Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Talking Exercising w/ Significant Others

Hey everyone!

Was really curious - how many of you workout with a significant other (boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband)?? Why or why not?

For those that do, do you feel it helps you achieve your goals or helps you stay motivated? Does it strengthen your relationship?

I dont have a partner, so this has always intrigued me.

Best,
-Daniela
Daniela Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:24 PM   #2  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

I don't exercise with my boyfriend regularly, but if there is an activity we both would like to do that is active we then we will. We like to take walks and bike around town together. I love hiking so I've convinced him to come with me a few times. I'm not sure yet if he likes it or not but he's willing to keep trying.

I find having exercise activities to do together helps in staying active. Otherwise I would be skipping exercise time to fit in spending time with him. Or it benefits by adding additional exercise on top of what I already have been doing.

I was single for several years before meeting him just a few months ago, so on the other side I find I have a lot less free time to devote to the things I like to do. So being able to exercise together is a way to leverage my time better.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

I love exercising with my fiance. We go on lots of hikes, walks, and now runs together. I find it to be a perfect way to spend time together and I really believe it strengthens our relationship. For example we climbed a mountain together this past year and it really was a very special experience to achieve that together. I think I'm very lucky that my fiance will go out with me to workout. He's not as into exercise as I am though, but I guess my interest in fitness has inspired him to be more involved with exercise
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 276/228/170

Height: 5'9"

I go to the gym with my boyfriend, but when we are there we tend to do our own thing. We might meet up for a cool down walk on the track. I turn beet red and sweat like a yeti though, so that might have something to do with it.
cornucopiaoflove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #5  

Default Solo Workouts

My husband and I work out alone. Once in a while, we walk on the boardwalk together. Usually, he works out in the basement while I go to the gym.
franola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:04 AM   #6  

Height: 5'3"

Very interesting mix of responses...

Thx all!

-Daniela
Daniela Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #7  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

Height: 5'4"

I exercise with my husband. He doesn't really need to lose weight, just a few pounds. I make him exercise with me because he sits at a desk for 8 hours and then comes home and sits on the couch for the night. He likes being active on the weekends but I am trying to make him see he needs to move during the week too!

Sometimes its fun, sometimes I feel like I am a drill sargent forcing him :-/
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:03 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

We enter the gym at the same time. Usually both hit the elliptical. Then do our own things on weights. I tend to do more squats with body bars and such and hes more into a lot of th e machine weights. Someday if i get fit enough id like us to be able to spot each other in the "guys section" but i have a ways to go.
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #9  

My partner and I do go to the gym together but once there we split up. We both work at a different pace and like different machines. I like that she is there with me. Thay way we can encourage each other when we are close. We also enjoy taking walks and hikes together.
melanieballantino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #10  

Default Used To

I used to work out with my husband but after learning what I needed to, I discovered that my music was more of a motivation than him! I would get frustrated when he would always correct me so I would say that working out now would not strengthen our relationship. Plus, I hate trying to talk when we are both listening to music.
vbaez6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #11  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Running a half marathon with hubby on Sunday. I LOVE working out with him, as I find him to be my own personal cheerleader. Also, he's more fit than I am so when he works out with me it pushes me harder. His pace is faster, so it keeps me moving.

...if only I could get him to work out more. lol
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #12  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

The gym is my "me" time. Not to mention my boyfriend has no interest in gyms! I'm not sure I'd ever want to work out with him to be honest. Mostly because I just like being by myself at the gym and not having to rely on someone else to want to go at the same time.

But part of why we are together is we both enjoy hiking, canoeing, camping, etc. so a lot of our time spend hanging out involves activity.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #13  
Suicide Wing Winner

S/C/G: 135/98/105

Yeah it can be fun, but I wouldn’t try running with your SO. Mines so much slower than me, so I don’t really get a good workout in.
Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #14  
Reluctant Runner

S/C/G: 255/229/150

Height: 5'7"

I used to never let my fiancee run with me (even though she asked to) because I was embarrassed at how out of shape I was. Last week I finally caved and we ran together (c25k) and it was amazing for me. I pushed myself so much harder! I think it made a big difference having to be accountable to someone other than just myself. Like... if I want to skip this run and walk instead nobody will know vs. her walking right next to me and knowing it's time to run. Just her presence was enough to push me harder. I liked it.
VegTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #15  
Deborah Mynatt

S/C/G: 123

Height: 5'4"

Hello!
I do workout with my husband. He has been althletic for a lot longer than me and a lot longer than he and I have even known each other. He helps me with my form/stances and also motivates me to lift heavier. There will be days when I deadlift about 205 (I weigh 116).. but when he is with me I can get the bar up with 235 on it! He supports me and motivates me to do better and he has full knowledge of how to do certain things so this helps me out A LOT!
deblilly is offline   Reply With Quote