Old 07-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #1  

Default Motivation when you already feel like you are at goal??!!

I have been struggling. And I feel guilty because old habits die hard. I have NOTHING to feel guilty for. I have been on this plan for 26 weeks and have lost NINETY pounds!! I get several compliments daily, am under 200lbs (20 from goal) and fitting in to a size 10-12. I am the smallest I have ever been in my life (have always been obese). How do I stay motivated to lose that last 20 when I am super happy where I am?? I did not have a LICK of anything even resembling a cheat until about 3 weeks ago where I had a cheat day. Been mostly on plan since but just can't seem to find the same motivation as I did 90lbs ago. Have had 3 or 4 days over the last couple of weeks where I have little cheats. I know this does me no favors as I am then back in the habit of it. Also, not super bad cheats - not terrible carby junk, but higher calorie high fat foods with a few carbs thrown in.
What are your thoughts on this? Do I take a break? Not sure where my head is right now, except so very proud of my accomplishments and really having a hard time following such a restrictive plan when I am in no rush to lose the last 20 within a month like I was. Your input would be appreciated!

Last edited by CloverDog; 07-14-2015 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Missed relevent info
CloverDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/ticker/165

Height: 5'9

Default Woohoo!

first of all, congrats! I'm inspired!
Two years ago, I was mentally where you are, so I let it go thinking, it won't happen to me! I won't put it back!...and now I'm back and had to start over...
I saw a Ted Talks once about accomplishment and what it does to our brain. There is something about reaching a goal that changes us, so this time, I set and am determined to reach my goal...or I will again feel like a failure and regain the weight again, and again...here we go!

Last edited by Chris8healthy; 07-14-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Chris8healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #3  

Thanks for your response! Very interesting about the Ted Talks comment. I am by no means feeling like 'giving up' as such and gaining the weight back, but I mean transitioning on to a low carb plan to lose the remaining 20 over the next couple of months. I honestly just do not feel like I have it in me to continue with this kind of restriction for another 20. If I do, I have no idea how to find it!
Old 07-14-2015, 10:24 PM   #4  
Started IP 11/28/2011

S/C/G: 268.6/174.0/160

Height: 5'6"

CloverDog,
Stop, Look, Listen and make a Plan!! You have so much to be proud of! Ninety pounds are gone! That was hard work and determination. Stop and take a deep breath. Look at what you have accomplished. Old vs new pictures. New cute clothes, feeling healthy, etc. Listen to your self talk. Is it diet fatigue? If you are happy where you are then phase off now. You can come back later if you want to still lose 20 more pounds. Decide what it is you want and make a plan. If the voices are saying that you have had enough be sure to phase off properly before you do too much cheating and can't go back.
I only say this because I too was in your shoes three years ago. I lost 95 lbs. I ended up getting the fateful diet fatigue trying to lose the last 14lbs, getting impatient, little cheats here and there turned into bigger ones. Up a size. Tried to reboot. Up two sizes. I never phased off at all and gained everything back and then some over the next year. It is so disappointing when that happens. I am 2 weeks in with starting over. Yay!
Just be sure to have a plan with phasing off whatever your decision. Good Luck! You can do it.
PS. What is Ted Talks?
doublebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

CloverDog - congrats on your successful loss!! Sounds like you have done amazingly well on IP!!and you look fantastic

Just wondering if looking at your other numbers besides that scale would help you make your decision? My coach looked at where all my other numbers were - muscle mass, fat %, measurements, etc., then we considered the scale # last. She suggested that I phase off when all those things went into healthy ranges, but ultimately left the decision to me. I had a number originally in my head so I took two more weeks to get there.
JJTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 240.2/144/145

Height: 5'5.5"

What you've done so far is so very amazing! Take a minute to reflect on it -- where your perseverance has gotten you.

I had a sticking point about 10 pounds from my goal too - seemed to hang out there forever. My coach shared stories about other women who had been tired of the diet and took a break and then could never get back into the game mentally or follow the diet afterwards.

Do your very best to get to your healthy ranges and keep your goal in mind. You might ultimately decide to quit before your original goal weight but finish strong and phase off correctly. It does make a difference.

Good luck!
andreabmva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #7  
IP start April 20, 2015

S/C/G: 227.5/136/140

Height: 5'4

CLOVERDOG: AMAZING!!!!!! You should be so proud of yourself!
Lots of excellent advice on this thread. Everyone's journey is personal and you have to do what's best for you. We may all have different journey's but we're here for the same reason and have lost and gained back (and then some). Losing the weight was tough and it will continue to be tough to keep it off but look how far you've come. You inspire me! Don't give up, phase off correctly. You owe it to your svelte, healthy self.
livinlrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #8  
Ready to Reboot!

S/C/G: 165.8/161.4/150 (Reboot 2)

Height: 5'3

Cloverdog, thank you for posting this! My goal was a size goal and not a weight goal, and I've reached that goal! Yay! I feel great. Except I am still considered overweight and 10 lbs away from a healthy BMI. That being said, I am starting to have serious diet fatigue given that I reached my goal, and my Clinic has actually encouraged me to phase off properly now before I get fed up and give up. My coach said I can always come back in a few months to lose more if I want. I think what you do at this point is up to you. If you decide to phase off properly at this point, you haven't given up at all. Or you could even set a date for when you start the phase off process that has nothing to do with weight. I wish you well, and no matter what, you have accomplished something amazing!
MiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #9  

wow, thank you SO much for all of this amazing advice and all of the compliments. It is such a good feeling to know I am not the only one and that no one is saying I should stick with it, don't quit blah blah blah. Thanks so very much.

I was not on track yesterday by cheating in the evening. I don't feel great today, a bit sluggish and a bit bloated, which is to be expected!

I think I am going to stick with it. I am going to continue on phase 1 until I get that 20 lbs off BUT I am going to allow myself a cheat day occasionally, maybe once a month. I KNOW this will knock me out of ketosis for 4 or 5 days and I KNOW this will mean I take 2 or 3 months to lose that 20 instead of likely 6 weeks but I feel like that is a good middle ground for me at this point and I will even plan my cheat days so they are also regimented and something to look forward to.

Once that 20 is gone, I will then phase off.

For me, I originally had a fat percentage number which was my goal and in my healthy range. But honestly, when your highest ever weight was 360lbs and you are only 10 away from being HALF of that weight, anything feels healthy in comparison! For the first time in my life, I am not a 'fat girl' and for me, that is honestly why I feel like I am at goal.

I WILL phase off as I am supposed to and as most of you have suggested, yes. I will not go back to where I was and make how far I have come be for nothing. Thanks again for the kind words, it means so much to me.