Old 04-06-2015, 10:15 PM   #1  

Angry Not working?

Hi everyone! My name is Kristy. I'm new here, so forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong location!

I've tried WW a few times since the new Points Plus program and every time I try it, I seem to gain weight. I really love the structure of Weight Watchers and the convenience of points, but its super frustrating to be trying to lose weight on a program where most people are successful and being the OPPOSITE of successful on it. Just eating normally I haven't gained weight all year, as soon as I started WW again, I started gaining...I'm not sure what to do. So frustrating to work hard to lose and only gain.

I've tried all the WW tips like "don't estimate" and "don't abuse the 0 points foods"

Anyone have any tips for me?
KayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/184/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hi there. I saved my old materials from the Flex plan and am giving that a go this time. The only time I tried pp I ended up losing some, but not as much as I did on flex. I think free fruit was a culprit.

I know a lot of people do well on PP. So I don't have a cool app, just that old slide rule thing and am trying to be vigilant about logging.

Maybe if you knock down some of the fruit, it will help. Good luck.
pjk1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Hey Kristy.

Could you post an example of what a typical day looks like for you? Include any activity as well.

I know if I eat all of my weekly and activity points then I'll usually not lose. What seems to work for me is not adding any activity points for my activity. I just use dailies and weeklies. Weeklies I also rarely hit cap on, but my daily point allotment is still pretty high because of my weight (I get 35 pp). I've also noticed that with myself, if I use some of my weeklies each day then I tend to gain, but if I do a single day where we go out then I don't.

I do count fruits and veggies that are part of recipes into my points value. The only time I don't count them is if it's a single serving of fruit as a snack (which I rarely do) or a serving of just veggies on the side that are lightly seasoned or steamed.

I also track multiple things. So I track calories along side the points. Calories I track with the MyFitnessPal app (I'm Sunarie on there as well if anyone else uses it and wants friends). That way I can see what the things I'm eating translate to calorie-wise.

Last edited by sunarie; 04-07-2015 at 02:33 PM.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 354/307/200

Height: 5'3

Hey Kristy,

like previous poster, i notice too that if i plow through all my bonus points on the weekend i wont lose either. whats been working for me since july is getting a solid hour walk in on either saturday or sunday, and drinking all the water. are you drinking water? you can "jazz" it up with those flavor boosters. but i typically drink 10-13cups of water a day. the day before i weigh in i also watch my salt intake. and eat light the day before weigh in.

I knew of this woman years ago who hit a plateau and she changed her eating by subtracting cheese from her food and broke her plateau. could be something you need to change up, just a bit.

good luck to you!!

bev

Last edited by bperezlavigne; 04-07-2015 at 12:38 PM.
bperezlavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:21 AM   #5  
Less of a Better Me

As mentioned an example of what you are eating and activity would be helpful. Also, how do you eat the day before weigh in? If I eat something high sodium, for example, I will gain weight at weigh in.
Finally, have you considered also counting calories to see how much your are eating. I know you are aware that zero point foods aren't zero calorie, still they can make a big difference.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #6  

Each person I've known who has gained on WW is doing one of these three things.
1. Forgetting to count your caloric drinks. There was a post a few years ago, I think it was this forum... the woman couldn't figure out why she was gaining and then it suddenly dawned on her... she wasn't tracking the nearly THREE LITERS of sweetened tea she was drinking every day. It was like 30 points! Remember the sugar and creamer in your coffee, the soda, juice, everything except water and calorie-free drinks.

2. Abusing the free foods. I know you mentioned it so you are aware of it, but soooo many people don't realize that if those vegetables and fruits are combined with something else, YOU MUST TRACK THEM. Anything you do to a fruit or vegetable that changes the experience of eating it means you have to track it. Remember that potatoes, corn, and beans are NOT considered vegetables for the purposes of zero-point tracking. They need to be tracked and can add up very quickly.

3. Mixing old Weight Watchers Points with new Weight Watchers Points Plus. The points are very different for a lot of foods so if you are mixing the two up (which happens a LOT if you are using a knockoff Weight Watchers app or site) then you might be seriously underestimating the points you are eating.
KittenIsOverIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/190/150

Height: 5'5"

I agree with what everyone has said here, I just thought I'd throw in what's working for me.

Every week I only use my daily points... I pretend the weekly points aren't there. When I follow this strictly, I lose an average of 1 pound per week without any exercise at all (and I lead a very sedentary lifestyle). On the rare occasion that I do use my weekly points, I usually don't lose as much, if anything, so perhaps cutting out the weekly points will help?

I'm not sure if you're doing this, but there are other tips besides the eating that may help. For example, drinking a glass of water before a meal can help (I use Crystal Light because I hate plain water). Also, I use smaller utensils (e.g., a teaspoon instead of a tablespoon) because it forces you to take smaller bites. It takes approximately 20 minutes for you to realize your stomach is full, so eating slowly is a big tip because you may have been full 20 minutes ago but kept eating anyway because you didn't feel it yet.

One last tip. I'm not sure if this is silly, but it works for me: Only eat when you're hungry, and stop when you're not hungry anymore. I found myself thinking "Oh, it's noon, I should have lunch" but I wasn't actually hungry yet.. it was just a habit. I realized that I lose more weight when I start waiting for that actual hunger pang to strike. Also, only eat enough to not feel hungry anymore. I don't mean to starve yourself, but over time we tend to develop this mentality of eating until we feel stuffed.. just eat until you're satisfied. Then, if some time passes and you still feel hungry, have a little bit more (I think this is why it's suggested to have 6 small meals per day, or whatever that tip is.. I don't really follow it).

I hope some of this helps. I understand how frustrating it is :/
Suz151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #8  
will it ever stick??? lol

S/C/G: 283.6/236.8/155

Height: 5'6

Im not sure how much you weigh or what youre eating but here are three things that I make sure to do

1) I only use 10 or less of my weeklies and try to only use them 1-2 days not everyday
2) MEASURING! it makes a huge difference
3) I do count half of the fruit I eat as some points
Amberkkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #9  

What are weekly points? I know my daily is 25 but what are weekly Pts. Are you talking about those additional points people sometimes use for special occasions. I have a question about them here in this forum.
Regards
Menopause
Menopause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #10  
lovemylife001

S/C/G: 180/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7

Hi Everyone and happy Thursday. Countdown to TGIF

Menopause: You are correct. Your weeklies are the extra points that you are allowed for the week. I rarely use those. I know some that incorporate those into their daily points allowance.

If I do use those, I use only for a special occasion, but I make sure not to use all of them. Hope this helps
lovemylife001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #11  

Thanks so much LML001
Menopause is offline   Reply With Quote