Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-30-2015, 04:21 PM   #1  
Homeschool Consultant

S/C/G: 335/273/150

Height: 5' 6"

Talking Oldie but a Goodie

My name is Sandra, age 50. I was a yo-yo dieter most of my life but it wasn't until after I had a meniscus tear a few years ago in my left knee that I realized that I needed to do something. I struggled to lose weight but I am finding success by doing daily exercises along with tracking my food intake.

In recent years, my health declined and I had my suspicions but butted heads with my doctor to get a definite diagnosis. In July of 2014, it was confirmed that I have Celiac disease. Since then I have remained gluten free and feel so much better now. I have more energy, less joint pain and no more stomach issues. I have given up diet sodas and fast food (partly due to the fact that there are not many restaurants that have gluten free food in our area).

I am happily married to my husband (16 + years) and we are raising our two sons, ages 8 and 14 (we lost a daughter in 2008). We originally were living in Virginia Beach, VA but moved back to Texas to be closer to my parents. My Dad, age 83 has Alzheimer's and is currently in stage 6 so we want to be near him as much as possible. What's difficult is that my father doesn't remember who I am, but I tell myself what is important is that I know he is my Dad and that I love him.

I look forward to making friends here and posting on the boards.

Last edited by blue_meets_green; 05-30-2015 at 05:14 PM.
blue_meets_green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Sandra! I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter and your Dad's illness. I just can't imagine what you must be going through. God bless you! I'm glad you are taking positive steps for your health. You'll find lots of support here! Take a look around and jump right in! Some threads are more active than others, but you'll figure that out. Good luck!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #3  
Homeschool Consultant

Talking

Thanks Jacqui for the warm welcome.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 2"

Hi Sandra,

Your hurt feelings about your Dad and Alzheimer's Disease I fully understand. I lost Mom that way and my sister, too.

Sometimes people think that the one with Alzheimer's don't realize what is going on may not always be true. Mom (I took care of her) died and my sister and I were both concerned that we would also get it, and she did. She was in a University study so she had some good support and was encouraged to talk about it, especially with me and her sons.

She told me she was aware sometimes more than others recognized and felt neglected when ignored. I learned to make sure I talked with her as if she understood and that I understood her, too. She would smile and relax, even if she didn't remember my name.

Welcome, and may you survive this rough journey.
love2garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #5  
Homeschool Consultant

Thank you for your insight.
I enjoy spending time with my Dad and talk with him regularly. I don't want him to feel ignored and try when we visit him to engage in conversation with him.

My younger brother and his wife are living with my parents and they are his care givers. This was a better option for us all. It continues to give my Mom and Dad independence that they are enjoying in their lives together.