Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-29-2015, 03:46 PM   #1  

Cool Negative thoughts on treadmill

For some reason exercise sometimes makes me start thinking negatively. I'm on the treadmill and thoughts about something someone "did" to me crawls into my head and stays there. Or about a comeback I should have made. Or about all the reasons I dislike someone. Or whatever. I try to catch them and change them, usually successful. But I wonder does anyone else have a similar experience??

It's not that I don't want to exercise so I'm crabby. I mean my favorite part IS being done, but still I always feel better in general if I do than if I don't workout so I want to. Is it a testosterone buildup or some other hormone issue?? What you guys think?? I am a woman so ..... weird, huh?
FatinFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #2  
Blessed Person Here

S/C/G: Going/Still going/Gone

Height: 5' 1''

Hi! Did you try listening to music?
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I was going to post something very similar to this. How fascinating.

I don't necessarily have negative thoughts, but I am amused by the fact that on a run, which can last anywhere up to an hour and a half, I can have one single thought that I just keep replaying.

Sometimes, I will think about paying off a debt. Othertimes what I am going to have for lunch. etc. It's funny because I think so little for so long.

Anyway, my advice is that this is quite normal. Just try to think about something else that is positive.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #4  
Less of a Better Me

I think that any time you are doing something like that which doesn't take all your attention you can start ruminating about things that bother you. The solution is to do something else while using the treadmill so your attention is used up. When I use my treadmill I either watch shows I've recorded on TV (in fact, I don't usually watch TV unless I'm exercising) or I put my iPad on the treadmill and read.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

I ruminate on past wrongs all the time with no apparent trigger (except uncomfortable weather like warm/hot humidity.) All of a sudden I find myself nearly enraged over something that happened years ago.

Unfortunately, the only effective cure I've found is a stiff cocktail.

I'm a big help, huh?
Violette_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Violette is on to something. One of the reasons I love running with other people is because you get to talk and laugh.

I am also a member of the Hash House Harriers.

We run and drink (while running).
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

I have learned a few coping methods for getting caught in a negative thinking spiral. Affirmations, music, deep breathing/meditation, EFT tapping, listening to uplifting podcasts (Joel Osteen or Renee Stephens are my go to favorites.)

There is an affirmation song by Karen Drucker about negative thinking that works about 90% of the time for me. The song is called Just Stop It and when my mind goes negative I literally tell myself "Just Stop It "(out loud when I am at home) then I laugh at myself for talking to myself, sing that song and let it go.

http://m.songlyrics.com/karen-drucke...top-it-lyrics/

If the Just Stop It song doesn't do it I move on to the "Let It Go" Frozen song which literally gets stuck in my brain and becomes like a mantra.

Last edited by mariposssa; 04-30-2015 at 10:06 PM.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/139/120

Height: 5' 1"

I do this while exercising too, but also in the shower. On a treadmill though, if your just walking, you might be able to read at the same time. I sometimes try to get positive thinking done instead, like sorting out my to do list or reflecting on good things that happened that day.
PurpleMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

This happens to me too which is one of the reasons I avoid pedantic exercises such as treadmills. I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking these negative thoughts, perhaps you're just shedding them or sweating them out. However it is definitely not pleasant at all and it makes me not want to exercise.

That's why I try to do exercises that use my mental focus as well. I believe strongly that exercise is better when it requires me to focus my mind. I take dance classes and there's not time to think about anything except following the steps. I play tennis, there's no room in my mind for anything excepting following the ball.

Treadmills leave way too much opportunity for my mind to disconnect with my body. Not good, not good for my body nor my mind so I don't do it.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #10  

I also suggest either listening to music or even a podcast. This helps you keep your mind focused and prevents wondering thoughts and even worst the thought of I don't want to be doing this right now.
Jenny_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 185/172.1/120

Height: 5"1'

+ on podcasts, they can make the time go by so much faster.
gr8girl217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 150/146/135

Height: 5"1"

I had the same problem when using my eliptical so I either listen to music or books, watch tv, or write. It can be lists, ideas for the patterns I design, or fiction. I don't read books while exercising because I tend to slow down.

I'm a wanna-be writer who doesn't finish the stories but they keep me ocupied. If you like to write maybe writing a short story in which a character gets to work out your problem would be satisfying?

A great side effect of concentrating on writing is that I tend to execise longer
bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/150/150

Height: 5'7

This happens to me sometimes, as well, but I use it as motivation. Get a little pissed, walk a little faster. If it becomes too much, I turn on music or a podcast. But it doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing!
LesGetFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:12 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 298/235/185

Height: 5'9"

I despise exercise, but when I'm walking (on the treadmill or even outside), I switch on the Pop & Hip Hop Power Workout channel on Pandora. I'm not a pop or hip hop fan, but quite honestly, there's something about knowing that I'm listening to someone named Gucci Mane or Flo Rida while I'm working out. I do have to switch off the more graphic lyrics, so be careful of those.
LisaGA is offline   Reply With Quote