Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #1  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Default 7 months post-RNY and struggling with food addiction

Feeling blue today. I've been struggling with something for several weeks and I've been too ashamed to reach out. Unfortunately, I found out in April that my dumps with certain sweets aren't that bad. (Dumps - or dumping - is what happens to most weight loss surgery patients if they eat foods high in sugar or carbs - symptoms can include extreme nausea, dizziness, diarrhea, sweating, and sometimes vomiting.) Unfortunately, when I eat ice cream and some other sweets, I get a little bit queasy but not that bad - not enough to deter me.) Ever since, I've been testing my "limits". I feel like such a complete idiot for even trying sweets. I'm not even 7 months out and my weight loss has completely stalled because of my addiction to sweets (specifically ice cream). I have finally come out of my denial and realized that what i used to call emotional eating is truly a food/sugar addiction.

In my WLS orientation, surgeon said that he only makes the stomach smaller...he doesn't fix the "head" issues that got many of us to obesity. I kept telling myself, right...but since I'll dump if I eat sweets, I'll be able to resist them. Unfortunately, since my dumps aren't that bad....I'm having trouble resisting.

I feel so ashamed and depressed that I'm sabotaging myself. I do not want to gain my weight back. I'm 30 lbs away from the goal weight my surgeon set for me. I need to regain control.

I just started reading a book on Food Addiction, and I'm looking into meeting times for groups like OA. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Please no judging though....seriously, I'm beating myself up and admonishing my behavior plenty. I'm such a frickin' idiot.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #2  
Releasing the inner hiker

Some folks benefit from therapy. Have you considered that?

For me, the secret is going off (and then staying off) carbs. Simple carbs set off cravings that are difficult to control.

A further benefit of limiting carbs is that the longer I go without any sugar, the more susceptible I become to dumping. Once, after going 30 days without any sugar, I ate three tootsie rolls and then had a full blown dumping attack. When I eat sugar regularly, it has hardly any effect on me.

Finally, check out some of the groups on 3FC that have daily accountability threads and/or are focused on remaining in control of their food selections. WLS is not an easy out and still requires active participation on our part in making wise food choices. Being accountable helps many, whether that is through logging your choices or admitting them to others. I've also read that folks find books such as The Beck Solution helpful.

I hope you find something that helps. Good luck!
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Diyana, I have not had WLS, but I have read your posts off and on and am aware of your situation. Since my SIL had WLS, I know what you're talking about with the dumping. You have had a temendous weight loss in these 7 months. You don't want to ruin what you've done so far. I agree with Jen that you should look into therapy. Maybe you can contact your surgeon, explain what's going on and get advice or a recommendation of a therapist from him. Good for you for realizing what's happening and trying to get a handle on it. I am rooting for you!!!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-16-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:43 PM   #4  
Creating a Healthier Me

Thanks Jen and Carol Sue. I am looking into therapy and groups like OA.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Me too.. I always said they need a band for the brain, not the stomach.
Don't be ashamed, this happens to more people than you know....and if you are an idiot so am I. (((HUGS)))) from some one who gets it.

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #6  
Creating a Healthier Me

Thanks Leenie. I'm really working on my sugar addiction and I've managed to avoid the ice cream places so far this week.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

You know, a few months back, I decided to stay away from sugar .. obvious sugars to see how I would feel. I felt so much better, my joints, my stomach issues (gas)..etc. but then I slipped and fell and went right back into my nasty habits. I am trying to get back into that habit again.. I did find out that honey and maple syrup I could tolerate because its natural, but white/brown/molasses...forget it.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

GOOD JOB on staying away this week...every day is a milestone.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:21 PM   #9  
GmaTo8

I'm having trouble with too many carbs, so I've been tracking them, along with protein, calories, and fats with LoseIt.

How's everyone else doing?
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote