Old 08-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #1  

Default Carbs?! Think I am going over while 100% OP!

Tomorrow marks the end of my fourth week on phase one of IP. I've been tracking my food on My Fitness Pal since day one, and while looking at my daily totals I got to thinking I may have never gone into ketosis. I was starting to wonder anyway because I am pretty much hungry all the time, which everyone claims you won't be once you go into ketosis. I never had any weird breath or anything either.

I'm getting anywhere from 40-55 grams of carbs per day, the bulk of those carbs coming from my restricted bars and veggies. Am I doing something wrong? Can I still go into ketosis while getting that many carbs? I'm feeling like I might just be starving myself and that's not what I want!
TrueblueRutabaga94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #2  
maintaining since 9/2013

Hi Trueblue,
Are you subtracting fiber from total carbs to get Net Carbs? Net carbs is the meaningful number for ketosis. While we're all different in how our bodies react and handle carbs, etc., the rule of thumb number for ketosis is less than 50 grams NET carb.

Even if you are in ketosis, it's possible experience a lot of hunger if you are very physically active. And some people just don't get that nice hunger-suppressant reaction.

I hope at least you are experiencing good scale rewards for being 100% OP!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:05 AM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

Hi Trueblue,
I have the same problem. My coach advised me to eliminate restricted packages completely to see if that helped. I still can never get that ketosis feeling. I don't I think I ever have.
sapphire54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

MFP does not subtract the fibers to give you net carbs so you have to keep track of them and subtract yourself.

IP protocol will yield around 30-45 carbs per day depending on packet, veggie and extras choices (extras being the 4-5 additional daily allowed servings of sweeteners, WF and other 0/0/0 products). Asstated above, 50 or fewer net carvs is a good place for being in ketosis.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:11 AM   #5  

Sapphire... If you are following the plan, then even with a restricted you ARE in ketosis. Not everyone has "signs and symptoms" so for you there may be absolutely nothing to feel but it does not mean you are not in ketosis. No idea why a coach would think that your lack of a "feeling" warrants changing the program. Are you not losing weight?
Old 08-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/ticker/145

Height: 5'6

My carbs run between 60 and 80 on mffitnesspal and I am definitely in ketosis and losing weight.
doxigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #7  

Doxie - You must not be subtracting your fibers.... MFP won't do it for you. Once you subtract the fibers you will be under 50 which is why you ate losing and in ketosis!
Old 08-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #8  

Thank you all for your responses! I got a nifty chrome extension that will subtract my fibers in MFP and those numbers make much more sense! I'm feeling a bit better now. I'm 15.8lbs down in 4 weeks so I guess it's working!
TrueblueRutabaga94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #9  

I felt the same way. Purchased a freestyle and keto strips. I've yet to go above 0.3mmol. Losing weight. Just thought I would rate higher.
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:50 PM   #10  

Kendo

Ketosis is like being pregnant... You can't be a little in ketosis - you are IN or not! Ketostix that show trace (lightest color/lower readings) mean you are IN ketosis. The darker it gets, the more it indicates you are dehydrated. You do not want to get to the darker colors!! HOWEVER, Be aware of some of the downside on the ketostix...

Ketostix are not made for measuring the results of a low carb eating plan, they are made for Type 1 diabetics measuring life threatening ketones. They are not accurate for what we want to know. Also, since we drink a great deal of water on a daily basis, we dilute any ketones we excrete and they often cannot be detected by the sticks. Further, those who low carb for awhile adapt to the ketones and they tend to no longer be excreted in the urine. Therefore, more often than not, we are going to get false results and panic that we are no longer in ketosis. The BEST way to know you are in ketosis is to be 109% on plan and there will be no doubt! You can also Google Signs of ketosis if you want some concrete symptoms (not everyone gets any symptoms and some get many.)

Last edited by JLUS; 08-06-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:20 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
Kendo

Ketosis is like being pregnant... You can't be a little in ketosis - you are IN or not! Ketostix that show trace (lightest color/lower readings) mean you are IN ketosis. The darker it gets, the more it indicates you are dehydrated. You do not want to get to the darker colors!! HOWEVER, Be aware of some of the downside on the ketostix...

Ketostix are not made for measuring the results of a low carb eating plan, they are made for Type 1 diabetics measuring life threatening ketones. They are not accurate for what we want to know. Also, since we drink a great deal of water on a daily basis, we dilute any ketones we excrete and they often cannot be detected by the sticks. Further, those who low carb for awhile adapt to the ketones and they tend to no longer be excreted in the urine. Therefore, more often than not, we are going to get false results and panic that we are no longer in ketosis. The BEST way to know you are in ketosis is to be 109% on plan and there will be no doubt! You can also Google Signs of ketosis if you want some concrete symptoms (not everyone gets any symptoms and some get many.)
Good info. However I am taking blood samples, not using the pee sticks.
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:10 AM   #12  

Kendo - Even so, there are NOT degrees of ketosis. You can't be more in or less in. So what reading you see is fine!