Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-06-2015, 07:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Default gastrectomy

Is gastrectomy pretty much the same process/term as WLS?
Due to medical reasons i am needing to have a gastrectomy done. I am hoping that i can have a partial vs a full but either way i am nervous about the process and recovery time.
Is this procedure the same as WLS? If so may i ask what type of procedure did you do and the recovery time? I have been upping my intake to gain weight before the procedure but i am hoping the surgeon allows me to have a partial vs full gastrectomy done. From reading what is involved in having a full bypass done and recovery times afterwards makes me very nervous.

Last edited by TheSatinPumpkin; 07-06-2015 at 07:16 PM.
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:50 PM   #2  
Releasing the inner hiker

A partial gastrectomy *might* be similar to vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I assume it would depend upon what they remove. As there are different WLS options, you might want to look up aftercare for VSG patients, rather than the other procedures that exist. I wish you much luck.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:57 AM   #3  
GmaTo8

I haven't heard of a partial gastrectomy. Are you maybe referring to the Sleeve gastrectomy? Regardless, I'm thinking you should sit down with your doctor so he or she can explain the procedure and the risks to you. Let us know what you decide. We care. 😊
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 273/173/150

I agree with Jane, you need to talk to your doctor, a sleeve gastrectomy isn't an easy thing to live with (believe me, I had one) you can't go in to it without all the facts. good luck!
eightiesbabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:53 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

A gastrectomy is the term they use when removing part (or full) of the stomach, it could be for WLS or other conditions.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:45 AM   #6  

I didn't know about Gastrectomy, though I work for people who are ostomates. Thanks for the information about the term gastrectomy. Joining these forum is so much useful.
RansiPlick is offline   Reply With Quote