Old 05-30-2015, 01:12 PM   #1  
Jenny

S/C/G: 195/187/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Question about IP snack foods...

How do you incorporate bars, puffs, chips (snack type foods) into the diet plan? Does it replace a shake, the protein source, or do people eat them in addition to the Phase 1 stage?

I'm new to this, and in Phase 1. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also need snack ideas to take to a baseball game, so I'm not tempted to eat ballpark food!!!! I'm scared!
jennyandaarons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Almost all the IP packets can be used interchangeably in Phase 1, but it's a smart move to use 'food' type packets for your mealtimes, and snack sort of packets for snacktimes. If you just use drinks, bars, or chips what sort of habits are you learning for maintenance? Who wants to get their bodies used to snack type foods and expecting those kinds of flavours when you start to use real foods in P3/4? Unless of course you have allergies or sensitivities to certain ingredients (ie: I have to be gluten free so most of the 'meal' type packets were out for me and I could only use a couple of the soups, the potato puree, and the omelettes in addition to the puddings and drinks - and that was it).
I take it you aren't at a clinic or using a coach or they should have told you this.
Of course, if you only can handle certain products you can still be successful, but you will be bored very easily especially if you have a fair bit to lose.
Liana

Last edited by canadjineh; 05-30-2015 at 02:15 PM.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #3  
Started IP 03/06/2013

S/C/G: 198.8/145/145

Height: 5'8"

The snack foods aren't really "in addition" to the Phase 1 stage, they are an integral part of the Phase 1 stage. In Phase 1, you can have 2 unrestricted and 1 restricted packets per day (some have one more packet if starting at a higher weight). Some snack type foods are unrestricted but most are restricted. So for me, a typical day would be like this: For breakfast I have IP crispy cereal (unrestricted). For lunch I have my veggies and quite often IP ready made pudding or if I'm at home and not at work, I'll cook up an IP soup packet. I have my Phase 1 snack usually in the afternoon and I'll have either IP crisps (S&V or bar-b-cue) which are unrestricted, or an IP bar (cookie dough, caramel nut, etc.) which are restricted. Then supper is my 8oz protein and veggies. I hope this is helpful!
WillowVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #4  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyandaarons View Post
How do you incorporate bars, puffs, chips (snack type foods) into the diet plan? Does it replace a shake, the protein source, or do people eat them in addition to the Phase 1 stage?

I'm new to this, and in Phase 1. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also need snack ideas to take to a baseball game, so I'm not tempted to eat ballpark food!!!! I'm scared!

Liana and Willowvee are right on regarding use of the IP packets and bars and puffs -- one of your 3 daily IP compliant packets or items will generally be used for a snack ( l like having mine after dinner but many IPeeps have their snack in the afternoon between lunch and dinner).

And for any other snack times, like at the ballgame - celery sticks, cucumber slices, and any other of the unlimited veggie items will make good snack items.
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #5  

Jenny everything the others said above is true.

As far as your outing - When I was in P1 and had to go to an outdoor type thing and eat a meal, I made a sandwich size plastic baggie of romaine lettuce, a baggie of cut veggies (for me a pickle or two and cut cukes & red/yellow peppers) and a bag of the chips. They travelled well, didn’t require shaking or heating or water, and the chips aren’t restricted. If I would be there long enough to also need a snack, I took a bar as my restricted. All of it was lightweight and easy to travel without needing a cooler, and also when I was done with it I didn’t have to worry about dragging around tupperware. I just took a purse that was big enough to stick that stuff in. For drinks I took a few mangosteens and poured them in a water bottle or iced water and that was tasty and good potassium if I was out in the sun.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 05-30-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote