General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #1  

Arrow Has anyone tried using coconut oil for weight loss?

I'm looking for someone who has tried using coconut oil and successfully lost weight. I need some advice on how you did it. Thanks.
coco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #2  

Height: 6-1.5

I am doing intermittent fasting now, making (black) coffee and coconut oil drinks to alleviate any hunger pains. I take no more than 3 teaspoons of c-oil per day at about 300 calories. This is the amount recommended for women.

I just started the intermittent fasting process at the beginning of July, and started the coconut oil last week, so I am not the best person to respond.

I don't exactly understand how it works, but the intermediate chain triglicerides in the coconut oil go directly into the liver to create keytone bodies, so you lose the keytones just as you would if you were on a low carb diet. It builds up your insulin sensitivity. ICFs are also lacking in many diets, and are very important to brain function. Coconut oil is much better than the ICFs that are sold as "ICFs" because those oils are a byproduct of the removal of Lauric acid from Coconut oil. Coconut oil is about 50% Lauric acid. I would use only organic cold pressed virgin oil, and I would not cook with it, I would use it cold. (This is the kind that tastes like coconut). In other words get good quality coconut oil meant to be eaten streight. The other stuff is cooking oil.

The whole process takes some time to get used to. Mercola and other sites describe the process much better than I could. I would say though that you should not eat a "regular" diet (SAD) while doing this because then, the coconut oil is just extra fat.

Getting fiber is important, if you are fasting. Physillium will ferment in your gut and cause gas and bloating, so it is better to use Citrical which will not ferment. Also remain hydrated. Plain liquids like water and iced tea with no sugar.

Is it working? I have seen a change (one month of 8/16 fasting). I can get into pants that I could not before. It works fairly rapidly as well.

Last edited by giselley; 08-15-2015 at 01:53 PM.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/195/165

Height: 5'4"

I don't know about diet, but I and many others I know have long given it to dogs to help improve skin and fur. Also is a natural anti-fungal so helps keep them healthy as well...and my dog loves it!
HaveDogWillDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 355/see tracker/under 200

Height: 5.5

Coconut Oil is good stuff in moderation. Make sure you used the unrefined or "virgin". Dieters like to use it because it gives them a feeling of being full and also the oil can be used to fry chicken in on a "cheat" day.

How it works is that though Coconut oil contains more saturated fat than even lard and that would tend to turn most people who are dieting away running it contains MCT's or Medium Chain triglycerides, which are fatty acids of medium length. Most fatty acids in the diet are long chain fatty acids, but medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil are metabolized differently. They go straight to the liver, used up quickly and can even help with patients who have Alzheimer's or Epilepsy.

It's recommended by some that you use no more than 1 tablespoon of it per day. Some say a lot more. What is known is that it has long lasting effects that some researchers say that people who have a "bullet coffee" in the morning will eat less calories during the day. It fills you up, gives you energy and helps brain function.

It also helps with burning belly fat. A website I read said that "A study in 40 women with abdominal obesity, supplementing with 30 mL (1 ounce) of coconut oil per day lead to a significant reduction in both BMI and waist circumference in a period of 12 weeks (19)."

I personally put 1 teaspoon in my protein shakes sometimes but it makes me feel so full I feel like I've been to an all you can eat buffet and stuffed myself that I just don't do it all that much. Since I am not an everyday coffee drinker, the bullet coffee doesn't work for me.

Last edited by JenDestiny; 08-17-2015 at 11:30 AM.
JenDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 130/108/104

Height: 5'3

I personally like to add it in my protein shakes to fill me up more. However, I would only add it into one shake a day, otherwise that is a lot of fat.
chubbysmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/222/150

Height: 5'7"

My son tried it while on the water polo team at his HS. Not a noticeable difference. I myself am allergic to coconut, so I can try it and had to make sure he had separate everything to cook with when on it. Sorry
Cikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:36 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I use olive oil. Well, I mostly eat a lot of olives and eat fish in olive oil. It doesn't seem to make me gain weight, which is great.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:21 PM   #8  

I use coconut oil and love it, but I mainly use olive oil, because it has less saturated fat. Coconut oil definitely fills me up more. It is so difficult to find good coconut and olive oil. :-)
MCCurvy is offline   Reply With Quote