Old 04-20-2015, 11:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/225/120

Height: 5'0

Default Diabetes spectrum

I don't understand this. So when I was diagnosed with diabetes type II, my A1Cs were a 6.6 which is barely over the line and said to be on the controlled level. My PCOS was a pre-diabetic diagnosis. On average when I was checking my blood regularly, it was typically 120-140 Glucose level prior to eating in the morning. However, I've heard of people with much higher A1Cs and Glucose levels to the point where they they have to use insulin or greatly restrict their diets in fear of a coma. But when I tried to use mild diabetes around a doctors they claim it was just diabetes. So why do they not use a mild to severe spectrum for diabetes like other conditions and disabilities are?
PrincessKLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:26 AM   #2  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

The criteria for a diabetes diagnosis is an A1c over 6.4%.....it's just a number they have settled on probably based on that correlating to an average glucose of 137 which falls above the fasting cut off of 135 for being prediabetic vs diabetic. I think prediabetes is what you might consider to be "mild". Used to you were never told anything until you crossed the thresholds for diabetes. Over time the numbers of diabetes diagnoses increased exponentially and the powers that be realized people needed a warning and that is when providers began talking about prediabetes more. Not sure if that's helpful, just my two cents. I am prediabetic, going on 8 years. I have somehow managed on test days to always fall in the prediabetes numbers but my doc has told me it's a false sense of security and I should treat it like it is already a diabetes diagnosis.

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 04-21-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote