Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 06:39 AM   #1  
they/them

S/C/G: 214/144/115

Height: 5'3.5

Exclamation I got put on a hypoglycemic diet by my doctor? (please help)

I went to the doctor a few days ago and they did more tests and they put me on a hypoglycemic diet. (I've been vegan for ~3 years if it helps)

I don't know the details about this because I didn't hear the results firsthand, but my mother told me that I was really deficient in all amino acids and vitamins and well, everything. I don't know how much she's over exaggerating or if it's just her trying to feel important or something because I'm sick, but she said that if I don't do what I'm told my organs will fail or be digested or are in the process of that, I really don't know!

Anyways, I'm being put on this for psychological reasons as well which is kinda.... not so good IMO, I'm getting therapy soon but people are also telling me that my hallucinations / dissociation / suicidal ideation / self harm / paranoia / delusions, ALL this is coming from the "toxins my body is making from years of starvation mode going to my brain." It feels like feel-good lies to force me eat more so I'll be fatter and finally off myself, to me?

I don't know... does that at all sound reasonable to you, or is it just me? I'm not exactly believing what I'm hearing because I've dieted since I was 12 at this same level and now 6 years later it's a problem allegedly.

(I'm now taking a million supplements and drinking this pea protein thing to get all amino acids)

I'm "supposed" to be eating 1000+ calories a day now but honestly I'm not exactly compliant in all because I don't quite believe what I'm being told I'm still recovering from thyroiditis too so who even knows anymore

Last edited by carmel_whitworth; 05-22-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I was told much the same things at about your same age, and didn't listen. Now I'm permanently disabled for a multitude of health problems because of it.

I didn't have hallucinations or paranoia, but did have severe mood swings, depression, and suicidal thoughts, and all sorts of illnesses.

Like you, the problems didn't start showing up until my late teens, and the REALLY nasty health problems didn't show up until my late 30's (almost ten years after I have up crash dieting, but not soon enough).

Even though I gave up restrictive diets and started eating better in my late 20's, the changes were too late to reverse all of the damage I'd already done to my body.

Poor nutrition, especially before 18, is extremely damaging to your brain and body. I wish I had learned and believed that earlier than I did.

An 1800 calorie hypoglycemic diet (which I don't always follow because bad habits are hard to break) when I do follow it, helps tremendously with my physical and emotional health. Some of the damage I've done is irreversible, though like the damage I've done to my joints.

With time, eating better could reverse my diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney stone issues, and prevent further joint damage, but my doctors can't tell me whether or not it can stop the autoimmune diseases or repair/strengthen my immune system.

I'd hate to see you end up like me.

But if you won't listen to your doctors, why would you listen to me or anyone here?

If you don't think you can trust your mother, call your doctor's office and ask that diet recommendations be sent to you, in writing.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-22-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #3  
Earning back my muscles

S/C/G: 184/184/size 8

Height: 5'5

You're 18? even if you were a minor, ask to get a copy of your blood work and if you feel like you need it, for soneone to explain the results to you.

I can however, assure you that the likelihood that your mom and Drs and nurses want to get you fatter so you kill yourself is extremely unlikely to impossible

I'm very sorry that you're sick and I hope you're feeling better soon. Lack of nutrients can make your mind think funny thoughts. Your body needs calories to be healthy and function. Give it a try for a few months and I bet you'll feel better
Old 05-24-2015, 09:10 AM   #4  
they/them

S/C/G: 214/144/115

Height: 5'3.5

Late response, I don't really know.

I'm eating ~900 calories a day now and getting 50 grams of protein.

I'm still taking the supplements and stuff so maybe it'll help. I've been doing it for 6 days and feeling worse each day. I felt like someone was pulling a rope out of my brain and that my eyes were in a fixed position while the rest of me was going diagonally left and right and upwards, and honestly it hasn't exactly stopped.

I have to call mental health people for the first time on Tuesday so it's just like :/ I wonder if it's dietary or if I just lost it
Old 05-25-2015, 06:47 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Often when you are recovering from an eating disorder, your body is also recovering. The only way to fully recover is eat. You will experience initial weight gain, and that is ok. I encourage you to seek out mental health professionals. I'd also encourage you to look at blogs of those who have recovered from eating disorders. GoKaleo is one of my favorite people and has a lot of information on her blog.

I would also ask the doctor you are working with on your eating disorder if there are any local support groups in your area. In the US, this site lists support groups
http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.o...search-studies
Anand is another resource
http://www.anad.org/eating-disorders...upport-groups/

I am going to close this thread because we can't offer medical advice but you need to work with your doctor.
Closed Thread