Old 08-26-2015, 11:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/153/135

Height: 5'2"

Question Need a break...anyone else felt this way?

Hi everyone, this is my very first post, so bear with me if it turns out a little screwy! I just don't know where else to go at this point. I started IP on 7/1/15 and since then, have shed 20 lbs (baby weight). I was feeling really great about my weight loss but in the recent weeks have felt my motivation start to wane, primarily because of a tidal wave of stress in my life. I feel like I'm at a point in my life where I'm about to snap, and taking a break from the diet is the only thing I can see where there is flexibility.

Before I gained the baby weight, I was not an over-eater by any means and don't want to lose all of the great progress I've made, but I feel like I just need some time to myself to get my head back on straight and jump back into this re-charged and motivated. Has anyone else felt like this before? What did you do?

Last edited by jayaji1085; 08-26-2015 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Add ticker
jayaji1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 194.4/188.3/134

Height: 5'1"

If at all possible don't leave it completely, try phasing off and maintaining. In 2012 I lost 48 pounds, had incredible stress that began in February 2013 and just ended last week and I gained everything bAck
As I think back I wish I would have phased off, and used the maintenance plan so I got "the break" I felt I needed. I know you think you are helping yourself by taking a break, think it through, don't just stop phase off and pay attention to your body and mind, poor eating and drinking does not relieve stress but adds to it.
I started back Monday and have a road ahead of me, confident of success, and knowledgeable of what to do the next time stress hits and I feel I need a break.
I hope this helps you! And I hope your stress does not sabotage your successful self care you have been providing since July.
BLUEJEWEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Height: 5'4"

Hi Jay I've been on IP since February. I have gone through bouts of, I believe they call it diet fatigue now and again. I stick with the diet and remind myself of WHY I am doing this. I also have a couple of forums on here IP related that I participate in, and the support here is truly phenomenal, Those things really helps me to stay on track. I didn't put this weight on overnight, and it's not going to come off that way either-though this is the fastest I have ever lost weight. For me, I can't/won't take a break for fear that I would not get back on track and quite possibly negate all of my work to this point. You are more than half way to your goal, you can do this! I hope that my two cents worth helps you, even if it's only a little bit. Think of your end result-!! ☺
Destony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:25 AM   #4  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

In my past attempts, taking a break is what caused me to re-gain. I was never quite able to get that motivation and momentum back. I know everyone is different, but I personally wish I just powered through. Rather than taking a break because you feel like it is the only thing you can control or that is flexible, why not do the opposite and know that you can control this, and you are choosing to stick with it.
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:03 AM   #5  
Ready to Reboot!

S/C/G: 165.8/161.4/150 (Reboot 2)

Height: 5'3

It's up to you what you want to do, but I agree you would probably have more success if you phase off properly...maybe try to do Phase 3 for a while. I want to warn you that taking a break from IP is not the key to changing the stress in your life. As long as you know that and still want to phase off until you feel like you're ready, then do what you think is best for you.
MiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

My diet is one of the few things I can control when life seems to be out of control.
Obviously you are going to have to examine the factors you are dealing with and make the decision best for you - but my $0.02:
Stress / anxiety eating has been a life long problem. I think / hope IP has given me tools and discipline to make better choices, like take a walk, rather than reach for a bag of chips. These are the habits that led many of us to be overweight to begin with and I know I have to learn better ways to handle stress, boredom, social situations or I will be the next statistic (losing the weight & gaining it right back). I am determined to not be part of that statistic.
I've also faces adversity and stress this year - right now, I am the primary source of income in our household and am looking. At potential outsourcing of my job. I have been interviewing without success. Before, this would have led to a spiral of depression and eating. I feel I have some control over that right now and it empowers me.

Not saying diet fatigue isn't real - oh my it is all too real, but the more I flex the willpower muscle, the stronger it seems to be getting

That all said, I reiterate you have to make the best decision for you & wish you luck - but as others have mentioned, be sure to phase out properly
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #7  

I can totally relate to this. In the past what has helped for me is thinking about it this way...

If for example, I am so crazy at work and the next couple of months look bleak because I will be working long hours and will have no social life (insert whatever stress you are going through here), then I say to myself...Ok, so I may not have a social life for 2 months, but at least I will be look good at the end of it! And my confidence and mood will be uplifted by that in the end. If, on the other hand I give in and comfort myself with food to get through the stressful time, then at the end of the 2 months all I will have left is a gain of probably 20 lbs. and my mood will be depressed and it will be harder to start again. You will be surprised at how fast the time will fly through this bump in the road.

Another trick when I need to get through a tough time is to mentally put myself on "autopilot" with my food and try not to think about it. Let it be the one automatic thing that you don't have to stress about. Good luck, I wish you well whatever you decide.
AusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #8  
Houda

S/C/G: 75Kg/please see thicker/60Kg

Height: 158cm

Hello everyone! i just had the same problem, i achieved my big goal a month ago, lost 15 kg but then i thought a tiny break wouldn't hurt, so for one week i wanted to eat what ever i want and that was the WORST decision ever! i started gaining weight so quick! i was thinking okay don't panic, you just can easily lose it again.. WRONG! it is soo hard to start again and as AusTex said at the end of it u'll gain weight => feel bad about it => stress => comfort food => gain more weight and it's a never ending loop (and very hard to break) if you ever want to take a break don't go back to bad eating habits but try to treat yourself once in a while with a normal meal that you make with your own hands, there are a lot of light versions of everyday life meals, and if you want to talk to someone about what's stressing you i'll be glad to listen, contact me anytime. It happened to me and i don't want it to happen to anyone else! brrr the worst feeling ever! (my skype is b-deedo)
fcoad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:18 AM   #9  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

I agree with the other here. I've done breaks and I always have to restart. If I didn't break, I'd be at my goal by now. Phasing out is better than just quitting cold turkey. It's easy to undo hard work when you feel like you've been freed from something.
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 211/ticker/165

Height: 5'9

You just had a baby! And you're stressed? Of course you are! There's nothing more demanding, especially when you ad weight gain to the picture....
When my husband and I divorced (another life changing stressor) I quit, but in an unhealthy way. If you're happy with the loss - great job BTW....perhaps you could phase off and just eat healthy for a while, just try and remember to treat yourself well with a balanced diet.
And please DO reach out! We've all been there and back
Chris8healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/153/135

Height: 5'2"

Thanks to all of you for your honest and supportive feedback! My coach and I talked and we decided that for now, I'll be staying OP for the weekdays and giving myself a break on Friday and Saturday. That way I'm mostly on plan and sure, my weight loss will slow down, but at least I will still be losing. Its a marathon, not a sprint :-)

I really appreciate all of the positive and empathetic comments, it made for a good experience on this forum! Thanks again and good luck to all of you!

jayaji1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 175/145/135

Height: 5'5"

As a constant IP-restarter, I must confess that it's very difficult to get back on track once you slip up. Yes, it's possible, but the temptation is always there. I've lost weight, falling off the wagon, got back on, fallen off the wagon.... all of this has cost me more $$$$ than necessary.

You do what you gotta do, but just want you to know that if you keep it up with IP, then that's best. Don't end up like me (i.e. a constant cheater).
DeSaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 153/134.5/130 (first goal)

Height: 5'0

I've been on and off IP for 3 years and have never reached goal. So this is my last go at it I told myself. September 26, in 4 weeks, I am phasing off and starting to exercise again. I think my body is happy where I am at and I'm OK at this size. Still hoping to at least get to 135 before phasing off so we'll see.

All I know is that I am tired of shakes, bars, etc for my meals. I want to have real food and I miss my fruit so much. I did lose lots of inches on IP, so being a size 6 now and at the age of 42 I'm content with that. It's actually the smallest I've ever been and I give IP credit for that.

Kudos to anyone who has lots more to lose and have been on this program for a year and more without cheating.
Sunflower40 is offline   Reply With Quote