Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #1  

Default RNY VS Sleeve

I am debating between the RNY and Sleeve. I was thinking RNY because I need to lose the weight fast, but due to abdominal scarring I might not have a choice in what I get. Also, I have to pay cash for it since insurance won't pay and the sleeve is cheaper.
I am also getting conflicting information on dumping, one place said it doesn't happen at all with RNY and always does with Sleeve, then the Doctor says it might not happen either way.
I've been researching for years, but now that it's about to be scheduled I'm getting overwhelmed.
Thank you for any information.
kjnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:26 AM   #2  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I have two friends with two separate procedures, the ones you mention here. The RNY friend had massive troubles with dumping. Massive. It took her months and months to get past it. The sleeve friend had almost none. Once or twice as she was learning the right quantities to eat (and over ate) she did, but she figured it out and has had little to no side effects since.

This may have no bearing on you, but the RNY friend, 3.5 years out has regained weight. The sleeve friend has not. This may be due to compliance rather than the surgery type though, I don't know.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:44 PM   #3  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Dumping is a virtual certainty with RNY if you are noncompliant. It happens occasionally with the sleeve but isn't the same.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #4  
GmaTo8

Kjnrose, as the others have said, dumping can happen with either surgery, if the ingestion guidelines are not strictly followed. More importantly, this decision should be made between you and your doctor. (S)He knows all of your health history and is the best person to advise you on this topic. Good luck to you, whichever option you choose. Let us know what you decide. We care.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #5  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

I don't see the dumping as a negative. I am going to have the RNY and hope that I do have that issue if I so much as look at sugar. I think it's a great deterrent! I am a sugar addict so it's for the best. I've read that dumping is not as common in sleeve patients but does happen.
My surgeon always recommends the RNY if you can have it and the sleeve only if for some reason (like your scarring) you cannot have the RNY. I think the thing that put me over the top was the fact that if you fail on the sleeve, the remedy is to go back in and do a bypass to make sure you lose the weight. I figured I'd rather skip the middle step and just go straight to the bypass.
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #6  
GmaTo8

I like the fact that with the sleeve, your bowels are not messed with. Plus, you actually absorb the nutrients from the food you eat. RNY seems to be a better choice for those with more co-morbidities. There are pros and cons to any type of surgery. Read up on all of it, and make the decision with your doctor.

Failure is certain with any kind of weight-loss surgery if you do not follow the guidelines. Remember, surgery is just a tool to get you started. When the honeymoon period is over, it's all up to you to maintain your loss.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:14 PM   #7  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
I like the fact that with the sleeve, your bowels are not messed with. Plus, you actually absorb the nutrients from the food you eat. RNY seems to be a better choice for those with more co-morbidities. There are pros and cons to any type of surgery. Read up on all of it, and make the decision with your doctor.

Failure is certain with any kind of weight-loss surgery if you do not follow the guidelines. Remember, surgery is just a tool to get you started. When the honeymoon period is over, it's all up to you to maintain your loss.
^^^ WSS.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:59 AM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Exactly... surgery is a tool, not a cure. The mind has to be in cahoots with the tummy, if either of them are not with it then its not going to work. I am living proof.

Choosing one surgery is something only you and your doctor should decide, after all who knows you better than you?

What ever you choose, you will succeed... because you've come this far and I know you're going to make this work.

good luck

EDIT: BTW, I am sooooo glad to hear you've been researching this for years YAY !!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Leenie; 05-06-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #9  

Lose weight fast? I had the Sleeve done 4 weeks and 2 days ago. My weight loss started 2 weeks before surgery when they started me on a protein drink twice daily and 1 reg. meal. Today I have lost a total of 43 pounds. I usually lose between 5 to 7 pounds a week. How much were you told you would lose on each diet each week? I am super happy with my surgery. No dumping or any negative side effects. To me 43 pounds in 6 weeks is great! Hope you and your doctor come up with what is best for you, good luck.

Last edited by ambytes; 05-10-2015 at 07:50 PM.
ambytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:04 PM   #10  

Due to my GERD my doctor said we should definitely try the RNY and if he can't we'll do the sleeve. So we won't know until we get in there what's going to happen. I have the surgery scheduled on June 23 and I feel like it's a lifetime away.
kjnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 329/ticker/150

Height: 5' 3"

Hello, I had GB in 7/13. I had originally wanted the sleeve but my surgeon would not do it bc of GERD. I also had some abdominal scarring from a previous surgery but it was not an issue. I was told that 50 percent of ppl dump after GB. I have had some minimal dumping but I don't see this as a negative. It has kept me away from food with a high sugar content. It has been a journey for me that I feel gave me my life back. I no longer have sleep apnea, asthma, and the pain in my joints has decreased significantly. Prior to the surgery, I never had pain free days. Good luck with your decision. I read everything I could before the surgery and asked a million questions.
mitzie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:20 AM   #12  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I am happy for you Mitzie44, sounds and looks (ticker) like you're doing great!
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 329/ticker/150

Height: 5' 3"

Thanks MauiKai. It was the right decision for me.
mitzie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:27 AM   #14  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Thats the key.... make the decision that is right for your body
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 335 / 170 / 165

Height: 5'7''

My thoughts, based on my experience as a 5.5 year post-op who had gastric bypass (RNY), lost 178 lbs., and have maintained a steady weight (in the range of 165-175) since 2011:

1. WLS is a tool, not a guaranteed cure
2. You can cheat/skirt the rules with any type of WLS
3. The sleeve doesn't mess with your intestines, but it also leaves more room for cheating since dumping seems to be the exception rather than the rule - whereas with GB, dumping is almost a guaranteed thing
kissmykitty is offline   Reply With Quote