Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-28-2015, 03:31 PM   #1  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

Default Trainer wants my husband to work out until he pukes

Hey, I have a question. My husband is training to be a cop. He paid for training sessions in the beginning a year or so ago so he knew the basics and how to use the equipment, etc. Recently, he's decided to pay for a few training sessions again to access where he's at and to specifically help him with his running and teach him how to train for that, etc. The thing is, the trainer wants him to work out until he feels like puking and says vomiting after working out I'd normal. Is it??? It just sounds so unhealthy to me. I know he's the trainer and its his job, but it makes me wary.

Does anyone know if this is normal and healthy for my husband, just a temporary set back that comes with his chosen vocation he has to get through and it will fade over time, or is it actually ridiculous advice?
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:08 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Maybe your trainer is one that gets easily nauseous - who knows, but it's not necessary, but can be common for some people. I've worked out really, really hard, but never to the point of wanting to vomit!

THAT, and exercise is supposed to be about healthy lifestyle. Unless your husband is planning on just getting fit for a one time test and then being a fat, lazy slob, I think it best to find exercise and fitness that is maintainable. WHO would keep exercising at such an intensity that they want to throw up or do throw up after each training? That seems insane.

Here's this article too: http://www.livestrong.com/article/48...uous-exercise/
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #3  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

We are pursuing a healthy life style change. He'll need to be fit for his career, not just to pass the physical exam. I hadn't even thought about it that way... Thank you!

That article was really informative! Didn't realize the nausea was more of a dehydration thing than that. He works out regualrly and drinks lots of water while he exercises, and vomiting had never been a problem. Its just the trainer is using it as a measure... He wants him to go until that happens.

Last edited by SenseAndSensibility; 05-28-2015 at 04:27 PM.
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #4  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Wow. No. Absolutely not. Does this trainer have any sort of certification?

I totally understand a trainer pushing you beyond where you think your limits are, but that shouldn't be to the point of vomiting (on purpose), nor can I imagine that is "healthy." It happens sometimes. It sucks. But its avoidable and you can still get a strenuous workout without doing so.

Ugh, I'd have a chat with his boss and find a new trainer!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think the "trainer" has been watching too much "reality" television such as The Biggest Loser.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Good heavens!

One of the fittest men on the planet is Rich Roll who wrote the book 'Finding Ultra' your library should have it, and I suggest you buy it at once for your husband. Right after finding him a new trainer!

Rich used to swim and trained for the Olympics, then he started drinking and dropped out of swimming. 10 years later, fat and unfit, he gets off the couch and doesn't just aim for an ironman, he goes straight for Ultraman!

As a swimmer he used to train to the vomiting point, but he discovered when training for Ultraman just how far that approach was getting him! And it wasn't far, he DNFed a half ironman. Then a new trainer got him a heart monitor and had him train in zone 2, keeping his heart rate down. He had to let other joggers pass him on the trail and it didn't make him happy! As he worked though he got fitter and fitter and the results showed it. Now one of the fittest men on the planet, he trains without getting to the vomiting point. I won't tell you the rest of the story, it is an honest and informative read with a lot of information about training. And a darn good read about a man who turned his life around...no worries about 'set points' there!

Auto

Last edited by autodidact; 05-31-2015 at 02:57 PM.
autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #7  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I thought of this thread on Saturday when I threw up while running. At which point I stopped running and walked home :P No thanks!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:32 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

This is wrong, it happens sometimes but it's not part of a good work out by any means. That's like telling someone it's ok to eat a lot of food and then throw it up. Seriously, I would report that guy.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 248?/173/130

Height: 5'8"

IMO, when your body is rebelling like that, you need to listen. You shouldn't push yourself until your body is forcing you to stop. That's not ideal for health.

I'd get a new trainer...or just do it myself.
Stripes 237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #10  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

If you're paying this person, say no. It's that easy.
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:49 PM   #11  
Yes.

Definitely not, I'd say that's a bit too intense of a workout. Puking after every workout is simply not sustainable or healthy for you.
Forseir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:14 PM   #12  
Restarted IP 12 July 2015

S/C/G: S/C/G: 250/239.2/130

Height: 5'7" 23-y-o

FWIW, that sounds pretty normal to me. In high school I was a swimmer in a "national training group" (11 practices per week, 8-12 thousand yards per practice). Once or twice a week the coach would put out the barf buckets which meant we were about to have a very hard sprint set. It was sort of a right of passage the first time you used the bucket. Most didn't barf every single time the buckets were out. I did about once a month. So in my experience, barfing every workout is not ok, but getting to that point is definitely not a bad thing.
LizziBea is offline   Reply With Quote