Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:35 AM   #1  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Lightbulb Birth Control Pills survey

I am being put on birth control to help prevent another ovarian cyst from forming and I am very worried about gaining weight. I have a few questions for those who are on or have taken birth control pills.

1. What pill are/were you on?

2. Did you gain weight?

3. If yes, was it just an initial gain or did it continue?
If no, would you recommend your specific pill to others?

4. What are/were the worst side effects?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DrivenByAmbition; 02-28-2015 at 05:22 PM.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 167/130/120

Height: 5'3

I'm on Ortho Tricyclen. I felt bloated the first week and didn't feel like doing much - basically like I was on my period. It did not cause any weight gain though.
I'm more picky with food now and my stomach is more sensitive. I've had a few migraines since starting, but learned that these are easily prevented by not going the whole day without eating, and taking Advil when I get a headache.
I still feel bloated occasionally, but it's probably just in my head because I'm quite a bit lighter than when I started the pill. Losing weight has been pretty much the same. If you're worried about weight gain, I'd recommend this brand - although I should mention it's the only one I've tried.

Last edited by Mongoose; 02-28-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Cerazette, a progestogen-only pill (the one with the 12 hour window rather than the 3 hour window). I don't recall gaining weight on it, but I was only on it a few months, and weight gain is common with the progestogen-only group. Side effects: it was like having permanent PMS, even though the doctor had put me on it to treat PMS!

Depo Provera, the progestogen injection: no weight gain, and no periods or menstrual migraines, but I got half the symptoms of the menopause, and I was only 22. This one has a very strong side effect profile and they are not putting people on it as much as they used to.

I don't tolerate hormonal contraception at all well, so I have a copper IUD for contraception and love it.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 130/108/104

Height: 5'3

I take Yasmin/ocella/seyeda (Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol 3mg)

It is a very low does pill because I couldn't tolerate the others. I have no side effects except I tend to keep an extra 5-8 lbs on and my sex drive is somewhat decreased. I have been on this same pill for 18 years.
chubbysmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 243/ticker/136

Height: 5'2"

I was previously on Ortho Tricyclen. While I didn't gain weight from the birth control I did have a dramatic mood changes. This wasn't very noticable at first as I am an overly emotional person but my boyfriend(now husband) suggested about 6 years ago that I stop taking it after he learned about how it can effect your emotional state. When I stopped taking it the change was dramatic. I had comments from a multitude of close family members.

While I don't think the pill caused me weight gain I think the stress and ever-changing moods did.

Last edited by MrsClayton; 07-18-2015 at 09:26 PM.
MrsClayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/195/165

Height: 5'4"

I stopped using pills about 6 years ago because I found them difficult to take regularly (at the exact same time of day, not while on antibiotics etc etc) and that they had too many side effects. I have had an Implanon (in arm implant), Nuva Ring (vaginal ring) and now an IUD. The IUD and Nuva Ring both keep the hormones localized to the "parts that need em"- meaning you don't have as many hormones flooding your entire system like when you ingest a pill or have an arm implant. I liked the Nuva Ring a lot but had some contraindications due to an existing high risk for blood clots so my doc recommended I switch. I think nearly every birth control has SOME risk of weight gain, but if you pay attention you can control it- it is often just that the hormones are making you want to eat more, etc.
HaveDogWillDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 365/344/165

Height: 5'11''

I have been on a few but I figured I would answer based on my current one

1. What pill are/were you on?

Levora

2. Did you gain weight?

Yeah. 8 pounds in the first month even though my eating/exercise didn't change

3. If yes, was it just an initial gain or did it continue?

It seems to have chilled out now.
If no, would you recommend your specific pill to others?

4. What are/were the worst side effects?

I am not thrilled with this pill because I have tons of side effects, but my hormones are also crazy screwed up so I may not be the norm. I cry a lot. It makes me anxiety worse and the nausea is horrible. I talked to my doctor about switching but she wants me to try it for a few more months since it is "working"
kelshealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

So, I'm 44 and I was on and off BCPs for many years (early 20s to my late 30s) - I was on numerous brands and never gained anything when I went on a new brand (other than maybe a pound or 2 that was just water/bloat). I also never lost anything after going off any brand.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #9  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

Height: 5'4"

I was on Lo Loestrin Fe. I was put on it because my periods were out of whack because I had already gained so much weight. The pill did not cause me to gain any additional weight and I successfully lost weight while on it. I had some other side effects...depression/anxiety/mood swings that caused me to stop taking it.

Last edited by Firecracker777; 11-23-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #10  

I can't help with anything since I haven't taken any birth control pills, but I also do have a few questions too. I have heard that they can make you lose weight. my biggest question: it is possible? are they making you REALLY lose weight? I just have heard that you have to look for the one that suits you. true?
Cristyna is offline   Reply With Quote