Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 07-14-2015, 02:42 PM   #1  
From Lazy to Light!

S/C/G: 215/Ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Default On the verge

Over the past week I've been getting really tired of the foods I've been eating. They just aren't hitting the spot for me. I've also been having insane cravings for candy. Like fruit flavored sugar: Runts, Mike & Ikes, gummy bears, sour gummy worms, jelly beans, etc. And fruit isn't cutting it, I've been trying. I feel so close to bingeing. I've been distracting myself and staying on plan. I haven't binged in nearly 2 months and I don't want to start again. I've been doing really well and I want to keep that up but I don't know how much longer I can handle these cravings. Aren't they supposed to pass?!?!!!
LovelyLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Then you might try mixing things up if you are getting bored. Alternatively if you are going very low carb then that could be your problem and you might try adding in some healthy carbs.

I don't know what you eat or what you like but I enjoy dried fruits (Turkish apricots, dates, prunes, figs), very dark chocolate, red wine, nuts (hazelnuts, almonds), olives, honey and honeycomb, dark chocolate coated dried fruits and raisins. So there might be healthy ways to deal with those cravings rather than going back to square one.

But, whatever you decide to do, I think your diet needs a shake up if it is making you feel like that.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:11 PM   #3  
From Lazy to Light!

That's some good ideas, I'll try some of those. I'm averaging around 150g for carbs. I'm struggling to figure out how to change up my diet. My breakfast is a fruit, and then either yogurt or oatmeal. My lunch is either a sandwich or a wrap. My snacks are usually some more fruit, veggies and dip, dark chocolate and sea salt kashi bar, or pretzels with cheese stick. Dinner is usually some variation of chicken and veggies, whether grilled or stir fried or roasted. Or I'll have a lower sodium healthy frozen dinner if it's a hectic day or I'm just super lazy. But that's only, maybe, twice a week. I am also craving red meat so badly but I can't fold on that because I'm now allergic to it. I also can't do any fish or seafood so I'm stuck to poultry. At least it's versatile. Maybe my next day off I need to spend some time browsing recipes.

I'm hoping these cravings are just a stress response because I have had a lot of big changes in the last week. I just switched jobs and my boyfriend and I have started ring shopping. So maybe my body just wants to go back to emotional eating.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:15 PM   #4  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

Can you try some dried berries as well? Or maybe craisins? I know both are high in carbs/sugar but they do deliver that sugary flavor that sometimes fresh fruit just doesn't deliver.
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

When I get that hankering, I suck on 4-5 tic-tacs. I keep a container in my jar just for that. That's 10 calories for 5 and it satisfies that sweet tooth.

For chocolate fixes, I buy individually wrapped small pieces and take just the one. But then, I'm not tempted by quantities being around when I'm not carbed up!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:32 PM   #6  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
When I get that hankering, I suck on 4-5 tic-tacs. I keep a container in my jar just for that. That's 10 calories for 5 and it satisfies that sweet tooth.
I want Minions Tic-tacs. Not to eat, just to giggle at.
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:14 PM   #7  
lovemylife001

S/C/G: 180/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7

I agree with everyone about the dried fruit that seems to help. Also, I keep some tootsie roll mini's handy and if I have a chocolate craving or if TOM is present I will have one tootsie roll mini and that hits the spot!
lovemylife001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:27 PM   #8  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

God, I misread your last post. At first I thought you said:

Quote:
I just switched jobs and my boyfriend
lmao

then I read

Quote:
and I have started ring shopping.
Sorry. You really startled me there! lol.

Last edited by IanG; 07-14-2015 at 07:28 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:53 PM   #9  
From Lazy to Light!

I will have to make a trip to Trader Joe's to pick up some dried fruit and also their Belgium milk chocolate. It's super smooth, creamy, rich, and decadent but only 100 calories a bar. I like to just take small bites and suck on them until it completely melts away. I'm out except for the dark chocolate but that one doesn't hit the spot for me.

Ian Yeah, I thought it was time to switch him out. He started to get a few miles on him so wanted a newer model.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:08 PM   #10  

Leah you don't seen to have much protein in your diet. I know if I ate that many carbs the cravings would kill me! I think looking for some new recipes is a good idea. You could also try adding in some nuts, legumes (like beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc), sunflower seeds, etc.

By the way, congratulations on how much weight you've lost already. The next few pounds will make a huge difference in how you look and feel.
Chubabub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

If you're looking for red meat but are allergic to beef try duck breast. You can cook it to medium or medium rare and it's very meaty. Also a pork chop. These are very satisfying.

You know what? From the sound of it to me it sounds like you need a bit of a treat. People think it's really bad to eat emotionally but I don't think it's bad at all. Food can be comforting, it's ok if it is. You run into problems when emotional eating is a daily occurrence but everything in moderation in my opinion. If you find yourself doing it daily then that means you have no other ways to cope with stress. I do not binge anymore but there are times when only food will do to cheer me up and satisfy me. After I've exhausted all my emotional coping methods and still come up short I dive right in. I think about what I want to eat most and go and get it. Nothing is off limits, but my rule is to eat until satisfaction, not like a zombie who's out of control. Satisfaction is key. So go ahead, make a batch of popcorn, get those corn chips and salsa, buy the yogurt covered pretzels, get a little bowl of cashews and a few pieces dark chocolate (I'm naming my own vices here but insert yours) and enjoy it.

Food does not lead to binging, food leads to satisfaction. It is restriction that leads to binging. I never was able to stop binging until I understood that. And I agree with the above poster, adding some legumes to your diet will help keep you much more satisfied. Make lentil veggie soup, sautee garbanzos with veggies for a quick side dish, throw black beans in your salad, this stuff is powerfully nutritious and full of fiber.

Last edited by Palestrina; 07-15-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:54 AM   #12  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I gotta say, I would give you just about the exact opposite advice as Palestrina, but that is probably because there is a such a wide-variability in how different things work for different people. It isn't that I think her advice is wrong at all, it is just wrong for me.

I no longer truly believe in "everything in moderation" as a concept -- mostly because I believe our food environment is so crazily-over-engineered. If the foods we craved were unmodified and mostly in a whole natural state, I believe I might be able to buy into "everything in moderation".

But many of the foods I crave are like the ones you describe LovelyLeah -- for me it is Swedish Fish -- which are made of something like straight sugar, corn syrup, upside down sugar, more sugar, something really artificial, and more corn syrup.

Emotionally eating a food like that becomes very difficult for me to control because my body just doesn't react well to that combination of stuff (apparently), and it will put me on the road to having to fight off the urge to binge.

I'm not saying I don't EVER eat them, or my other triggery-type-foods, because I do so loooove them, but it always comes at a price that isn't usually worth paying in retrospect. It is playing with fire -- so I tread lightly.

I have found that for myself, in my experiment of one, trigger-food-avoidance (if you want to call that 'restriction', I'm fine with that) doesn't lead to binging. Eating trigger foods does result in either having to fight the binge urges (which is exhausting in every way) or actual binging.

It has been better for me to find other ways to emotionally soothe myself -- because diving into a bag of Swedish Fish just wasn't my best option overall. Not saying that it is easy to develop a different emotion-coping arsenal, but it is doable and perhaps worth the effort over time.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 07-15-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 181/ticker/115

Height: 5'2"

I wonder if it's a bit like with quitting smoking - it's the third day, the third week, the third month that are hardest? Just a thought. Hang in there.
pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote