Old 04-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #1  

Height: 5'0"

Default Banananutmuffin Counts Calories

I've long been the type of "dieter" who jumps on fads or "extreme" diets to accomplish my goals. I've been vegetarian. Vegan. Low-carb. Paleo. Raw. I've done 5/2, intermittent fasting, etc. I've tried training for races. I've tried 100 push-up challenges. When it comes to diet and exercise, I like a plan and I like rules.

But none of that is working for me anymore. Maybe it's because I lack the self-control these days. Maybe it's because my metabolism is out of whack. I don't know.

But I do know that any diet that doesn't allow for the occasional spaghetti and meatsauce is NOT for me!

So I've decided to give calorie counting a try. I've never really tried it before, mostly because I am just too lazy to count calories and measure foods. But I think I've come up with a plan that might work. Maybe it will give me the freedom to eat what I want without binging, which is a problem for me.

My goal is to strive for anywhere between 800-1,200 calories per day of NON-VEGETABLE food. I will eat a heaping portion(s) of veggies at every meal which will bring up my total calorie count, but I won't go through the hassle of measuring/counting veggies.

My reason for this is because I mostly eat the same proteins over and over again. The thing most likely to vary is the vegetables I choose and the quantity of veggies I eat. By not counting them (but striving for a little lower calorie count than normal), I may actually be able to stick with calorie counting for the long haul. And let's face it: the calorie difference between three cups of raw lettuce and two cups of raw lettuce is negligible. If I ever get to the point where I need to consider those calories that carefully, this WOE will never work for me. I'm just too lazy to do it. So I figure I'll give it a go like this and see what happens.

I've already made a list of my standard proteins and carbs, noted their calorie counts, and posted it on my fridge.

Also, I am only 5'0" with a small frame and I'm sedentary, so my calorie needs are a bit lower than average. I've got about 28 lbs to lose.

I'm going to try to add in some exercise for health reasons, but I just don't have time to do anything extensive right now.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #2  

Yesterday went pretty good. I totaled 800 calories of non-veg foods, and probably had about 200 calories of vegetables. I plan to cycle calories based on my mood or social events. Sometimes higher days, sometimes lower days.

I also did a 35 minute walk on the treadmill yesterday and squeezed out a few pushups.

Today I've eaten a 300 calorie breakfast (slice of sprouted bread, 1 egg, 3 T egg whites, 1/4 avocado, plus asparagus & spinach). The plan is for a salad with vinegar at lunch, and then taco meat over veggies for dinner (with maybe another 1/4 avocado). If I need a snack, it will be 1/2 cup cottage cheese. I also hit the treadmill this morning, so already got in a small workout. Hope to squeeze out some pushups and squats later today.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:43 PM   #3  

Yesterday my total calories was about 1,200, +/- 100 because I went a little over when I weighed my taco meat.

My meals yesterday were:

- 1 egg + 3 T egg whites scrambled with spinach and asparagus, 1 slice Ezekiel bread, 1/4 avocado
- 1 salad with basic veggies (lettuce, cukes, tomatoes, onion) plus a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, 1 roasted chicken breast
- 1 taco salad (taco meat, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, 1 T sour cream, 1/4 avocado)

I woke up ravenous today and had to set my alarm early, but I still managed to get in a 30 minute treadmill walk this morning.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #4  

Got up again for a 30 minute treadmill walk! Woot! I am really pleased with myself.

Was super hungry today, probably as a result of such low cals for this week, so am having an "up" day as far as calorie count. Tonight I am going to enjoy a glass of wine (though I do plan to measure out my portion, which is a new thing) and a small bowl of baked ravioli (my first taste of pasta in a week, plus the first time I've had carbs in the evening this week).

Tomorrow I will go back down to lower calories and see how it's reflected in the scale.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:51 AM   #5  

Last night I WAY overdid it in the wine department, but I was celebrating my birthday. (And I didn't have any cake, because I don't like cake.)

Fortunately, I kept my serving of ravioli to a small one--very small, considering in the past I would eat a serving bowl of it--and I only ate one piece of garlic bread (instead of my normal 2). No dessert, just a bag of 80-calorie popcorn to finish off the meal. I didn't count calories yesterday because it was a celebration, but overall I'd guess I almost hit the 2,000 mark. Still, I consider it an "up" day in terms of calories, and in truth, that's still less than what I would have eaten on average before I started this WOE.

In the past this kind of "off plan" eating would have sent me down in a spiral of drinking/eating/overindulging with the idea that I would "start again Monday." But not this time!

Despite my hangover, I got right back on track this morning. Breakfast was 3 Tablespoons egg whites + 1 whole egg scrambled with asparagus and spinach, plus a piece of Ezekiel bread. Total non-veg calories was about 180, and I feel okay. I'm a teeny bit hungrier than usual, so I'll probably have a snack later.

As for exercise, I didn't wake up to walk at 6am, but I might do a bit of gentle yoga later to ease into some exercise.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #6  

And here I am... back again.

I fell off track in May/June thanks to, well, my own weakness. I could blame the stress in my life (change at Hubby's job, everyday stressors, diet-sabotaging spouse), but the truth is I am the only person to blame for what goes into my own piehole.

Anyway, I've been back on plan for about two weeks now. The biggest difference this time is that I am allowing myself a few more indulgences, or "costly decisions" as I call them.

I've lost about 6 pounds in two weeks. I won't win any speed weight loss contests, but slow and steady is probably the best way for me.

Today I went to a movie and didn't even succumb to movie snack temptation. Lunch was Ezekiel bread, avocado, and some deli turkey, plus a raw veg salad.

Ate dinner with the kids (3 oz baked salmon plus roasted veg). Will have a light snack with Hubby tonight, but that's it.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:36 PM   #7  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 300/300/160

Height: 5'5"

Hey banananut!

I admire those that can do slow and steady and still stay the course... Good luck!
justfortoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:19 PM   #8  

Thanks, justfortoday!

I think I'm in a bit of a stall but am trying not to panic. I've noticed in the past that the scale will show the same number for a week, and then *whoosh,* I'll drop weight. And when that happens, the weight usually stays off (Provided I don't go on some crazy binge. Which has happened.).

I've got weekend plans (parties and barbeques) so am doing my absolute best to stay totally focused this week. That way if I stray a bit (inevitable), I won't feel like I am too far off track.

Today's meals so far has been pretty low calorie.

Breakfast: 300 calories of turkey chili
Lunch: 200 calories of shrimp and light cheese
Dinner: 150 calories of eggs

Obviously I need a bit more to finish off my night. Will probably put together a 200 calorie snack tray. Keep in mind, I eat veggies with every meal (today I ate pickles and grilled zucchini, mushrooms & onions) and don't calorie count them, so my total today is likely to be around the 1,100 mark. That's right on track for my height.