Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/197.8/125

Height: 5'3"

Default I know I'll need a support group.

I'm a yo yo dieter for sure. Probably about 6 years ago I did atkins, and lost 60 pounds in 2 months. I slowly gained it back though when I realized I can't handle it. I'm a manic depressive amongst other thing and have been on up to 7 pills for it at once. I started one about 3-4 years ago and suddenly the weight fell off. 170 to 122 in 6 months or so. A year or so later I started to slowly gain it back, then I had to go off the medicine about a year and a half ago. For the past year and a half I haven't moved much at all. Migraines daily and not finding what was wrong for a year was torture. Depressing. And not knowing what it was I ended up on high doses of prednisone for 8 months. Sitting and eating...yeah. The migraines went away after they found out it was problem with my nasal cavity. Two weeks later I broke my wrist badly. I wasn't supposed to use it even with the cast. Then, two days before I got the cast off, I fell AGAIN and tore two ligaments in my foot and ankle. No walking now. Through all this time I've been trying to go off some of my many medications as well, so that has allowed a positive. At this point my ankle is able to do light walking and exercise and such. But I pay for it. Three weeks ago I cut one of my medicines and at that time decided that the weight had to go. My ankle will not heal with all of this extra weight. I started watching what I was eating. Exercise is still few and far between. I went from 213 to 205 in two weeks. But I felt like I needed something firmer. I mentally am a person who needs firm boundaries. I went into a clinic Monday the 22 and she suggested the hcg diet. With drops, not shots. I'm trying it, but not completely her way or the real way. She wants me under 700 calories a day, which I've kept it mostly to the 500 mark. I don't eat meals though. I snack on my allowed foods throughout the day. I get hungry, I eat. It's just I'm only eating vegetables, fruit and lean meats. I've cut empty carbs out and my calories are low. Former mt dew addict, I haven't had anything but water. I don't know if the drops really do anything. But I have set rules and I am comfortable following them. After getting used to it, I feel so much better than I previously did. It's hard though. And I need accountability. I just plan on sticking with a strict plan until I get rid of enough that exercise becomes a comfortable reality that I can do daily, and then slowly up my calorie intake sticking with the concept of the good calories and carbs. I want a lifestyle I can live with. I'm glad I found somewhere where everyone gets to try their own thing and get support on the way. Great site and hoping to have and give support.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi Cassilynn! We are a very supportive community and you can find lots of wonderful advice here! I have to warn you though: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/gene...ons-plans.html. There are so many effective plans that work. I'm not sure why you feel you must have such a strict diet plan, since those plans always fail in the end, but of course, we each must make our own decision, even if they end up being the wrong decisions. Honestly, HCG is not the answer. It's not the drops that are causing your weight loss; that's a scam. It's that you are eating only 500 calories a day, which is very unhealthy and cannot be sustained over time. Don't be surprised if your hair falls out or your depression gets worse with that extreme a plan. Does your doctor who prescribes your manic-depression meds know that you are barely nourishing your body and brain? Please consider something more reasonable and something that doesn't set you up for failure. I wish you the best!
Old 06-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 304/253/150

Height: 5'9"

Hi cassilynn! I am surprised a doctor would subscribe a diet like that. Have you seen an MD that specializes in nutrition? I know I would never lose weight eating only 700 calories a day as I could never maintain that severe a restricted diet.

I eat about 1600 - 1800 calories a day and lose about 1.5 - 2 lbs a week. Just eating healthy foods and watching portions. I also don't want to lose weight any faster than my body can handle. I want to lose it naturally and not force it.

I have been a yo-yo dieter too for years and it really didn't sink into me that dieting doesn't work until I started eating sensibly. Now I understand starving myself and going hungry will set me up for failure.

When I decided to lose the weight this time I made a completely different decision. I decided to start eating and living like the person I want to be now. So I think of myself as being "in training" for the me I am inside. I am doing this without dieting whatsoever. Just eating sensible healthy foods including daily snacks. No more cutting out any foods or doing any fad diets.

Many times I have found I needed to up my calorie intake by eating more protein or good (low-glycemic) carbs. If I have days when I am hungry I listen to my body and eat extra food. When this happens the weight starts falling off very fast. Usually the hungry periods are followed by larger weight loss as my body adjusts to my new weight.

I wish you luck and I know you will find the support you need. Lots of information here too!
Closed Thread