Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 06:39 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2015 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 03-01-2015, 06:40 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Took a taxi to a performance last night of Bach's St. John Passion - the subway has been flakey since the record-breaking snow and they don't hold performances until all the subway riders have appeared, LOL. The performance included two Viola d'amore with their 7 bowed strings and 7 sympathetic strings - a new instrument for me. The players spent a great deal more time tuning than did the violins. It was a nice way to end the week. We took the subway home so that I did get some walking, CREDIT moi.

Eating was 100%, CREDIT moi, with the only snack being half a California Navel Orange after dinner. Being busy helps me with snacking.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Just remembered that meeting a February exercise goal must be a challenge with only 28 days.

maryann - Ouch for the reality of "I want what I want when I want it." BTDT. Thanks for, "I want peace with food more than anything else."

love2garden - Congrats for choosing a DH who not only cooks but accepts input for the menu. I love the attitude, "No way will I let this defeat me."

Violette_R - Kudos for being clear that you want to get Week 4 successful before moving on. Sending supportive thoughts for processing all the feelings - and especially for having to process other folks' opinions about your feelings. Yep, 1200 calories is a challenge.

Readers -
Quote:
day 32 Prepare for Travel

How Not to Gain Too Much
These are some solutions dieters I've counseled use to help prevent gaining too much weight while they're away from home: . . .

Used the strategies you've already learned. Take this book with you. Reread how to differentiate hunger from cravings and how to tolerate them; how to use anti-craving techniques; how to prepare for unplanned eating and overeating; how to get back on your diet after a slipup; how to handle disappointment and the unfairness issue; how to deal with food pushers; and, especially, how to prepare for eating out and drinking alcohol. You've learned a tremendous amount if you've been practicing the skills in this program for the last month. Use that knowledge!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 224.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #3  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation keep going

Coaches

My poor week slid into a poor Saturday. Wow. I am at a ceramic workshop thing and the instructor is super frustrating. out of 8 hrs, we actually made something for maybe an hour and she talked for most of the rest of the time. And of the talking for most of the rest of the time, the workshop, which was supposed to be Narrative in Clay was really Narratives about why I *really can* STILL make art and raise two boys, who really did change my life for the better and I don't resent them at all. No really.

and the organizers brought in way too many snacks. I ate fron them. A muffin, donut holes, bagel. and my lunch. and a super fatty grilled cheese and fries at a place called Cut the Cheese.

279 this morning. down from 280 yesterday. I am probably 274 is what I think.

Disappointed.

My March goal is to be out of the 70's.

My goal today is no sugar junkfood crap.

I'll check in later.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches-
well, i've been feeling like there isn't much to write about, same old same old. We continue to get the gym every few days which is great. I really like using the weight machines, and being able to hop onto elliptical, rowing, bike machines for a few minutes each to work different muscles.

Eating wise i continue to feel totally unmotivated to stop eating sweets. I have felt so bleagh this winter i have kind of given up for a bit. But it is finally March and the days are lighter and longer which helps. I resolve to make it better than February!!
Waving to all!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

The snow started early, so I canceled one of my engagements and exercise slipped right into the vacant slot. So, I met my February goal! Today's exercise will include shoveling. Looks like we got 6 inches or so.

I was one day shy of my goal that I set mid-month to have 6 one-snack days. But most of the days were lighter snack days, and I got the results I wanted so I'm okay with that. I lost 3 pounds in February to go with the 2 in January and reach my first 5-pounds lost. Averaging 2.5 pounds a month is discouraging, but I'm pleased that the rate increased in February. Like others, I'm frustrated right now with how little food I can eat and lose weight. It's less food than the last time around, but I'm reminding myself that I was more patient then -- I'd lost a lot of weight already and was happy with losing 2 pounds a month. It's going to take less food if I'm going to lose at a faster rate.

I thought I'd be moving on to Stage 2 in the green book by now, but my success at reducing my snacks has me making a different plan. I'd rather do this by reducing portions than following a highly-structured plan or counting calories or using MFP. So, I'm going to see if I can make that work.

February did get me past this stage: I always think that when I quit overeating, the weight should fly off. But it doesn't. Stopping the binges means that I stop the weight gain. And, I need to remind myself that is a very important thing in itself. I once gained 40 pounds in a year. And last year, I gained 28. So, "stop gaining" is something I want to value more than I do. I stopped gaining in January and I started losing in February. It's all good.

WI: -0.2 kg, Exercise: +60 1200/1200 minutes for February, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 03-01-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:08 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 2"

GardenerJoy: Stop gaining is a great goal to value, and loosing in February is even better. Sorry about the hold up on moving to Stage 2. You receive a great credit for getting in the exercise!

CurleyJax; Even if we say the same thing over and over, it seems to me that I do better on days I come here to be fortified to try harder.

Oneby One: How long your day must have felt to have expected some decent training, and simple be put to sleep with carbs and on-and-on-talking.

I shall Begin Stage 2 in the morning. Will plan at least my snacks for the next week and my lunches that I'm responsible for. Breakfasts and Dinners are cooked by DH so I must coordinate with him the night before to list my meals.

I'm pleased how many of the Beck skills are becoming easier and easier. As I ate fresh blueberries in 1% milk, how easy it was to simply enjoy each bite!!! Either the fruit was unusually good, or I was very hungry, or simply slowing down and really tasting makes a huge difference.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #7  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! Our trip was great - we completely lucked out with great weather while we were in Florida, then on the cruise and in the Bahamas. They said it was the best weather in the past two months. Good karma. We missed nearly nightly temps here below zero.

One thing I was sad to discover afterward - for some reason, Beck skills completely leave me when I board a cruise ship. I am UP, UP, UP. In trying to think of SOME credits, I struggle. I wasn't active. I ate more than I needed because it was all around me (pizza at midnight? Of COURSE! That's my fave food!) But then the credit (?) was that it was a small slice, perhaps seven bites if that. Too many desserts. But did pass on all that weren't great from the first bite. And again, they were very small servings, so many folks had plates with 4-5 slices of cake/pie/torte, whatever on them. So I was able to eke out some positives. We'll see if the scale keeps an upward swing or if I can bring it down.

Dinner will be a new recipe of homemade black bean soup with garlic, onion, lime, chicken stock, black beans, etc. I hope it turns out well. Will roast carrots/onions as well and possibly a bit of cilantro rice.

I scored some $1/quart strawberries, so will use those in meals for the next few days. They actually smell wonderful.

Came home to solid snowfall/storm overnight and spent quite a while shoveling this afternoon. Back to work tomorrow. DH caught a cold and I'm trying to stave it off. Sneezing all afternoon, but still keeping my fingers crossed.

Will adjust ticker on Saturday - aiming to get back there by then. Phooey!!
Old 03-02-2015, 05:29 AM   #8  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday 3 mile walk, CREDIT moi. We've reached the stage where some snow has melted and refrozen to form a glaze over the sidewalks. We spent about half of the time walking in the streets - the very streets constrained by snow banks to be only one lane wide.

Eating was 100%, CREDIT moi, including snacks. Getting Sunday snacks under control is a challenge because of the arrays of food set out for fellowship hour. I plan for a cup of coffee, which I thoroughly enjoy, but have to drink it with folks with homemade cookies dribbling from their mouths. I found a friend who'd lost about the same amount that I have and found that talking to him inspired me. He, too, was eating nothing; we had a two person club.

onebyone – LOL at the description of your ceramics instructor; Yep, talking about making ceramics instead of demonstrating and doing sounds frustrating. But that's so yesterday. You're set for today with "My goal today is no sugar junkfood crap."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – 28 Kudos for "1200/1200 minutes for February." Thanks for the reminder that "stop gaining" is to be valued.

nationalparker – Today's Beck quote well aligns with your return. Sound like a good trip. So jealous of your "$1/quart strawberries" - can't remember ever getting that good a price.

curlyjax - Yep, grab the hopefulness of March to get firmly on your path. Neat that you rotate among the cardio machines to work different muscles.

love2garden - Bon Voyage into Stage 2. Drooling over your "fresh blueberries in 1% milk" - just sounds so good to me right now.

Readers -
Quote:
day 32 Prepare for Travel

During the Trip Home

You're on the way home. You tried to follow your predetermined diet plan while you were away. How did you do? You should be giving yourself credit for everything you did right. But maybe you slipped some. Are you dreading getting on the scale?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 225.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Good morning coaches,

Just checking in to say I am still plugging away. Credit for 2 months of trying very hard. The weight loss is really slow, however I am not putting in many 100% days lately so that is the cost. I have discovered though that my cravings for sugar are diminished so that is a success. Much to my chagrin I don't get to loose large amounts just because I am no longer eating sugar.

I am focusing on 1 more pound off because that will give me 15 and then getting out of the 280's. That is doable.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #10  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation I completely blew it.

Coaches

I completely blew it last week and especially over the weekend. Weighing in today, to change my ticker, back up to 280, losing my two jittery heads representing 10lbs off... again and again and again... this is what I do. It's why my motto, which I never hang onto ever it seems, is Persist in Victory. Once I gain a victory/reach a goal/am on the threshold of another one I toss the reigns off and go backwards. I spend half of my time re-grouping, re-doing, chasing the same path. Perhaps I need to work harder for my goals. Add the exercise, stay strict with the food so I really feel the work I am doing so when I contemplate that first bite of off plan food I *know* what I have gone through to get to the point of standing over the enormous mound of colourful sprinkle coated "things" and that I will choose not to have one. Valuing my hard work is something I need to work on.

Today is it back on track. I have written out my food. I have planned exercise. I move forward once more. It ain't over 'til it's over. And it's far far far from over.

I wish I had something better to tell you guys. I feel ashamed to have written that and reported in with that. You'd think I'd get it by now. But those thoughts won't help change things either. So, better to get going and have a good day in all ways.

On a positive note: so happy it is March.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:52 AM   #11  
Green Tomatoes

Marching into March.

WI: NC in kg, Exercise: +65 65/1300 minutes for March, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 03-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

I've been back on track for two days. However, I'm also taking a medication with the side effect of appetite suppression (for my sinusitis) so I don't know who much credit I can take.

Love2garden: I do worry about getting enough nutrition at 1,200 calories a day. I track my macros, take a multivitamin, work to eat lots of veggies and also drink green drinks (from powder.) I recently read about a trainer who urges clients to take occasional breaks from weight loss. Not eat whatever they want, but eat at nutritious foods at maintenance levels for 2 or so weeks before focusing on weight loss again. I'm taking a cruise in April so I'm focusing hard on weight loss until then, but I think after that I will try this. It sounds psychologically good and also a like a way to enhance nutrition.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Credit for 12 days with no wheat and 1 daily meal replacement smoothie. I open my pitch this way to draw attention from last night's Sacramento King's buffet -unplanned meals and too much sugar. Credit for resisting an overreaction this morning such as "I'll make up for it with skipping meals for a couple of days." That would be a set up for disaster. I will stay the path. I have lost 2 pounds a month following Beck stages and if that continues, I will be back in the 150s by the end of the month. This means I will be back in a few more pairs of dress pants.

Also credit for continuing to up my exercise. My current plan is two cardio, two yoga per week. I met it last week. Also credit for squashing the "sticking thinking" that cries, "That's not enough, you should do more." 4 days a week is a heck of a lot better than the two days a week I was doing before. I will keep my plan consistent for March as well.

onebyone: Nothing more frustration than to be a hostage to a "sage on the stage" rather than a real teacher.

curlyjax: Nothing "same old" about going to the gym steadily. Sometimes, my addictive mind makes me minimize a good healthy streak so that i will take it for granted. The tool most helpful to weight maintenance since I was over 200 pounds at 18yo was exercise. Super credit.

gardenerjoy: Cheers to two pounds a month. That was my pace to reach my goal last year. I am happy with it. Any faster and I seem to rebel.

love2garden:Good thoughts for stage 2. I am still on stage two. Instead of following Beck's whole plan, I took the suggestion of changing one meal. That has been helpful.

nationalparker: Welcome back.

BBE: Yeah for connections. Finding similar minded people - either in person or a blog is crucial to me to lose weight.

Ceejay: I agree that I would like a wand that immediately waves away the pounds when I give up a cherished food like sugar or in my case wheat.

Last edited by maryann; 03-02-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #14  

Height: 5' 2"

Credit: Breakfast healthy and Beck approved. Credit: Set timer, took over 15 minutes to savor.
Credit: Still reading cards and Beck's green book.
Credit: OP Snack TLC Bar with black coffee eaten slowly.
Credit: When I was upset earlier today, I didn't even think to get something to eat!!! Amazing!

The Kashi TLC Bar Chocolate chips are tiny, but really help satisfy my desire for chocolate, yet I’m still getting Fiber and Protein with the good whole grains. Bar fits in my pocketbook, too.

NationalParker Cruise sounds wonderful, such a contrast to your hikes when you are home. Surprised me that you chose it and enjoyed it, too. Hope you visited with your brother while in the south and that he is doing OK. Are you able to escape DH’s cold?

Bill Good for you finding a smart buddy who JUST had coffee at Fellowship time. If the treats didn’t look good and smell good, it would be easier on us all. We’ve started having fresh fruit served and it helps me to take a small group of grapes and eat them slowly.

CeeJay Credit: you are escaping the sugar cravings. What a bonus. Hope to join you soon.

OneByOne We shall prevail!!! Yes, I keep gaining and loosing but this March shall lead to getting lower than I’ve been in a while. One pound at a time, one day at a time. I’m with you.

Violette Your trainer offers advice advice that I shall remember. May you get down before your cruise, but keep enough energy to enjoy the vacation.

MaryAnn Your plan to change just one meal at a time in Stage two is a good one. Think I’ll join you because I can do that without going crazy. What was your highest weight? Have you followed Beck to lose it so far?
Old 03-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #15  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Quick post here - caught DH's cold and felt miserable today. Worked from home instead of going in and sneezing all over. Will head in tomorrow after hopefully a good night's sleep. Scale still increasing, as is my panic. On track today, though, and it included a dinner at Panera at DH's request.

I still need to catch up a few more pages from end of Feb. on the posts, but it looks like many of you are doing GREAT! Hope to be included in that sooner rather than later.

In THEORY (we'll see if it comes to pass) DH and I are challenging each other and ourselves to have a solid March with a fair amount of weight loss. I hope we can drop a bit, if not a lot. A lot for me would be four pounds. Average would be the same two pounds as others That brings me comfort in a way.

Goal for tomorrow is to start with a smoothie and pack my lunch. I'm afraid of making too many goals and missing them and thinking, I can't even do one day op.

Spot on with the Beck quote today for me, Bill.
Closed Thread