Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 317/170/157

Height: 5'6"

Default Not feeling support in my home

I don't mean to sound whiney and hopefully I can chalk this up to being an emotional wreck since cutting my caloric intake but I am feeling a lot of resentment towards my boyfriend that 2 days in a row asked if we could have pizza for dinner. He is the guy that wants to gain weight while I am the girl who has been overweight her whole life. I LOVE PIZZA. I only started my caloric drop 5 weeks ago so its safe to say that the cravings are still very real. I do so much planning with meal planning and scheduling workouts to not have to think about the cravings. Yesterday I basically said "I was about to start cooking dinner" and he was so tired that he dealt with it and I was like, "phewwww." Tonight just as I was about to put my chicken and veg on the grill he asks again about pizza. I said, "YOU can have pizza." I guess Im more than annoyed and saddened because I usually leave him little notes in his lunch bag and the one today mentioned that I am really glad he didn't order pizza last night bc every day is a struggle. Now Im sitting here fighting back tears because I really want some effing pizza and the anxiety of when the delivery guy will show up in about 20-30 minutes is driving me insane. I don't want chicken and veg. Im sure it will be great but I want pepperoni effing pizza. I'm sorry that I am being a whiney brat, but I am just not feeling the support I wish I had at this beginning stage considering he has a lot to do with what made me start this journey. Feeling sorry for myself
kiwi1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #2  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

it's okay to vent here!! I'm so sorry this is a sucky problem. Myself, I also think it isn't fair when a partner/spouse/S.O. just doesn't seem to care that their partner is struggling, and they go ahead and have what they want. Because it's so hard to have that certain food right in the same house when you've shopped/planned/prepared to keep it out.

Others will say that we have no right to tell a loved one what not to eat. That we will have to deal with this out in the world all the time.

but I have complete sympathy for you

so has the delivery come yet? I say eat your chicken and veg and drink lots of water and be totally filled to the tip-top so the pizza won't be quite as tempting.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #3  
Human

S/C/G: 275.2/271.2/150

Height: 5'2"

Ok, I eat pizza. I just work it into my calories.
CatRN78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #4  

Holly it does suck and I have no right to tell him what he should or shouldn't eat. I am pretty sure most people on this site have dealt with this situation of just being very vulnerable in the beginning. The cravings are there, but I plan so hard to avoid them. The delivery guy hasn't arrived yet thank God, but my chicken and veg is off the grill so when he does arrive, I am just going to have to be on a different floor of the house.....and shut the door bc it will smell so yummy. CatRN, I am not against pizza, but the problem is that it was not worked into my calories for the day. If I want pizza, I am going to plan what the rest of my meals will be or exercise so I can indulge. Today I planned for moderate meals so pizza does not fit into the equation for tonight....although i wish it did.

Last edited by kiwi1222; 05-20-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #5  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

I'm wondering if the pizza isn't so much about the food with him, but a spontaneous bonding thing. He could have went and had pizza at any point during the day..Seems like he wanted to having it with you. I'm not saying you should eat it, but and I get the whole temptation thing, but did you guys usuall bond while eating or something?
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:28 PM   #6  
Warrior Princess

I occasionally eat pizza still but I don't go crazy with it anymore.

I agree you can't tell him what to eat BUT I'd politely ask to please not order it until you feel some control. You can compare it to quitting smoking. If you're trying to quit it would be impossible if your SO is lighting up in front of you. If he wants pizza he can go out and grab a slice or two but ask him to entertain the idea of eating healthier with you. Besides, if he really wants to gain weight tell him pizza isn't the right way to do it.

BTW, I ate really bad tonight and am sitting here with so much remorse. Don't do it.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #7  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

5 minutes of bad food = Days and days of work to undo the damages.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:25 PM   #8  
Earning back my muscles

S/C/G: 184/184/size 8

Height: 5'5

I dont know if this is accurate, but it seems as if it feels he is disrespecting you by doing this and he doesn't even realize it. It's no big deal to him. He's carrying on as normal. You'd think the note you left would be as direct as sweet as one could be, but it sounds like you need to sit down and spell it out even more how hard this is and what it felt like. I honestly don't know what kind of relationship you have together, or how long you've been together, but if he doesn't climb on board quickly to at least try and be mindful of your struggle, I could completely understand how this could become a bigger issue. And not to mention, the leftovers!

On another note, I hope you were able to resist. It sound like you were. To another day!

Last edited by HIheart; 05-20-2015 at 10:26 PM.
HIheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:48 AM   #9  

To answer all the questions, we don't bond over food. He actually doesn't enjoy eating at all(even foods he really likes). I think he has a sensory issue with that. Sorry for your bad food remorse. I know how that goes so I didn't want to get that. My body is not that of letting me eat something like "just a slice of pizza" and it being okay. My body hates me and I need to eat only super nutrient rich food or I balloon up. So bye bye to yummy cheese and pepperoni and lots of bread...lol. We've been together for almost 10 yrs and have had our share of issues. at the time of the pizza ordering it seemed disrespectful but I think he just doesn't get it. I had a minor mental breakdown after my original post last night and I told him why I was crying and I think he got it finally....especially when I stormed upstairs and when he asked me why, I told him that I didn't want to be around when the pizza came. Well, the end of this story is that he has a fairly sensitive stomach and probably shouldn't be eating pizza anyway so before bed he was grabbing his stomach saying "I can't eat that S**t anymore" lol. Kira 1, Pizza 0 in our game. Too bad the score is different in the game between the pizza and my boyfriend.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 152/104/102

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatRN78 View Post
Ok, I eat pizza. I just work it into my calories.
Me too. I can do a piece and a half if I plan for it. I LOVE it. It's the slowest I ever eat- I want to literally TASTE every. single. calorie. But this seems to be more a respect issue to me too. He could have had pizza during any of the hours today he wasn't with you.

Last edited by kristip; 05-21-2015 at 08:38 AM.
kristip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #11  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi1222 View Post
Kira 1, Pizza 0 in our game...
I love this! I am so using this...lol... AND good for you... Way to go!!!
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

My ex husband and I used to have pizza night pretty often - maybe weekly. I would buy flatout light and make each of us a 250-300 calorie personal sized pizza with toppings of choice.

I still do this quite often for my daughter - we use 100 calorie pita bread and it comes out perfect every time. Broil a bit on one side until crispy, remove from oven, flip over and top with sauce and toppings to throw back under the broiler.

We make BBQ chicken pizza, Thai peanut chicken pizza, pear and gorgonzola mesclun pizza, buffalo chicken pizza, and of course the "regular" varieties.

The best parts? It takes about 10 minutes from start to finish, and it's CHEAP!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Since your boyfriend wants to gain weight, he very likely will have to eat foods that you're going to find tempting. There's really no way around that unless one of you gives up your personal goals in order to support the other. That's not the kind of support either of you need.

My husband and I both want to lose weight, but we seem to do best on very different styles of eating. Hubby is trying semi-vegetarian with very little meat and virtually no red meat, and I'm doing a more traditional low-carb.

He envies my steaks, and I envy his potatoes, but if we want to eat together, we have to suck it up, and deal with it. Sometimes we can't, and then we eat alone and even at different times.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-21-2015 at 02:59 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 337.7/336.8/269

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi1222 View Post
I don't mean to sound whiney and hopefully I can chalk this up to being an emotional wreck since cutting my caloric intake but I am feeling a lot of resentment towards my boyfriend that 2 days in a row asked if we could have pizza for dinner. He is the guy that wants to gain weight while I am the girl who has been overweight her whole life. I LOVE PIZZA. I only started my caloric drop 5 weeks ago so its safe to say that the cravings are still very real. I do so much planning with meal planning and scheduling workouts to not have to think about the cravings. Yesterday I basically said "I was about to start cooking dinner" and he was so tired that he dealt with it and I was like, "phewwww." Tonight just as I was about to put my chicken and veg on the grill he asks again about pizza. I said, "YOU can have pizza." I guess Im more than annoyed and saddened because I usually leave him little notes in his lunch bag and the one today mentioned that I am really glad he didn't order pizza last night bc every day is a struggle. Now Im sitting here fighting back tears because I really want some effing pizza and the anxiety of when the delivery guy will show up in about 20-30 minutes is driving me insane. I don't want chicken and veg. Im sure it will be great but I want pepperoni effing pizza. I'm sorry that I am being a whiney brat, but I am just not feeling the support I wish I had at this beginning stage considering he has a lot to do with what made me start this journey. Feeling sorry for myself
You are not being whiny or irrational, he on the other hand is being subconsciously or consciously insensitive. This isn't one of those "dump that zero girl" posts lol, because you could just as easily be describing a family member. I think it is very natural for people around you to attempt to sabotage you. Sometimes I don't think it's even intentional in any way, they are just doing them (if he likes pizza he likes pizza, may not be to tempt you) but often times there is an intention to get you to join in as well.

I know because I live w/my mom *sighs* who is very overweight like me and while I've tried to encourage change, she's not very interested. That said, she has brought home many things that I would normally eat, like vegetable fried rice & vegetable pizza (I'm lacto-ovo vegetarian, my mom LOVES meat lol) so these were clearly for me even though she claimed it wasn't. I used to succumb to temptation and be mad at myself, but now I am a lot stronger willed when it comes to the issue because I know that greasy fried rice isn't doing anything good for my body. Now when I have a bad day it's not usually on eating Doritos and Hershey bars but eating too much health conscious food like Beanitos Puffs, Chobani yogurt, Kind bars, etc. which is still something I'm working through, but it reminds me of the saying "Next time fail better..." progress, not perfection.

I know everyone is doing something different here, the main thing we have in common is trying to reduce our weight, and hopefully be healthier. That said, I do calorie-counting and I try to eat foods that are conducive to good health (nothing to do with vegetarianism, because most of the past 8+ years I've spent as a vegetarian I ate super unhealthy, fried cheese sticks, brownies in ice cream, etc. health wasn't the goal, and my weight ballooned up to 350 lbs.) . With diabetes, cancers, strokes, etc. in my family and my having PCOS, I try to choose foods that taste good but also nourish me. All of that said, I still eat pizza (usually from Pizza Hut ) and while it may not have helped my weight loss, it didn't destroy it either. I'm a firm believer in making whatever plan you're following liveable to maintain your results for life. If you love pizza, and you can't enjoy the occasional slice (or 2 ) without it destroying all of your hard work, I'd see what else is out there as far as weight loss plans.

Back to your boyfriend, just tell him that you're trying really hard to eat healthier and you need him to be onboard, he can have his pizza, but try to do it when you're not around. Hopefully he'll get the message.

Last edited by Candidcamster; 05-22-2015 at 01:00 AM.
Candidcamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:01 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 299/159/129

Height: 5'1

Kiwi, congrats on going upstairs to eat healthy out of harms way. I have orderd my fav pizza for my grandkids ( the only time they get to have pizza) and pulled one bite off of the crust ( I'm gluten free ) to eat. Then I took my healthy meal into the living room. In the last few months I think of pizza as gross greasy, sickening stuff and gag when I see it. I used a self hypnosis trick so I could join in without cravings. It's always what both my grown kids and grandkids want for their Bdays. I had to do something LOL!
FairyGaia is offline   Reply With Quote