Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 09:25 AM   #1  
Never Quit!

Default Monday's Back...Today's Thread

Hey everyone. Monday just keeps showing up doesn't it. I wanted to start us out this morning and will be back in just a few more moments...
Old 08-11-2003, 09:34 AM   #2  
Never Quit!

Default Still icky weather in NY...

Well, Monday is here again. I am working from home and am very thankful for it. Going into the office is shear torture at my job. Everyone is disgrunteled an unhappy...not just me. So all you hear through the walls are rumor after rumor. At least when I am working from home, I can finish grocery shopping, or laundry, or just take an hour and read my book. So it definetly keeps me sane.

This Saturday was weigh-in and I am up 0.6 lbs. As you all know, I kind-of expected it with my Hubby's birthday and all the celbrations this weekend. He just turned 30 (I'm older than him) so I have teased him all week. All in all, we had fun and I am right back on program today.

This weeks Goal:
I am going to try to write out this weeks menu while I am home so that I don't have to do any thinking.
I am also going to try to pack my lunch the night before so I don't have any excuses .
Exercise 3x this week.

I am so looking forward to the weekend though (already? I know!). My Hubby and I are heading down to D.C. on Friday to visit some friends and stay with them. I really need the laughs and the road trip. So I will get through this week knowing there is a reward for me this weekend.

Ok, let me jet. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

~Cuba.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:42 AM   #3  
Running Babe

Howdy all,

My cat has gone missing. I was away Friday night at the BF's and I fed her and all before I left. I came back in the early afternoon on Saturday and fed her. She hadn't appeared(which is odd, since she usually shows up for food), my roomate said hi and then suddenly left our house.... I had previously asked my roomate if he could feed her on Sunday since I was going to Montreal for Saturday night for my dad's birthday, he said that was fine.

Anyhoo, yesterday I came back and my cat wasn't there. My roomate said that the cat had gotten out that morning and she would most likely return since she had done so the day before which was Saturday... He then left for the evening.

My other roomate told me that my cat had escaped on Friday night and that she definitely wasn't in the house on Saturday night and she hadn't seen her since she went chasing her on Friday night...

So basically one roomate is saying my cat escaped on Friday night and the other is saying Sunday... I am just so frustrated... She's not an outdoor cat and I live by a busy road. I am really worried.

I posted up a few signs before work this morning and will go to the humane ociety afterwork. I emailed them her description.

Cuba: Hey

Take care,

ali
Old 08-11-2003, 10:58 AM   #4  
Eve's Mom

Thumbs down Going to Cuba...and an auntie again!!

Hi girls! Well, b/f and I finally booked our tickets to Cuba for Oct 11-18 , which means I'll miss Carmen's first birthday, and Canadian Thanksgiving, but I can live with that...

I have some exciting news - I am going to be an auntie again! It's my sisiter that has had a lot of trouble getting pregnant. She is 5 weeks along! So we aren't officially telling anyone, but I highly doubt any of you will say something to her

Ali - your poor kittie!! I would be choked too! Waht is up with that?? Dont' worry if you don't find her at first - if she is scared or hurt she'll hide but they sometimes do find their way home. My fingers are crossed for you!

Cuba - 5 days and counting I am looking forward to teh weekend too!

Well back to work...
Old 08-11-2003, 11:07 AM   #5  
Shopper Extraordinaire

Ali~ Sorry about the cat I hope that it all turns out well.

Cuba~ Morning! .6 is no sweat with all of the partying you did

My wknd was good, even food wise I love this new plan I am trying with the whole grains and eating less more often etc. I was extremely active this wknd which is a good thing also. Wed will be a week of this plan but TOM came last night so I think I will wait another week to Weigh. Whole grains are just so filling that you don't feel hungry. I hope this actually results in weight loss. I am sending the vibes to myself

We need Jayne for the question of the day?????? Um......Well I need a new book so I will write a selfish question of the day....

WHAT IS THE BEST BOOK YOU HAVE EVER READ? OR.... A GOOD BOOK YOU HAVE READ RECENTLY????

I love anything by Anita Shreive but my favorite book of all times is probably Pride and Prejudice. I also love the Shopaholic books for a fun, easy read. They are hysterical and perfect for a vacation or weekend read!

Well I am going to go and get some work done. Have great days everyone and come out and post
Old 08-11-2003, 11:10 AM   #6  
Shopper Extraordinaire

Belle~ Congrats on the new niece. CUBA that is soooo awesome. What draws you to Cuba? Just curious?? I bet it will be amazing.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:10 PM   #7  

i am having such a bad day at work

sorry about your kitty, sweater girl. let us know when it returns!

congrats on the trip belle.

grace-i haven't read anything lately, i but them and they sit there..lol

well i made it to my 10 lbs so i am officially down a total of 40 but 10 in the 6 weeks with WW! i splurged all weekend so i am not weighing myself again til i am good for a couple days. you think that would put me in a good mood but it is really a bad day so i won't bring you all down. just hope i don't pig out!
Old 08-11-2003, 01:49 PM   #8  
Eve's Mom

Hey Becky - I havent read any really good books recently, but I am reading "Rachel's Holiday" for book club- it's OK. For Faves, I liked the Thorn Birds, Tess of the D'urbervilles and the Vampire Lestat.

You aren't the first American to ask "why Cuba"? This makes sense, as Americans can't travel to Cuba. Cuba is popular amoung Canadians, Brits and Australians. It is a resort place, just like the all-inclusives you find in Mexico - in fact, many of the same chains such as Sandals, Riu and Superclubs. You do the same things - sea kayaking, snorkelling, scuba diving, etc. Also, you can do trips to Havana, etc, as a day-trip. It's great and it's usually a bit cheaper and way less "touristy" than Mexico, but you still get the convenience of an all-inclusive resort. We are staying at a 4.5 star!! Yay!!! The flipside, is just as in Mexico, Thailand or wherever, there is extreme poverty and a huge gap btw rich and poor. I hear the best way to tip them is to give them little bottles of mouthwash, deoderant, etc. As this is difficult to acquire there.

Amber - congrats!!
Old 08-11-2003, 01:52 PM   #9  
Eve's Mom

Becky - what sort of whole grains do you eat? I'd love to hear an example of one day of food - do you still eat protien?
Old 08-11-2003, 02:33 PM   #10  
Proud Canadian

Hi guys! I'm back from Virginia - It was very humid and I sweat a lot but mostly just sat around with my sister making stuff for the triplets. I also bought myself a kitchen aid mixer as an early Birthday present (my 29th birthday is Wednesday!!) So I'm back and now I have to catch up on work but I'll still check in here this afternoon - Hi to everyone!!!
KT
Old 08-11-2003, 03:09 PM   #11  
Shopper Extraordinaire

Belle~ Cuba sounds great. Ok the mouthwash thing is a bit depressing. We are SO blessed aren't we??? Thanks for the book ideas! I still eat according to the food pyramid. Whole grains are recommended 5-6 servings/day. I haven't completely converted to whole grains but have in the areas of bread for sandwiches, pitas, pasta, cereals, crackers. I also have been attempting the 9-15 servings of fruits and veggies. I do not have it perfected but I think that it is a very well balanced approach and it goes along with the Heart Smart diet I was given for my cholesterol.

Amber~ Congrats! 10 lbs in 6 weeks that's awesome!!!!!

KT~ Sounds fun. Sister time is always wonderful isn't it?

Yikes, boss just came in my office while I was posting It was scary but I think I covered well
Old 08-11-2003, 03:10 PM   #12  
A Yankee in Virginia

Hi y'all! I survived the bridal shower! It was actually very nice and everyone got along. The potato salad I made was a hit, and I'll post the recipe in another thread. I'm exhausted, though. Took me 10 hours to drive from Virginia to Connecticut on Friday bc of the traffic. 9 1/2 hours coming back yesterday, and because I didn't leave until 3 I got home about 1 a.m. I used to be able to make that trip with no problems, but I guess I'm getting old! I'm so tired!

KT: Virginia is one big sauna right now. We're having crazy weather ... bad thunder and lightning storms almost every day, and last Thursday there was a tornado about five miles from my house. Scary.

Belle: How cool that you're going to Cuba! When I was buying travel books for Jamaica before my honeymoon, one of the books suggested taking a day trip to Cuba from Montego Bay. You're not supposed to, but I guess, as Americans, as long as you don't buy anything you can sneak it. I guess it's because of the age-old trade embargo thing, or something like that. But I really would like to visit there. If DH and I had stayed in Montego Bay, we would have definitely tried to go to Cuba. But we were in Negril, another place I'd highly recommend!

Ali: Good to see you again! I'm sorry about your kitty ... I hope you find her!

Congrats on the losses, and Cuba, don't sweat the gain. I gained .2 last week. Actually, it was .4, but the scale was wavering and I convinced the WW weigh-in woman that it was .2. Hee, hee.

Hmm, books. I read a ton. I'm finishing "Nights in Rodanthe" by Nicholas Sparks of "Message in a Bottle" fame. It's so-so. He likes sap.

"Seabiscuit" by Laura Hillenbrand is a wonderful book. If you're not into horse racing, read it anyway. I didn't read it for a long time because I wasn't into racing, but it's one of the best books I've ever read.

Some other recent faves:
~Anything by Sue Miller, esp. "While I was Gone" and "The Good Mother"
~Dive from Claussen's Pier (can't remember the author)
~Harry Potter books
~I've heard "Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd is good but I haven't picked it up, yet.
~The Jane Green books are light and entertaining ... I've read "Good in Bed" and "Bookends." I thought Bookends was a little better.
~I loved "Diary of a Mad Mom to Be," but it's probably because I have baby fever at the moment!

That's all I can think of right now!
Old 08-11-2003, 03:11 PM   #13  
A Yankee in Virginia

The recipe:

Tzatziki Potato Salad
For 6-8 servings
Bring to a boil in a large pot with enough salted cold water to cover 2 pounds red or other waxy potatoes. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, 20-25 minutes. Drain, peel if desired and cut into bite-sized pieces. (NOTE: Don't boil the potatoes until the sauce is almost done, because there's a lot of waiting time involved. A pain, but YUMMY!)

Set a very fine mesh sieve or colander lined with a coffee filter or several layers of cheesecloth over a bowl. Add 2 cups low-fat plain yogurt and let drain at room temperature for at least 2 hours or, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Meanwhile, toss 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced and 1 tsp salt together in a colander set over a bowl and let drain at room temperature for at least 1 hour or, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.

Squeeze the cucumber in a dish towel to remove as much liquid as possible, then dry completely on paper towels. Combine the yogurt and cucumber in a large bowl along with:
2 tbl extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbl finely snipped fresh dill
1 tbl minced fresh mint
1 tbl. red wine vinegar
ground black pepper to taste

Mash together 2 gloves garlic, peeled and 1/2 tsp salt until a paste is formed. Stir into the yogurt mixture. Let stand for 1 hour or refrigerate, covered for up to 24 hours. Meanwhile, place still-warm potatos in a bowl and let cool to room temperature. Add the yogurt sauce and toss gently to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate. Serve chilled, garnish with thin cucumber slices, fresh dill or fresh mint.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:53 PM   #14  
Canadian Chick

Hey girls, I came home sick from work with a stomach flu blech. Anyway thought I'd stop by while I have a minute. Eating is still going like crap. I was supposed to go to WI tonight but I'm not b/c of the flu (darn). Oh well. I can't wait for the week to be over already. Sorry I'm so bummed. I hope that you all are doing great.

Belle, one of my patients is a flight attendant & she flies to Cuba every week & she takes a huge hockey bag full of that kind of stuff every time b/c the people really need help. She says toiletires are big as well as toys & sporting equipment (used or whatever). Our friends got married there in Nov & they it rocked but if you leave the resort be prepared to spend big bucks & deal with some creeps.

Anyway I need to go lay down. Take care girls.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:12 PM   #15  
Divine Gal

Hey all. I blew my points badly yesterday but I got back to business today. Plus I was looking at some pictures and have notice the difference in my face and theway I look. I posted the pics in a different forum on the board so if ya want to look you can here:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=30468

I am so proud of how much my doublechin doesn't show anymore. YAY!!!! Missed seeing yall this weekend; hope it was a good one.

Lynnie
Closed Thread