Old 06-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/226/160

Height: 5'1

Default Done with the quick fixes?

I'm usually looking for a quick fix for weight loss. I've done Atkins and lost 20 pounds only to gain back 30. I've done South Beach and lost 15 pounds only to gain back 30 (again). I've done Insanity the workout, and dropped out 2 weeks into the 90 days.

So this time, I simply decided to STOP. I stated analyzing myself (why I eat? What am I getting out of being overweight? Why do I quit things so easy? How are the people around me affecting me? When do I get stressed? What are my triggers? How I shop for food? Why am I not happy?) things like that BEFORE I dove into yet another "diet".

I stripped apart my workouts by asking questions like: What do I like to do? What do I consider a good workout? What can I stick to doing without dreading everyday?

I've cut some people out of my life, started going to bed at a normal time. Put my fork down when I'm full, eat when I'm hungry and stopped putting myself in situations that would cause me to fail. Turned off my phone at times. I keep a diary and I see a therapist. I even watch "my 600 pound life" for motivation! I bike, walk, dance, swim- whatever I feel like doing THAT day for exercise..

Well, all that started May 11, 2015 and 13 pounds (lost) later I can say I'm still sticking with it. It was a SLOW loss but a solid one.

Long story short: I cant stop overeating until I find out WHY I overeat. I cant enjoy exercising if I hate what I'm doing.

Thanks for reading my vent!!

Last edited by Tiffrutherf; 06-06-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Tiffrutherf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:50 AM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Looks like you are on the right track! Good for you!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #3  

I hope so!! It feels right!!
Old 06-07-2015, 07:45 AM   #4  

I'll keep my thread up even if its just for my viewing, it's ok . Yesterday I talked about my childhood, I wont bore people with all the details but I got to deal with stuff I have never dealt with before. Lots of tears and tissue but I leaned a lot.
Later that day, I got a disturbing text from a family member trying to start drama. Normally this would send me straight to food, but I did just the opposite, I hit the elliptical for 40 mins. Then we took the kids to play tennis (I did not want to move but I said: I have to be an example). After that we went for a ride, now usually when we do this we end up at McDonald's or some other fast food place, however we have been fast food free for 26 days (with the exception of Subway). So, I said "We can go for a ride and we can each have a small snack, no fast food". It went well.

Later we had Pizza, I ate till I was full, and sipped water for the rest of the night. My husband let me talk about my issues and he asked questions. This was very helpful! I went to bed feeling amazing.

Up date: weighed in 2 pounds down!!!

Last edited by Tiffrutherf; 06-07-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Congrats to you! Sounds like you are absolutely on the right track. I too have gotten sucked into that "wouldn't you like to lose 20 lbs in 20 days" or whatever nonsense they are peddling. I always knew following a plan wouldn't be easy but when it became a matter of doing things I absolutely hated I knew it was time to rethink things. Good luck to you balancing it all and meeting your goals!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #6  

Thank you so much!! I trying my best to remember that it took me time to gain, its going to take time to lose.

Its just so easy to want it "now", but I think, if I took all these years I spent on fad diets and just did it right, I would have been at my goal!

How many times do I have to fail to get it does not work for ME (I have seen it work for others, so I'm not knocking them, but for me not so much!)
Old 06-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #7  

So 15 pounds down feels awesome! And talking with a therapist, I must say works (for me). I have not turned to food during my time of crises, instead I turned to my husband or journal. I have stayed off of my phone and I don't get involved in other peoples drama. I am remaking myself, spending time with myself and guess what? I am interesting.

I am also feeding my children better and I make sure they do something active EVERYDAY. I understand now that they are prone to being overweight. Both of their parents (my ex-husband) and I are over weight (Grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins). He (my ex) is well into the 300's and encourages them to eat when he has them. That's how he shows he loves them by giving them cookies, pop tarts, McDonalds. Trust me I can't be upset with him because I've done it too, not only with my kids but myself. Anyways, after a small talk, he has started changing this behavior (he has them once every 2 weeks so not too much damage is done).
I remember as child my Mom would go on diets, workout (It was the 80's)but let us kids eat junk, well, I'm breaking that cycle, my kids will eat healthy! I don't want my daughters and son to have this struggle as adults. I wish someone would have passed the importance of healthy eating, portion sizes and exercises on to me (but not get crazy with it).

On to today: I did an Insanity DVD just for a change and then did 30 mins on my elliptical. (as a side note: I'm starting to notice when I don't work out it bothers me. LOL, I never thought I would get to that point). When the kids get home today were going to be in the pool..

I can feel my body changing..it feels a-mazing!!

Thanks for reading

Last edited by Tiffrutherf; 06-09-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #8  

You are doing a great job! Your children may not thank you for the healthy food choices now, but they will when they are grown and don't have to struggle with their weight. Your approach is what we all should be doing.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:31 PM   #9  

thank you QuilterInVA !
Yes I'm still here!
As I promised I would keep the post going (30 days) good, bad and the ugly.
Well the "ugly" hit last weekend.

This was the weekend my kids got to spend with their Dad, they were spending the night, something thats only happened once before so I was already on edge. My Husband had to work that day, so from 2pm till he got home from work at 12am I was alone.

My mind began to wonder after I dropped the kids off. See, here is the thing I learned in therapy: Some of us are addicted to drama. Oh, we might say we want to be drama free, we want peace, but for me, drama is my "normal". Its been in my life so long I feel off when there is none.

So there I was, no kids to distract me and I was missing my "fixes" food and drama. So I headed to Burger king. I figured I owed this to myself. I haven't had fast food in a month and a half. Who would know? So I put in my order one Double cheese burger, small fry and a diet coke. I was excited when I ordered it. I pulled up to the window, I was so happy, I could smell the food. Heaven. I paid, got my food I was in a daze as I began to devourer it. I cant tell you what it taste like because I wolfed it down so quick.
After that I felt so bad. So I got on the phone, called someone I knew I could argue with. They wouldn't answer, so I called back. I text. I called. Finally they answered. Sure enough a argument started.
That went on for 2 hours. Then I drove to Taco Bell. I ordered a 5 layer burrito. Ate it, again in a daze. I missed my kids so I called, faught with their Dad over a toy that was missing. By that time it was time for my Husband to come home. I asked him to get me McDonalds (yes like a drug addict) I got angry when he said "no", so angry he gave up and got it. I Ate It in a daze barely spoke to him and didn't even realize he had gone to bed until I was done and looked around.

The next day I did not work out. The day after that, I gave up.

The day after that I realized "ok you have fallen, but you got to get up, the longer you stay down the more you gain back". But, first I needed to ask for help. I told my Husband and God (no need to talk about my religion so I wont get into that) that I needed help. I cried. Saw my therapist, I wrote in my diary and cried some more.

I had to deal with the "anatomy" of why I failed so hard that day, the truth was raw and ugly.

After more talking and crying I got up from my bed and got my a$$ on the elliptical, just 5 mins. I told myself. I did 60. I have worked out every day since and this week when my kids went to their Dad's for the day and I was alone, I put all the "tools" I was given to use. I called no one. I made a dinner for myself in advice. I worked out extra hard earlier which made me not want to fail later. I occupied my mind with cleaning, organizing and a Facts of Life marathon.

I am proud to say I did not gain any weight and my body is changing! I've even set goals, like working on running a half mile and the local track.

So yeah, I'm still here and still going strong!

Last edited by Tiffrutherf; 06-21-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:36 PM   #10  
Less of a Better Me

Great job! So much of weight loss is learning how to get back on track after getting off track.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:44 PM   #11  

Stepped on the scale today 2 pounds down!! Woot Woo!! That's 17 pounds!
I'm going to be in the pool all day with my husband and kids, I also mowed the lawn. Its what a call an active "off" day.

Last edited by Tiffrutherf; 06-23-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #12  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffrutherf View Post
I'm usually looking for a quick fix for weight loss. I've done Atkins and lost 20 pounds only to gain back 30. I've done South Beach and lost 15 pounds only to gain back 30 (again). I've done Insanity the workout, and dropped out 2 weeks into the 90 days.

So this time, I simply decided to STOP. I stated analyzing myself (why I eat? What am I getting out of being overweight? Why do I quit things so easy? How are the people around me affecting me? When do I get stressed? What are my triggers? How I shop for food? Why am I not happy?) things like that BEFORE I dove into yet another "diet".

I stripped apart my workouts by asking questions like: What do I like to do? What do I consider a good workout? What can I stick to doing without dreading everyday?

I've cut some people out of my life, started going to bed at a normal time. Put my fork down when I'm full, eat when I'm hungry and stopped putting myself in situations that would cause me to fail. Turned off my phone at times. I keep a diary and I see a therapist. I even watch "my 600 pound life" for motivation! I bike, walk, dance, swim- whatever I feel like doing THAT day for exercise..

Well, all that started May 11, 2015 and 13 pounds (lost) later I can say I'm still sticking with it. It was a SLOW loss but a solid one.

Long story short: I cant stop overeating until I find out WHY I overeat. I cant enjoy exercising if I hate what I'm doing.

Thanks for reading my vent!!
Wow, congratulations - you're really taking the bull by the horns! Reminds me of my new approach, which has resulted in a 35 pound weight loss so far. I call it the "Scientific Method (ScMD) Diet," and it's taken three years. But I haven't put any back on, and am, thank God, still having slow but steady success.

I know you can do it, because you're soberly looking at the facts, and figuring out what works and what doesn't - you will have ultimate success!
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #13  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
You are doing a great job! Your children may not thank you for the healthy food choices now, but they will when they are grown and don't have to struggle with their weight. Your approach is what we all should be doing.
Thank you for this - it reminds me that I should thank my Mom for going on a "health food craze" when we were kids, that taught us the importance of eating as close to nature as possible. Because of her vigilance, we know how to stay healthy, for the most part, because what one eats - and what one avoids, food/drink-wise - make a big difference in how often one gets sick, and how consistently we stay well. Hugs, Mom!
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:14 AM   #14  

HungerWorks- Thank you, I always thought weight loss was about the calories and exercise, honestly I would have never thought to dive into the phycology of it. Its so funny, we feel like drug addicts need therapy, why don't food addicts? I think we need more because need our "Drug" to live so we have to "use" it!!
Thank you so much for your support and congratulation on your continued weight loss!! 35 pounds!!! Woot woo!!

I've never heard of the "Scientific Method (ScMD) Diet," what's that about?
Old 06-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #15  

So I'm down to 214!! Yes!! I'm keeping with my workouts, my workout are things that I enjoy. For example yesterday I threw on my headphones and danced my *** off for 30 min. I eat when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not.
I looked my diary today and I wrote ON 5-24-15 "I would do anything to get out of the 220's, why do I sabotage myself every time I get close? I'm 224 I've been stuck at this weight for over 2 years".
Now I'm 10 pounds down from that!
I WILL KEEP GOING! S-L-0-W-L-Y...

Last edited by Tiffrutherf; 06-27-2015 at 09:46 AM.