Old 03-20-2015, 12:44 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #107

Good Morning! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and the weatherman says it will reach 70 this afternoon. Don't think so since it's only 41 right now. Have a load in the washer, washed and put away snack plates, then picked up the clutter. Ernie and Sonny had a "discussion" this morning and have a few fur hunks to pick up. We are going to Sioux City this afternoon and will meet the kids for supper. I'm anxious to hear about Beth's jury experience.

"Gma," I want a new summer purse! Has to have a center zipper and an outside pocket. There are several people wearing masks around here. Sort of scary. There wasn't anyone yesterday, who didn't say they were coming for sure, and not show up. I really don't have room for eleven without dragging out a card table and extra chairs. Six is a nice number.

Bob will be home for lunch soon so need to look for leftovers. Hope you all enjoy a fantastic Friday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:54 AM   #2  

Good morning gals. Not too bad at the moment. Jack is taking the car to get an oil change early this morning so I am going to tackle the dusting upstairs. He can vacuum when he gets home as he has to drag the thing upstairs for me.

I am going to set up my sewing machine today and "get to know it" before I going to class next Saturday. Kelly never got back with me about coming to her house so am going to have to do this on my own.

I took Jack to work, came home and ate breakfast then went back out yesterday. I bought a bunch of refills on fruits and veg, bought some new cereal for myself and some whole grain bread and came home. I sure hope I like this cereal. It has 7 gr of fiber when most cereal has 3 or so. I don't put much milk on it as I don't like milk. I am not a big cereal eater anyway. Jack eats cereal every morning. This is one of those great grains kind with bananas, whole grain flakes, almonds and walnuts. We shall see.

I came home and called my best friend and we talked for 2.5 hours!! I just wish she could find herself a better job. She works 20 hours a week in a fitting room at Marshalls. That is too difficult for a woman in her 60's. She says she is bone tired by the time she gets home everyday and she is this little bitty thing not overweight or anything. She has to lug the clothing out of the dressing rooms and hang them up, then go out to the store and put everything back. She told me yesterday they now want to hawk their credit card. She says she isn't comfortable asking people to apply for a credit card, but they are insisting. She said they used to do it at the register, but they have this stupid idea to make the fitting room girls do it. The idea is they will wander around in the store "thinking" about it after changing clothes in fitting so more likely to do it then at the register. Poor thing, I feel for her. She is taking her resume in on Monday to a radiology place for a data entry position so I hope she gets it. It is full time and she would be sitting down. Just say a prayer for Vicki that she can get this job. (her dh is on disability and doesn't work. Personally, I think he is lazy, but that is me.)

I am thinking of getting one of those copper/magnetic bracelets to see if it would help with my arthritis some. Nutty as it sounds, I have heard a lot of good things about wearing copper and Jack wears a copper sleeve for his knee sometimes which he says helps. I don't want it to look icky though so have been trying to find something a bit stylish. I already wear a heart link medic alert bracelet and would probably put this one on the same arm.

Jean: Do the women who host the club have to come up with the craft idea and provide the supplies? I saw this article this morning that some lady went looking for her cat, put her hand under her bed and there was a burglar under her bed!! He took off when she felt his arm. I think I would have fainted dead away.

Hope everyone has a great Saturday.Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon! It's another bright sunny day with a beautiful blue sky, not that warm because the wind is blowing. I've just been putzing around the house and not accomplishing a whole lot in the process. I do have sheets in the washer which I should put in the dryer. "Ho hum, to do or not to do!" I did mean to type #106 on this thread but hit the wrong key.

"Gma," it would be nice if your friend could find a "sitting down" job. I know I wouldn't last long standing any more. I wouldn't like asking people to apply for a credit card either. Years ago the craft group did work on a project. The hostess found something to make, bought the supplies, and they spent the afternoon making the item. Then they all started working, met in the evenings, and decided to each create on their own and share with the group. I'm not sure when they switched back to meeting in the afternoons as I was invited a couple years ago. I explained I wasn't very crafty but the hostess said that didn't matter. Most of them seem to be quilters right now. I wonder if the lady found her cat. How scary to have a man hiding under the bed! Have fun playing with your new sewing machine.

Guess I will go put the sheets in the dryer and start another load in the washer. The basketball tournaments are on tv and two Iowa teams are playing either today or tomorrow. We couldn't find last night's game. Our cable company leaves something to be desired! Hope you all have a nice weekend and enjoy the rest of today!
Old 03-22-2015, 05:31 AM   #4  

Good morning to you all. Today I will be fooling with my machine. Yesterday I dusted and vacuumed, Jack put together the rack after he got back from getting the oil changed and we put stuff on it. I came downstairs and we decided to wait until today to fool with the machine. I don't have anything but cheap thread and no material or anything I can practice on so it will be just putting the little parts on and watching the video to see how to do the different things with it. The people that teach probably prefer people who know nothing that know it alls that always want to tell them no that's not right because they learned it this way or that.

I have a regular dr apt on Wednesday so hope all the tests and such come back with good numbers. I have lost weight since I was in there in November so I hope that makes her happy. I need to talk to her about getting a colonoscopy though. I have never had one and everyone should at our age and me especially with my colon issues. I have brought it up before but it has never gone anywhere. Then hopefully next week when I go to the surgeon's apt everything will be good and he will release me and I will be done with that. It is my last referral apt too so I don't want to have to get another referral as I have already gotten three for him. Tricare only gives you 4 appts at a time.

My friend's daughter is going into the hospital this morning and be induced. She is 2 months early and the baby isn't even 5 lbs, but she had preeclampsia they can't get a handle on and are fearful for them both. Today at church, say a prayer for Katie and the baby that everything will come out ok and the baby with be strong enough to survive. This is Jane and her husband's first grandchild and they are extra anxious.

Jean: The two Iowa basketball games are going to be on TBS tonight, looked like one at 7 or so and the other one after 9 PM. Hope this helps the hunting! I noticed the gap in numbers but what the heck, it doesn't matter as long as we know to go forward. So what do you do when they are quilting? Are you still working on the afghan? What kind of jury was Beth on? I have been registered to vote everywhere we have lived since I was 18 years old and never have gotten called. Jack has gotten called three times I think, once in New Mexico, once in Indiana and once here. The Indiana one is the only one that he went very far into it. The other two he got dismissed the same day. He has never actually been impaneled though. I wouldn't mind doing it but my health stuff might cause a problem, having to use the restroom and such and sitting for long periods and not eating.

Everyone have a great day. Think I will either read or knit for awhile. Haven't been knitting much and need to get that sweater finished. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 03-22-2015 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #5  

Good Evening! The sun has been in and out most of the day, wind continues to blow, and I have tulips (I think) coming up in the flower garden. Bob is out putzing in the garage and I just finished watching Dancing with the Stars that I taped last Monday night. Two Iowa teams play in the tournaments tonight so I know what will be on TV! I think I have a quiet week coming up. Only two of us counting at church tomorrow but I'm not expecting much money since it's almost the end of the month. I may be surprised though.

"Gma," the actual colonoscopy itself isn't that bad, except for the hurry up and wait for your turn part. Bob's secretary told me she eats really light two days before so there isn't much in "there" the day before. I took pills but Bob had to drink a big jug of Gatorade. When I mentioned it to the pharmacist later he said there were some side effects to the pills and they were no longer used. I hope your friend's grandchild arrived in good condition. I did find the game times; I think Bob thought they were on last night for some reason. Right now Iowa is behind. I don't think Beth is on a district court jury because it isn't a criminal case. She was voted foreman so is taking notes like mad. I was on a jury once; it took us 30 seconds to find the guy guilty of OWI. He was so dumb he tried to be his own defense and the patrolman said he failed every field test. The judge told us afterwards it was his 7th OWI. In Iowa once you turn 70, you won't be called for jury duty any more.

Bob is grilling steaks and I have potatoes and scalloped corn baking. Enjoy the rest of your evening!
Old 03-23-2015, 07:24 AM   #6  

Good morning to you all. It is nice and mild this morning or at least the house isn't cold. It is supposed to be in the 70's most of this week though rain off and on. We don't need anymore rain as we are having Mississippi river flooding again, though it hasn't been horrendous like a few years ago.

This morning was weigh day and I am down another 4.6 lbs. I imagine now it will probably slow down as my eating is catching up so to speak. I don't find this hard to stay on at all except for the planning. It does take time, but I do it the evening before as I always decide the night before what we will have for dinner the next day so I can take it out of the freezer and let it stat defrosting in the fridge.

I fooled around with the sewing machine yesterday. Things sure have changed. Jack read the book while I did things like make a bobbin and thread the machine. Other than that, I pretty much have to wait until the the class. I did remember some stuff though so was not totally clueless.

Thomas flies home today. I will be anxious to hear all his stories on his trip. Probably won't get to talk to him until Easter though.

I am going to clean the upstairs bathroom, and get ready for my dr app on Wednesday. I want to shave my legs and "sand" my heels. I have one of those omepi's or whatever they are called. Jack likes it because he can sand off his callouses and I use it for my heels. I do it about once a week or every other week. I also use a foot cream every night. Being flat footed my feet really take a beating. Since more than likely the pharmacy doctor will want to look at my feet, I want them to be in good shape. I have so little body hair I am not sure about the other, but will do it anyway as she always looks at swelling in my legs.

We are having salmon patties for dinner. Jack is going to have mac and cheese and I am going to have asparagus and green beans I think with blueberries for dessert.

Jean: Jack has had a colonoscopy so I know the drill. He did the Gatorade with something mixed in it, some powdered laxative I think. I have had several icky procedures for colon tests and of course the surgeries and they all require cleansing. I usually take laxative to clean out and don't eat the day before at all. It can be tough but because of my diabetes now, can't go that route. I will just have to eat light like your friend does I guess. Hopefully your counting week will go nicely all week this week. Your dinner sounded yummy. I am really trying to keep my meat intake to 4 oz for dinner. I usually have something like turkey or chicken for lunch.

Well girls, sounds like the washer is almost done and clothes ready for the dryer. You all have a nice beginning of the week.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining but not that warm outside with the wind blowing. We balanced on the first try at church this morning. Yea! There was a big funeral and I was finished in time to avoid people coming into the church. I also balanced the gift shop money and Bob deposited that on his way back to the office after lunch. I've got a load of towels in the washer and vacuumed the furry bunnies. The guys are really shedding!

"Gma," on another great loss! Your diet is working well for you. I wish it would warm up here! I wore my winter jacket this morning -- my car seat heater was "on" too! Do you use a recipe for salmon patties? Bob mentioned them the other day and I've never made them. I'm not much of a meat eater and try to convince Bob that a piece the size of a deck of cards is the amount he should be eating. For some reason his deck of cards is pretty big.

I need to get towels in the dryer and start another load in the washer. Hope you all enjoy the rest of a marvelous Monday!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:18 AM   #8  

Good morning ladies. It is lovely and mild this morning and supposed to be in the 70's again. I know South Bend got hit with a snowstorm yesterday so they have snow again. Everyone is pretty sick of it.

I got my hospital bill for the day I went in because my drain was coming out. Big waste of money, but I was concerned that something might not have come out so had to make sure. He would have sent me over there anyway to get xrays to be sure.

Thomas got home all safe and sound last night, but I guess he was pretty tired. She found him with his head down on his desk fast asleep. He'll be back in school today and go back to routine for another couple months then school will be out and back across the sea he goes again.

I did a load of laundry and cleaned bathrooms yesterday. I need to tackle downstairs today but may put that off until Thursday. I try to have simpler meals on the day I clean the downstairs since it takes a lot more time. I have a dr apt tomorrow so we will be having hamburgers for dinner since I have to go pick up Jack from work. It screws everything up as I usually start dinner while he is driving home from work.

Jean: I just use a can of pink salmon, an egg, and crushed soda crackers, blend them together and make patties and fry them. I use Pam though not oil. They are a snap to fix and cook pretty fast, less then 15 minutes or so. I burnt my forearm fixing dinner last night as the stupid macaroni boiled over and I had a pan of green beans in the back and the salmon on the right burner. I went and grabbed the pot of macaroni to slide it to the warming area until I could clean up the water and because I had the high heat burner on, it burned me as I lifted off the pan. It was ok though. It didn't blister and I just put aloe on it right away and it is fine this morning. Maybe Bob is thinking of playing cards the size of those on that old game show, "Card Sharks." Jack usually eats 8 oz and weighs all his meats. I only eat 4 oz for evening meal. It is tough to cut back on protein if you are used to eating meat all the time, whatever it might be. I really thought I would hate not eating white bread and eating so much veg and fruit, but other than the planning and cooking I haven't missed it. Once I "de" sugar myself, I don't miss desserts either.

Well, Jack has left for work and I need to take my blood sugar and get things together for breakfast. Have a great day all.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:07 AM   #9  

Good Morning! It's a gloomy morning -- 30 degrees but feels like 17. We are in a winter advisory for freezing rain turning to snow this afternoon. What happened to 70 degrees and spring? I've been sitting here with the Today Show chatter and my coffee, not even dressed yet. I saw an ad for dustless kitty litter and I'm on a mission to find it! The website says WM and ACE Hardware will have it in my area. We'll see, but I'm not holding my breath for either place. Also have a farm store I can check where they carry all kinds of animal food and supplies. Have more laundry to do and need to think about something to fix for lunch -- something large enough for some leftovers. Also need to deliver a check to the hospital this morning.

"Gma," I'm glad Thomas is home safe. It will be fun to hear about his trip. Kids sure have a lot more opportunities today than we ever thought about when we were in school. I hate it when something boils over and makes a mess on the stove. I'm glad your burn wasn't too bad.

The robin who eats cat food just arrived. Sonny is keeping watch and the robin tries to sneak up from the side of the bowl. Too funny! I need to get busy and get my day going. Have a terrific Tuesday and enjoy!

Last edited by Jean; 03-24-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:00 AM   #10  

Good morning to you all. Today is dr apt day so was up at 4:30 so I could ready and then take Jack to work not looking like a shrew. I am always afraid I will have to stop somewhere and go to the bathroom on the trip or heaven forbid get out at the plant and go in and go and look like I just got out of bed. So, I make sure I am all dolled up before I take him. It will be nice next year to have a second car where I don't have to get up and take him.

Yesterday was one of those days where I should have stayed in bed. I overflowed tomato soup so had to clean the stove again, burnt my grilled cheese sandwich, splashed raw chicken juice all over the cabinet, countertop and floor and had to disinfect all that, found water under meat drawer so had to clean that all up and then had some female stuff causing problems. I told Jack when it was all over all I could do was laugh so I wouldn't cry.

Guess we will have burgers for dinner tonight. I need something I can fix fairly quickly when I keep the car otherwise our dinner is later than we want it to be.

Saturday is my sewing class so I sure hope I learn something and it is fun. I found it amusing that some of the things I learned did stick in my head but on my new machine it is done completely differently. I noticed there is a lot more plastic on new machines than the old ones. Bobbins, latches, spool holders, etc are all plastic now where they used to be metal. Even the foot pedal is plastic and I remember it to be metal.

Jean: We have one more glorious day of 70's then it dips into 50's for high for a couple days and then climbs back up into 70's next week. It was gorgeous here yesterday almost 80. It is so nice to hear that Sonny has adapted so well to your home. I am sure the bird was watching the cat as much as vice versa.

Have a good Wednesday.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon! It's another cold windy day in my corner of the world. The sun has been in and out all day. We got close to a half inch of rain yesterday and NO snow. This was my morning to work in the gift shop. I sold a greeting card and two pieces of candy, but saw lots of people to visit with. We had a tornado drill and spent extra time in the "quiet" room because no one told us to come out and we couldn't hear the all clear announcement. Bob is at the farm working on tractors so I won't see him until he gets hungry. Bell practice was canceled because the director is sick. So the rest of the day is mine. What to do, what to do . . .?

"Gma," I hope the doctor appointment was a "good" one for you. I took Bob to work a few times, when we were first married, and wore my pjs and robe. I have NO idea why I was so clueless about the possibility of having to stop for whatever reason. I was so lucky! Bet you were glad when it was bedtime after the day you had yesterday! I noticed more plastic on my sewing machine too. Things just aren't made to last like they were in the old days.

I need to change clothes and unload the dishwasher if I don't do anything else this afternoon. Hope you all enjoy the rest of a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 03-25-2015, 04:21 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking WINDY today

GOOD AFTERNOON IN MARCH MAGNOLIAS
☺♫

One of the ladies from church brought over some food for us. She put together a pan of lasagna which we will have for dinner along with some asparagus, cottage cheese and pineapple. She also brought a doctored loaf of French bread we will have part of. The other casserole we put in the freezer for a later meal.

We are going to have the new fridge in the MH when it arrives in a couple of days. It is on order and will be here by then they say. There is a place here in this town who can do the work so we don’t have to drive a long ways out of state to have it done. It is a place just down the rode from where we have the MH parked.

Will got his port flushed and blood drawn yesterday afternoon and then tomorrow he has a CT scan. Then in a few days he will have a talk with the doc and find out the results. We are counting on him being cancer free now.

We are both at the tail end of that awful cough that is going around this area. Neither of us can remember the last time we were this miserable with this sort of thing.

I hope all of you are having a wonderful evening.
Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up

Last edited by Maggie; 03-25-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:14 AM   #13  

Good morning ladies. It was gorgeous here yesterday, but going to only top out in the 50's today so back to jeans and sneakers for me. It was lovely wearing summer stuff yesterday. Another early day for me as I have to keep the car today again.

We have a leak inside our fridge and can't figure out where it is coming from. Jack went last night and got a new water filter and replaced it, but this morning the towel I put on the top shelf where we found water was wet. It has to be in the water line somewhere so we may just have to shut it off and not use it, which means we can't use the ice anymore either. I am not about to buy a new fridge right now if turning the water off solves the problem. I replaced the towel so we shall see what happens today with it.

The clinic was a total zoo. I had to park in the back forty, I swear then there were at least 30 patients in the waiting room. I got there at 9:15, my apt was for 10 and I didn't even get into an exam room until 11:30. I then didn't see the doctor until another hour wait. I hate not getting first appts in the morning. My doctor apt went really well. The pharmacy doctor is very impressed with my blood sugar numbers and my regular doctor says I no longer need to see the pharmacy doctor. I talked at length with her and she said if in 6 months they still look the same they are going to take me off my diabetes drugs and see how I do. I talked to her about how my leg swelled up on vacation and it really concerned her so I have to go and get a scan of some kind to make sure there is no "dead" clots like she calls them or any vein problems. I also have to go back to the clinic early this morning and have blood drawn for regular tests as I had eaten yesterday. She and my gyno also put me on a round of Provera to see if it will stop the spotting and such. She said if it didn't then my gyn wants to do a hysteroscope to make sure I have no lesions. I sure hope this works. I third degreed her about it raising my blood sugar though before I agreed to take it. I take it once a day for 14 days.

Maggie: I am sure by this time the two of you feel plum run down. This stuff saps your strength for sure. Good luck with getting the new fridge and such.

Jean: Boy you sure had a run on the gift shop yesterday. I used to take Jack to work wearing grubbies and no bra then when this colon thing started back in 2007 I realized I had better dress proper to take him to work.

You all have a nice day today!
Old 03-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #14  

Good Evening! Bob had practice at 4:30 and still isn't home. I finally gave up and ate a sandwich -- I was hungry! It's been another cold, windy, gloomy day in my neighborhood. I went to get my nails done first thing this morning and then braved the grocery store without a list. I forgot it and/or have lost it somewhere between the kitchen, my purse, the car, or my coat pocket. I still haven't found it so don't know what I forgot. After lunch did a couple more errands and have been cold ever since.

Maggie, it was nice of your church lady to bring food in for you and Will. Hope Will's CT scan is all clear. I'm glad you both are feeling better.

"Gma," I have heard that the ice makers/water line will eventually leak. I still have to make ice cubes the old fashioned way. I am not a patient patient when I have to wait for an appointment. One time my doctor had to go deliver a baby and the nurse came out to say we could either wait or reschedule. I waited and it was just about a half hour. Hope the CT is clear! Bob came home about 6:30 so my thoughts got interrupted. Is Provera advertised on TV? I hope it works for you.

Not much else newsy tonight! Hope you all enjoy a nice evening!
Old 03-27-2015, 06:45 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Fabulous Friendly Almost Rainey Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN MARCH MAGNOLIAS
☺♫

We are both at the tail end of this coughing stuff which no one knows what to call it since it is going around so rampant. I don’t care what to call it except “gone.” I have coughed very little today so I know the end of it is near.

JEAN Will’s scans & tests show all cancer is gone.

DONNA FAYE We get the new fridge started being installed on Monday and since we don’t live in it they want to keep it a few days for they want to make sure everything is working properly. We are having them install new windshield wipers and new deep cell batteries.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote