Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #1  

Default A New Me

I am ready for new beginnings, and a new healthy and joyful outlook in each day. Are you?

My story. I am 57 years old, mother of 2 adult children and 3 adorable grandchildren. I have worked hard my entire life to raise my children as a single mother. Times were difficult, but we made it thru! I am very proud of both of them in so many ways.

With the stress of life, I have been overweight since my 30's. My highest weight was 265. I did get down to 180 7 years ago, but due to difficult life events, the weight came back and I was back up to 216. I maintained until breast cancer decided to enter my life. Surgery, radiation and now drug therapy that I am on for 5 years, I am now at 235.

So, I have made a decision. Sunday I lost my father and I miss him dearly. He is my hero in so many ways, and it is such a heartache knowing I can not speak with him again. But, he always wanted me healthy, as he was always if good health - even playing racquetball in his 80's. For myself and for him I am going to get my health and life back. I want to feel good, feel strong and once again have passion for life. Who wants to join me?

I am going to log daily on progress and any exercise I was able to get in that day.

Today I walked a mile. Not a big distance but it is a start.
Today I started my meal plan. So far so good! I am hungry but that's ok. I get one more snack in an hour. Oh and remember, I won't die because I my stomach is growling!
Sspell1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/265/165

Height: 5'4

Default A New Me

Hello,

I will take the challenge. Life can be something and during the last 20 years or so, I have land at my heaviest 278 and recently made up my mind that it is time to do something about it. I was shocked to find that my last post was in 08/2013 when I originally said I was going to lose weight. There so much I can say but I will keep it brief for now, and who knows, maybe a nice friendship will blossom.

Starting all over again last week and this time it's for REAL....I have lost 4 pounds in the last two weeks........WAHOO!!!

Today.....I am on my way to the park and plan on walking 3 miles. Breakfast, I missed....I know, not good. Lunch was a grilled pork chop, cabbage and green beans. Dinner will be a grilled chicken salad. I'm shooting for 120 ounces of water, so far, I have had about 70.

My greatest anxiety is having dreadful hanging skin after reaching my weight loss goal of 100lbs......

Hope you continue to have a wonderful day!
ImWeighedDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #3  

Default Hey ImWeighDown

So glad to have you on this journey with me! I know it is amazing how time goes by and you don't realize it. I hadn't been on here in a group since 2012! I had no idea 3 years few by!

I am proud of you losing 4 lbs - that is huge! Well done! No worries on the loose skin, that is something that can be dealt with later. Muscle growth will help with that. Right now I am focused on happiness. I know with my age the cosmetics will be there, but I will figure that out later. Today, one day at a time!

Sounds like you have had a great, productive day! Proud of you!!!
Old 06-12-2015, 06:44 AM   #4  

Default Day 1 down and on my way!

Day one down, and on to day two! I was a bit hungry last night, but didn't snack, nor to the middle of the night munching.

Day two meals are planned out and I'm ready.
No exercising today, am going to start with every other day right now.

Hope today is a positive one for all trying to become healthier

Old 06-12-2015, 09:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

BACK, Sspell! Great idea posting each day! Good luck on your journey!

EDITED TO ADD: I am so sorry about your loss of your father. What a wonderful tribute to him to get yourself healthy!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 06-12-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 355/see tracker/under 200

Height: 5.5

Hello Sspell1958 and

First I offer you my condolences on the loss of your Father. This is never easy and being one who lost both my parents by age 30 within 15 months of each other I know the heartache you feel.

My mother was super obese at 400 pounds and in some ways I do what I do for her. But really, I do it for me because I refuse to suffer her fate. I know that both my parents are with me. They want me to be healthy and live a long and lasting life of health and well being that for some reason I couldn't grasp the ideal of while they were here. Your father wanted the same for you in live and now in the after and there is no better time to start. I find it inspiring you've used a time of grief to motivate yourself to better yourself to health. If you can do this, you can do anything.

You're right that you have a long process ahead of you but keep in mind that the more you put into it the more you will get out of it. My 40th birthday was coming this year and in January I put every bit of energy into this process I could and in 5 months i've lost 62 pounds. I exercise everyday I can and though my eating isn't always perfect I am am doing what I can always keep perfect which is always getting to the gym and keeping myself moving.

Keep yourself humble, ask for help and we will be here along the way. *great big hugs*
JenDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #7  

Thank you so much Jacqui D and JenDestiny for your words of empathy and inspiration. I appreciate you taking the time to write.

Today has been good thus far. I spent the day with my mother, who under the circumstances is doing well. They were together 70 years and are a true love story. She misses my Dad and there is an emptiness, but she is very strong and taking it one day at a time. She will be 90 in September. Amazing!

Today so far I have been on track and even the trip to Orlando to see my mom I took food with me and stuck to my plans for the day. So far so good!

Thank you again for posting.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #8  

Two days down and 6lbs. Rather shocking, however I was binge eating the week prior due to my fathers death. So I know it is a lot of water weight right now. I am very proud of myself, because I have been so hungry at night, but have not given in. This is the hardest time of day for me when the day is ending, stress, boredom, or being comatose watching TV tends to make me eat, and eat, and eat.

Today I will hold strong and plan on taking an exercise walk in the am.

Have a great day and stay healthy!
Old 06-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #9  

Default Today will be a rough one

Sorry I missed yesterday. I have to make this a priority as I know having a wonderful support system is important but must do my part.

First, Sspell, please forgive me! I was so excited to meet someone I could journey with that I missed the part about your father. I am so sorry for your lost. I truly understand what you're going through, as today is the 1 year anniversary of my mother passing suddenly last year at age 65. I will be praying for your strength, peace, and comfort. Also, for your mother; 90, WOW! I thought your dad playing racquetball at 80 was something but 90 years young, Now that's awesome!

Next, I am proud of you because you are staying on track in the midst of adversity. Awesome! Try to remain focused. I am proud of you.

Hello Jacqui D and Jen.....I welcome any and all critiques and encouragement. You've been on this journey and have made headway so keep a sister in check on this thing.

Okay, today, I'm sick.....my nose is stopped up and throat is on fire. Last weekend I was terrible exceeding 2500 calories each day and eating everything I shouldn't have: fried chicken, milkshakes, candy, Italian.....and none of it is good for my acid reflux.....so I thought I had caused it to flare up when my throat was irritated this past week, however, starting yesterday..I the runny nose with the yucky yellow mucous......so trying to get in to see doctor today!

Sorry for such long post.....guess that is what happens when you miss a day.. But I have noticed something (I think) when I eat meat, I seem to not go to the bathroom and my weight loss slows. For instance, I didn't eat a lot of meat Mon-Wed trying to recover from the weekend. By Thursday I was back down to 260.4 so I had a grilled pork chop with vegetables for lunch, and a grilled chicken salad for dinner. Friday morning I was down to 259 and ecstatic....Yesterday I had Salmon and veggies for lunch and a grilled chicken salad for dinner. This morning back up to 260.4 and I haven't gone to the bathroom since Wednesday. Any insight???

Hope everyone has a Wonderful Day!
Old 06-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #10  

Hi ImWeighDown

Thank you for your condolences. Each day is getting better and yes, so blessed that I have had mom and dad with me for so many years. I am sorry for your mother's passing at such a young age. That had to be so hard. xoxox

I have found to be regular requires a daily intake of fiber, whole grains, vegetables, salads. etc.. I am not a big meat eater, and I do agree it can 'slow' you down. I found with my breast cancer and many studies, that meat is something I should not include in my diet. So I am a organic chicken, turkey and fish gal.

That is wonderful that you lost weight!! Congratulations!!! I binged badly too prior to 2 days ago. From losing my Dad I didn't care and ate anything and everything. Hence weight gain from fats and sodium. I am sure that is why I have lost so much in a few days - sodium and low fats.

Possibly watch your sodium intake, and more greens and whole grains should help you to be regular.

Good to hear from you!!!
Old 06-13-2015, 06:34 PM   #11  

Ok today was good. I stayed on task and didn't give in to temptation or hunger! Yes! Proud of my self.

Exercise, none today.
Foods right on target. One more snack at 7:30 and that's it for today.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:21 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 355/see tracker/under 200

Height: 5.5

hi Sspell, just checked in and so glad to see you're doing good. These first days will be the hardest but if you stick with it you will do great. If you slip, it's ok, just get back up quickly and start all over. Just don't beat yourself up. But it sounds like you're determined and doing fab! Yippie! So proud of ya!
JenDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #13  

Good Morning Everyone

Yesterday was not too bad.......I was in bed most of the day from the sinus infection after going to the doctor and getting meds

Total Calorie intake 1143
Exercise 20 minutes on recumbent bike
Weight this morning 259.4
Today's Goals - drink 120 oz of water & stay under 1500 calories

Keep up the good work Sspell!!! Thanks for the advice and encouragement. BTW do you think it is bad to weigh every day?
Old 06-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #14  

Thank you JenDestiny. I appreciate you so much stopping in and offering words of encouragement! Your right the first few days were the most difficult, now just tackling managing stress from work. I go back tomorrow, and need to be careful that I don't let the stress of the work day catch up with me at night when all slows down. This has been an issue for years, so I just need to be mindful of that!! Thanks again!
Old 06-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #15  

ImWeighedDown, I am so glad you are on the mend! I am also very impressed with what a great day you had yesterday even when not well! That say a lot for your perseverance!! Well done! I hope your all well by tomorrow. Have an awesome, healthy and active day!