Old 03-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 167/re-start:153/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

Default BMI - Do you take it into consideration?

So, I just found out that my BMI is in the overweight category (26.3). I told one of my friends and she told me that she things that the BMI scale is really messed up and that we shouldn't use it anymore.

I have to say, from the reading I have done, there are several short-sighted elements of the BMI, but that said, it is still used. So my question is, do you take the BMI measurement into consideration? Do you think that in most cases it is accurate?

I guess when it comes down to it, the bigger picture question is how do we identify if someone is in an underweight, healthy, overweight, obese, morbidly obese, etc. weight range? Should we even base those things on weight?
seize the day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:22 PM   #2  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

To some extent, I do consider BMI. I've been overweight or obese most of my life, so in setting my long-term weightloss goals, using BMI markers has been really helpful to me. It's also been important personally because of an issue I had getting life insurance coverage when I had an obese BMI.

I would not look at the BMI measure as a way to say "Yes, I am healthy" or "No, I am not healthy." There's a lot of flaws in the system. It would be better to get a body fat reading and aim to change your body fat to a more healthy range. There's also waist-to-height ratios that helps assess health, but I don't think any of these measures should really be taken alone. Ideally, people should be going to an annual physical, getting bloodwork done based on their age and other health markers, and evaluating all of that information together. But I'm not a doctor.

Once I reach the "healthy" BMI range, my plan is to reevaluate my entire nutrition and fitness routine and figure out a new goal based on whatever my fitness goals are at the time and I will probably also focus on changing my body fat percentage rather than weight as needed to meet my health and fitness goals.

In your case, your BMI is just a hair over the "healthy" range. I certainly wouldn't let it affect how you view your health.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:08 PM   #3  

I think that's a good way of looking at things - it is a good marker, but not a steadfast rule.

I'm not overly concerned about my own BMI - it's just something that I never considered before since my doctor never brought it up. I think I am going to try and look at it as a marker as well. Getting to a healthy BMI can act as one goal in the scope of my larger goal to be fit and healthy.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I also think it is a good marker of where you should aim to be but not a steadfast rule.

I have never been able to get into the normal category but I sit pretty close. Weight training messes with it.

For tall people there are issues too.

Last edited by IanG; 03-23-2015 at 03:16 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #5  
Suicide Wing Winner

S/C/G: 135/98/105

Nope, never took it into consideration. I know if I am healthy or not, I don’t need a number telling me if I am.
Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:01 PM   #6  
Semper Paratus

S/C/G: 181/~ticker~/130

Height: 65.5''

I take it into some consideration but not as a hard rule. I know that I am in the overweight category, but I was right on the edge when I was smaller and my doctor said I was perfectly healthy. I try to take my overall health into consideration. I do know that all my lab work shows that I have a very high A1C, and borderline diabetic, so I take that more into consideration than anything else. If I lose 20 pounds I'll lower my A1C by quite a few points.
lilmonstervictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #7  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Yes, I do take it into consideration. I don't depend on it, but a lot of my mini goals and even my own overall goal is based on BMI. I know that when I get closer to my goal weight that I'll make a judgement call on if 130 lbs is too low or not. I used BMI because I had no idea what my goal weight should have been since I'd never been healthy in my life!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:12 PM   #8  
Round 2

S/C/G: 315/289.6/160

Height: 5'5

its a good general marker. but if you weight train you'll be heavier than someone who doesn't most likely. muscle weighs more than fat and that's something that the BMI calculator doesn't take into consideration.
pegeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:21 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/185/135

Height: 5'2

No, I don't take it into consideration because I think there are so many better markers - like fat percentage, waist size, or fitness level. Someone who is thin, but has no muscle or tone, can look healthier than an overweight person. But if the big person is in fitness shape, they might actually be healthier.

BMI is just a fancy height-to-weight ratio.
LettuceDoThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #10  
Hello!

S/C/G: 215/168.4/159.8

Height: 5' 5"

Yes, I consider BMI. It's one of the common methods used in medical practice to determine if someone could lose/gain some weight to be healthier. There is also a base of research that has found correlations between health and certain BMIs. I think it is fairly accurate for the average person (not really muscular, not incredibly tall or short, etc.), and a nice quick rule of thumb.

However, I wouldn't live or die by it (no one will explode if they're a bit below or above the healthy range). There are other more accurate measures of health and obesity; however, many of them are hard to use for the average person.

I think of it as a general guideline rather than my main measuring tool. But it's nice to use to make some goals.
Penny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #11  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Here's what I know about MY weight and the BMI... as an adult my weight has ranged from the 120's all the way up to the 220's... I was at my "fittest" I feel when I was in the 130's and 140's... ran a couple of marathons and did a few triathlons including an Ironman... Now I have no real desire to do another Ironman again (but hey you never know?) But I do want to run another marathon again so the low 150's make sense for that, which is in the mid range of a "normal" BMI for me... So yes, I do take it into consideration...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #12  

I'm about 6 lbs from a "normal" BMI, so I am not overly concerned, but for me, I do think that it accurately predicts what my healthiest weight is (the weight where I feel the best) which falls right in the middle of the "healthy" BMI. I figure everyone's body is different so it works for me (I am fairly average build/height) but may not for others.