Old 07-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/189/140

Height: 5ft 3"

Default Confused if I should take a break when I go on vacation

I am going on vacation in a couple of weeks and have been on IP since Feb. I feel wonderful that I have lost 62lbs so far. I feel I really deserve a break (I have been on this since Feb and lost 60+ lbs) but confused if I should just enjoy myself but be mindful of what I eat, or just stick to the diet for the entire trip. I will be gone for about 10 days.
SherylR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:05 PM   #2  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherylR View Post
I am going on vacation in a couple of weeks and have been on IP since Feb. I feel wonderful that I have lost 62lbs so far. I feel I really deserve a break (I have been on this since Feb and lost 60+ lbs) but confused if I should just enjoy myself but be mindful of what I eat, or just stick to the diet for the entire trip. I will be gone for about 10 days.
I strongly encourage you to stick to the diet to keep momentum going. My experience has been that you will gain a chunk of weight even though you are watching what you eat. Don't go backwards!!!
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherylR View Post
Hi Sheryl! I am in a very similar situation - started the beginning of February, have lost 60+ and am scheduled to leave for 9 days in August. When I started IP I thought about phasing off - but I have a very different mind set now. I only want to do this, once! Getting into ketosis sucked (for me...I had the keto-flu something fierce!) and I feel like my body is really working with me right now (as opposed to against me / gaining weight). We are also not going to a "foodie" type place - making this decision would be much more difficult if we were going on a once in a lifetime type trip to Europe. I feel like too part of the mindset now has to be retraining ourselves to not make food such a big part of everything - kwim? To maintain the weight loss we have to reset the habits that's obviously didn't work before. Obviously these are just mho's and I think at the end of it all you are going to have to make the best choice for you and your situation.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:13 AM   #4  

Some more food for thought on the subject:

I have seen MANY people "take a break" while on vacation and then struggle to get back on P1 (or completely disappear). There is surely something to having momentum on your side.

Another thought: What is "a break"?
A week or 10 days of eating/drinking whatever we want?

This is how we got overweight or obese in the first place.
If you read about the maintenance plan, it would only allow for straying from more regimented eating one day per week (some call it a "cheat day". I call it a "fun" day because on P4, indulging for one day is NOT cheating).

So, for a maintenance plan, even on vacation, one would choose the one day for an additional indulgence.

When we look at it like this, we realize that the plan is for life and if we don't learn a different relationship with food, we are destined to repeat history.

A vacation is a perfect opportunity to begin to learn to develop this new relationship.

My first vacation was 5 months into P1 when we went to Fort Lauderdale. The only exceptions I made were to have some P2 days, just because it worked better into my day than P1 (due to increased restaurant eating). I had no alcohol or other carby indulgences, only the additional meal (for example, a spinach salad with a chicken breast for lunch instead of a shake or bar w/veggies). My go-to drink was club soda with Mio (at home I use sparkling water from my Soda Stream so I guess the club soda was also an indulgence).

When I got home, I felt SO empowered. I really felt as if food didn't control me or my vacation. I proved that fun could be had without snacks and/or alcohol. I had begun to put food in it's proper place. Food is to nourish our bodies. I had to learn that food (and drinks) cannot be entertainment for me. AND it was the first vacation I could ever remember when I returned home without added weight to lose
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:27 AM   #5  
Started IP Jan 5/15

S/C/G: 210/206/165

Height: 5'7"

I started IP in January since then I have been on 2 vacations one to Mexico for 2 weeks and I just got back from a Europe river cruise. Both times I stopped the IP the moment I got on the plane and I made sensible choices with my food and alcohol. Both times I gained 3 pounds my coach said this was normal and just water weight, both times I lost the weight and then some within the week coming back from vacation. I was initially nervous that I wouldn't be able to get right back on protocol but I was fine plus I had made appointments with my coach the day after my return for extra support. Going on vacation was not a free pass to eat whatever I made responsible choices and did not overindulge and I did cardio everyday but I wasn't about to drive myself crazy with watching what I was eating either
Hope this helps
Arobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:24 AM   #6  
Ready to Reboot!

S/C/G: 165.8/161.4/150 (Reboot 2)

Height: 5'3

I started IP in January. I went on vacation in May and earlier this month and did a vacation phase off prior to leaving (10-14 days for both Phase 2 and Phase 3). I also planned when I would start Phase 1 again (the day immediately following the last day of vacation). My coach knew about it and I knew about it and I stuck to the plan. I had absolutely NO problems either time getting back on plan. I drank alcohol, ate pizza and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and bacon. After a week of going back on Phase 1, I was below my weight before vacation BOTH times. I am now phasing off for life and I am so happy that I did the vacation version before because I don't have to figure out planning for Phase 2 or Phase 3 breakfast...I already know what I can eat.

This isn't saying that you take a break...if you do, you need to phase off properly and make good decisions and plan for your immediate return to Phase 1...no excuses. Only you know if you can get back on plan or not. Good luck! No matter what you choose, have FUN on vacation.
MiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Some more food for thought on the subject:

I have seen MANY people "take a break" while on vacation and then struggle to get back on P1 (or completely disappear). There is surely something to having momentum on your side.

Another thought: What is "a break"?
A week or 10 days of eating/drinking whatever we want?

This is how we got overweight or obese in the first place.
If you read about the maintenance plan, it would only allow for straying from more regimented eating one day per week (some call it a "cheat day". I call it a "fun" day because on P4, indulging for one day is NOT cheating).

So, for a maintenance plan, even on vacation, one would choose the one day for an additional indulgence.

When we look at it like this, we realize that the plan is for life and if we don't learn a different relationship with food, we are destined to repeat history.

A vacation is a perfect opportunity to begin to learn to develop this new relationship.

My first vacation was 5 months into P1 when we went to Fort Lauderdale. The only exceptions I made were to have some P2 days, just because it worked better into my day than P1 (due to increased restaurant eating). I had no alcohol or other carby indulgences, only the additional meal (for example, a spinach salad with a chicken breast for lunch instead of a shake or bar w/veggies). My go-to drink was club soda with Mio (at home I use sparkling water from my Soda Stream so I guess the club soda was also an indulgence).

When I got home, I felt SO empowered. I really felt as if food didn't control me or my vacation. I proved that fun could be had without snacks and/or alcohol. I had begun to put food in it's proper place. Food is to nourish our bodies. I had to learn that food (and drinks) cannot be entertainment for me. AND it was the first vacation I could ever remember when I returned home without added weight to lose
Lisa I had this exact same experience - two months into P1 we went on a trip to Spain that had been planned for two years. I have never felt so good as I felt coming back from that trip. I often now access that strength. I had a great time on the trip and no feeling at all of deprivation. It was so much nicer feeling good physically the whole time. Since ending P1 I do small indulgences on vacations, but I feel like I can do that because of P1 and the successes gained there.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 07-23-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:13 PM   #8  
IP start April 20, 2015

S/C/G: 227.5/136/140

Height: 5'4

Wow! this is a tough one. Sounds like some of us can phase off, and then jump right back in. I know for me personally, I've never been able to do it. I go off for a vacation or Christmas and then I can't get back on and I end up heavier than I started. I guess you have to know for yourself if you can get get right back OP. Either way, enjoy your vacation, I wish you the best of luck.
livinlrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:09 AM   #9  

This isn’t about a break… but if you have a desire to ready through some travel tips while doing P1 this is a great link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...d-warrior.html
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 213/201/185

Height: 5'11"

i would take a break and enjoy the vacation, just not over do it. it may set you back a week or so, but no big deal. enjoy yourself
MDLoser is offline   Reply With Quote