down to usual.
The doctor and coach both say I’m just really carb sensitive. And I had almost NO carbs to cause the gain. Very, very low carbs since finishing P1 - no flour/sugar/alcohol except a few bites/drinks here and there in July. Boo. BUT…. at least now I now, and have the tools to deal with it so I can stay healthy.

Liana I love your Ninja sooooooo much. I’m in it with you guys, fellow ninja here.

Cheryl it’s so nice to have you back.
I think you will love having a more medically based practice - it’s been so helpful to me. I have a fantabulous chiropractor but internal health truly is not his specialty, and he has been only peripherally helpful in my weight loss - mostly just a cheerleader and also of course adjusting my body as it went through it’s downward journey, and needing to re-learn how to hold all of its bones and muscles together.

Amanda a big welcome back even though I’ve said it before. It’s so nice to see you helping so many people on the different threads. I’ve been walking every day and a little swimming, and likely will get back to the yoga soon. I’m not going to go all out until the end of the month when I finish the reboot, as I am on VLCal for me, but soon will be an exercise beast with you again lol.
I would love to get back to running in October, it’s great weather for it then - that’s my goal anyway.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 09-01-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:41 PM   #11  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Amanda: I promise to smarten up! Last night was my last Toblerone bar, the other one is staying in the freezer for DH, along with his two tubs of French Vanilla ice cream (which does not tempt me in the least.) I have to get back to posting my diary on MFP including the evening stuff. I start off very well every day (mainly because I am not all that interested in food most of the day, lol) but come 10pm-ish I change into a monster! So I suppose I could be in a worse position if the rest of my day was as disastrous. I 'google image' gifs for my posts according to what I am looking for.
We are back on the diet ninja trail, you & I!
Good habits here I come! Had an excellent day. Even got a nice long walk in. September is the JFDI month for me. Time to stop prevaricating.

Ninjas Go, Go, Go! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22 View Post
Amanda - I think our bodies may be similar. If I consume extra calories while doing Phase 1, I gain like crazy. Just recently, I gained 21 pounds in 2 weeks. I took almost all of this off in the next 2 weeks (hence the 18 pound loss), but I have these wild swings if I go off plan while doing P1. The only explanation from the nutritionist is that I could be super-carb sensitive and that I may have to be lower carb as a maintenance plan and that phasing is very important for me to gradually re-introduce vs what I get through "normal" eating. I will see what happens when I get to goal and phase. I never reached the IP phase off so I am hoping that is the key for me. I am hoping that takes no more than 12 weeks for me to achieve the start of P2. I know this from the wild swings...that my body goes through an adjustment after a large loss like this and for me to not sweat it if I don't lose in week 3 which has derailed me in my efforts this summer.
Similar in gain patterns, but not in sensitivity. I do not have the justification for that at all ... I can go up to about 120 carbs before I even get knocked out of ketosis, provided my caloric intake is within 10% of my metabolic rate. All of my problems come in with the fat storage method through excess carb intake at one meal. If I ration the carbs out over the day I have no problems at all, but as soon as I have more than my body truly needs it will instantly store. This is why I feel like the michelin man right now - the fat padding went back on very quickly (but is fortunately dropping equally quickly provided I don't over indulge!). My BF% rocketed up with the weight gain, too.

We've just got to find what actually works, what the ramifications of eating certain things at certain times are, and build our future based on the outcomes we anticipate for specific eating habits, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuh2 View Post
Good part of all this was discounted food from my old clinic - I got 10 boxes of bars and some cappucchino drink mix and some soups today for $20 per box -- much better than the $28 per box price I had been paying. Everything I bought is from the packets I use regularly -- too bad they had already sold out on some of my favorites like the oatmeal and pancake mix.

The other big news item for me was the thread regarding reformulated Quest bars -- very sad news. I went to their website and sent my disappointment and appeal for return of the lower fat formulation. Then I stopped off at GNC to buy 3 boxes and a few singles of the brownie bars that have the original macros. I will treat them like gold and savor them for as long as possible.

So - a return to tribe, but some new situations to deal with. Will keep you all posted as things evolve.

Hey Ro -- while at GNC I picked up a canister of Quest Peanut Butter protein powder and will try your cookies -- these could be a good substitute for the cookies I was making from the Quest bars -- better choice as they will not be restricted.
Have you tried any of the HealthSmart bars? I used to think they were pretty heavyweight in comparison to Quest, but with the advent of change in formulation the HS bars are a perfectly acceptable alternative with lower values (albeit a smaller bar). The rockie road one is superb, and sliced onto parchment paper and tossed into the oven makes nice cookies, too. So far haven't really come across a bar that I don't like, but I have adapted to the sweeter taste of the artificial sweetener in bars, and don't find the regular candy bars sweet enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful4Health View Post
Ro22 I am discovering that I am highly carb sensitive - I had a good WI today, down 10.5 in two weeks and down 3 inches, the rest is mostly in my tummy as expected. Still up 7 inches there from my lowest - that’s bananas. Everything else went right back down to usual.

Amanda a big welcome back even though I’ve said it before. It’s so nice to see you helping so many people on the different threads. I’ve been walking every day and a little swimming, and likely will get back to the yoga soon. I’m not going to go all out until the end of the month when I finish the reboot, as I am on VLCal for me, but soon will be an exercise beast with you again lol.
I would love to get back to running in October, it’s great weather for it then - that’s my goal anyway.
Are you having lots of fluid? I ask because if I don't get my 72oz in I start retaining water and it gives a false gain. I am very prone to dehydration as I don't have a very strong thirst drive (think I may be part cat in that respect! LOL) and it makes more difference than I ever realised. It also means that I bloat quickly and the tape measure isn't kind. Of course, our weather has been sitting in the low 100s for the last 3 weeks so I should've upped my water ration in any case.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #12  

Amanda, I am drinking a ton of fluid, but I think in July I was down on intake, and I do think that was part of it, thank you for reminding me.
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Good morning ladies! So after 2 days of strict P1 some of those crazy up-pounds are gone - flushed away? I was able to get in and see my coach this morning - it's been a month so it was time anyway. And I have to say thank God for fancy scales - my weight gain is muscle! Fat % was lower than ever too. Whew!! I'm not sure how that happened since I haven't been working out, but my coach said it's pretty common because people are more active. She did tell me to start getting in some regular exercise - interval walking and yoga, and we'll see what my stats are like in a month.

We talked about my eating habits, and she said I'm on the right track as far as following program. Updated her on the celiac too, and that my husband and I may end up going that route. She reminded me to watch the labels, especially on snacks, to make sure we weren't getting too much junk, sugar, carbs, etc.

Definitely glad I went in - I feel like a "weight" has lifted off of my shoulders.
JJTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:16 PM   #14  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuh2 View Post

I admire your ability to avoid the restricted and artificial sweeteners altogether - I believe those are triggers for me too, but I cannot seem to cut them out entirely. Maybe you will be my inspiration to try to do that - I am sure it would benefit my health and my likelihood of successful maintenance if I could leave those foods behind. Thanks for keeping us up to date on your evolution - I truly admire your persistence!!!
Good to see you back, Cheryl!
I think the Quest powder will be the trick for you if you want to cut extra artificial sweeteners. These powders are plenty sweet as is so I don't add any extra. Make sure you mix in enough water or they could come out dry.
I also make muffins with them.

I have a frustrating new health ailment I am dealing with. Just as I turn a corner on one, I get hit with another. I have an MRI in the morning for my back. My Dad fell a few weeks ago and my brother and I picked him up and my back has been bothering me since. I golfed on Sunday and Monday and now my back has me in agony. I got into see orthopedist today who prescribed Medrol dose pack and Norco. He said he can alleviate the pain but he is worried about my feet weakness so he fears and suspects a herniation - this has happened twice before for which I have had to have surgery each time. I would think pain could cause weakness but he didn't mention that - I hope there is a simple answer to this.
To make matters worse, I read on the dose pack that it can spike blood sugar for diabetics. I wonder if if will knock me out of ketosis. If it does, I will stay strong - it is only a 6 day treatment. I dread driving with this it is so painful and I know it will be that way after laying in MRI for an hour. I am dreading tomorrow but maybe my first day of meds will kick in some by morning.

Last edited by Ro22; 09-02-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:10 PM   #15  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

It's late and I have to get up and go downtown to the office tomorrow (I am down to doing this only one day a week), so I am just making a quick stop by this evening.

Ro- so sorry to hear of your back problems - I can certainly relate - the idea of more medical problems to deal with when what we really want to do is to take care of our eating and work on our fitness is very aggravating.
I go to see the orthopedist on Friday for a report on my knee MRI... the fact that I need to come back to see him to discuss it sounds like the news will not be so good. But you inspire me with your persistence - I am in for the duration and will do what needs to be done.

So glad to see the thoughtful posts by Amanda and GrH, and Jen!!! So glad to see you posting here with the 2014 Starters - you have not abandoned us for the Maintainers!!! Way to go on the fat percentage, too!!

I went to a very fun Texas 2 Step class tonite - thought of all you Texan ladies as I made my way around the dance floor.... quick-quick, slow, slow - with a turn, some promenade, a turn into a 'cape' move -- what a fun way to move and get exercise!!! I had a full hour of smiling that left me energized!

But time to call it a night - be back to you guys tomorrow!
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote