Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #1  

Height: 5ft 4in

Default Self Sabotage

Am I self sabotaging myself? I do so good for weeks. I get down to 145 and them BOOM! I lose all willpower and motivation and binge for days. I have been in the high 130's so I know I can do it. And I know how it feels. It feels great! I only have 10-15lbs to lose. When I binge I feel horrible (mentally and physically) but I can't seem to stop myself. Does anyone else go through this? And if so how do you deal with it?
adaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 167/re-start:153/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

Yes, I have the same problem. In June I got down to 143, lost motivation and by the end of July I was 151. It's so frustrating.

Before having my son I could stay pretty easily between 125 and 135 and I KNOW I can get back to that, but it's so much harder than I expected. For me, daily weighing is the only thing that kind of kicks me in the butt and keeps me accountable. If I take a few days off from weighing myself, what that really means is that I am slacking on my fitness plans. I am doing an accountability thread where you post your weight each day for the month of August and I am hoping that will help keep me on track.
seize the day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #3  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

My story was almost the same as yours! Except that I was bumping up to the mid-150s...

I realized that I was out of control with carb binges. I decided to try a pretty strict low-carb (but not extremely low carb) diet for a set amount of time - 4 months, to be re-evaluated at the end of that time frame.

I have been FAR from perfect, I still have my slightly binge-y moments and I still have very little ability to control what I eat when I am with others ... but that being said, my insane chocolate/bread/candy/etc binges are eliminated and I have managed to lose 16 pounds in a little more than 3 months. Nothing short of miraculous, given that I had been trying to lose those "few" pounds for more than two years.

According to my original plan, I was to be done by the end of this month. I may continue for a while longer before going into maintenance, haven't decided yet. I have to figure out my maintenance diet AND I need to incorporate regular exercise into my life.

I chose to focus on weight loss first. Seems like in the past I was always coming up with complicated diet/exercise regimens and honestly I think I would just overwhelm myself and give up. Also at the fittest I probably ever was - running regularly, doing Body Pump classes regularly and yoga - I was holding steady at close to my maximum weight.

I SHOULD be doing more low-level exercise like walking and yoga and I do try to get that in but in general I am terrible about that. By no stretch of the imagination do I think dieting and being a couch potato is a good idea, just for me personally, I struggle a lot with making time for exercise.

So in summary, what worked for me was:
1.) committing to an eating plan for a certain time frame rather than "I have to lose X pounds."
2.) reducing carbs (eliminating sugar/white flour products etc) was what I had to do to free myself from the constant cravings.
3) I decided to focus on diet first - exercise is only walking and yoga classes.

Best of luck to you! I have to say, I was in a really, really low place when I started. It feels really good to accomplish goals (even though it was so incrementally slow that I didn't really even appreciate that I was achieving anything - hence the time commitment rather than focusing on the 0.9 pounds loss that was my average!!)

ETA: I totally agree with what seize the day said about daily accountability! Sometimes it keeps me in line knowing I have to post my weight the next day

Last edited by EmmaD; 08-07-2015 at 12:09 PM. Reason: fixin' typos
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:11 PM   #4  

Height: 5ft 4in

Thank you both for your responses. The last two days have been the worst binging in over a year. In the past year my "diet" (I hate that word) has been low carb/low to no sugar. I get most if not all my carbs from fruit and veggies. I go to the gym at least 3 days a week (2 miles on the treadmill and 20 min on weights). Last summer when I started the low carb I lost over 10lbs. Since spring it has just slowly been creeping back up. I love how I feel eating this way. My cravings are very minimal if at all but for some reason this week I have been awful! I turned 42 last month so that is not helping either. I know I will get past this. I have to!
adaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:32 AM   #5  
Weight loss enthusiast

S/C/G: 180/170/140

Height: 5 10'

You for sure will get past this. Focus on not buying the products you binge on, so when that craving hits, you cant feed it.
concon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #6  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaem View Post
Thank you both for your responses. The last two days have been the worst binging in over a year. In the past year my "diet" (I hate that word) has been low carb/low to no sugar. I get most if not all my carbs from fruit and veggies. I go to the gym at least 3 days a week (2 miles on the treadmill and 20 min on weights). Last summer when I started the low carb I lost over 10lbs. Since spring it has just slowly been creeping back up. I love how I feel eating this way. My cravings are very minimal if at all but for some reason this week I have been awful! I turned 42 last month so that is not helping either. I know I will get past this. I have to!
I saw a weird thing on Dr. Oz this morning. I guess this woman was a doctor, specializing in binge behavior. Be sure and check with your own doctor before taking any advice. Anyway, she told the woman on the show, who was having trouble, to tap - how to describe this location? - below her neck, in the front, if you drew a line from shoulder to shoulder - in the middle of that. For me, it was about six inches below my chin.

She said to tap that area repeatedly, which is a firm surface, and doesn't impinge on your throat, saying something like "I am worth taking care of." She was to do that, I believe, when she felt like bingeing. Not sure if she was to do it at other times - might make sense. Anyway, I'm going to try it, when I remember!

Best wishes with your plan. I know you'll find a way that works for you!
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/132.8/111

Height: 5'5

Ugh I'm at the peak of that kind of cycle... Got down to 140 and ballooned back up.. Great job me *sigh* hope we can stop this cycle!
LionessWhispers is offline   Reply With Quote