Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Default Fermented Foods Better for Depression/Anxiety than SSRI Meds?

I know you have to take research studies with a grain of salt, but I find this article about SSRI's making depression/anxiety worse and a correlation between gut flora and mood quite interesting. I always used to tell my doctor that antidepressants made me feel more anxious and this may explain why! http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-disorder.aspx,
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Hi there, Jacqui_D! Thanks for posting this. I've been researching fermentation a lot recently, as my mother-in-law is very into it - she is (literally) the healthiest person I know (and very smart), so I tend to listen!

I, personally, have started drinking kefir water that I ferment at home. Also, I have started experimenting with fermenting veggies (doing carrots at the moment) and I've been trying to brew my own ginger beer.

I honestly do believe there are direct links between our physical and mental health and our microbiomes. I am someone who, no matter what, always seems to get sick. I catch colds so easily, and they are always huge colds, not little ones that pass in a few days. I can always count on getting sick 3-4x per year with a cold, the flu, strep throat, etc. One year, I had strep throat FOUR TIMES - and we don't have kids AND we both work from home. How that happened, I'll never know.

Since I had my knee replaced this past December, I've been very interested in boosting my immune system so I've done a lot of research. Honestly, the only "somewhat" proven way to boost immunity is through the use of probiotics. And since that's what fermentation is all about, I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm also now reading about the link between our "gut health" and weight loss. Definitely an intriguing area of study!
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 181/ticker/115

Height: 5'2"

Must depend on the case. I know I have found tremendous help from the right SNRI medication. I've been tested and tested in so many different ways for a reason for continuous fatigue, but test after test - healthy as a hog! Couldn't be better! The only thing that kicked things on an upward track for me after years of this illness was the right medication. I feel like I've been given a new life. No side-effects either.
pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote