Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'5"

Default Dividing calories throughout the day

Since i lowered my calories, i was eating only twice a day; lunch and dinner. It was working well for me because i could eat about 500 calories at lunch and then have 700 calories for dinner and an optional dessert. Ive noticed its becoming increasingly difficult to skip breakfast. Im hungry not long after waking up, so by 9:30, I'm starving and i don't get lunch until 12:00. Im curious how i can split up my calories between 3 meals so that I'm satisfied at each one. I hate being hungry. I aim for 1200 calories a day, however, if i go a little over, i don't dwell on it.

Also, i would like some low calorie breakfast ideas. I cant eat fruit alone for breakfast because for some reason, it doesn't keep me full for long and then i feel hungrier than before i ate the fruit. I got ingredients to make yogurt (nonfat) granola (low fat) and fruit parfaits. I thought that might be a good breakfast that will keep me satisfied until lunch. Any other suggestions?
texasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 224/174/160

Height: 5'8"

I also aim for 1200 calories a day, however, I split this up into 4-6 mini-meals throughout the day. I find this keeps my blood sugar from dropping too low and helps to curb intense cravings or binges.

For breakfast, I'll rotate between one of the following:
-4 slices of low-fat turkey bacon (70 calories) and 4.5 tablespoons of carton eggwhites (50ish) and maybe an orange on the side if I'm still hungry
-Greek yogurt with honey, a square of ghiradelli 80% dark chocolate and some form of berry (between 180-250 calories)
-1/2 cup of quick oats with 1 tbsp of powdered peanut butter, 1/2 a banana, cinnamon and honey (230ish)

Being hungry sucks. I know the feel. I drink A LOT of water and green tea and find this helps me feel full between mini-meals.
mariam892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:33 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

How about bulking up your meals with low calorie vegetables? What are you eating?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #4  
Dropweight Diva

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

I love smoothies for breakfast. You can freeze your fruit over night in a plastic baggie, add some easy protein with yogurt, nut butter or cottage cheese, and if you're feeling adventerous, you can bulk it up with some spinach or kale. (I swear you can't taste spinach in a smoothie. I do get a touch of kale taste when I use it, but it's still yummy). Mix it all together with some low calorie almond milk, juice, or water, and you've got a delicious breakfast to sip on while you're getting ready.

I recommend having a banana in your smoothie at first. It's a good base as far as adding sweetness and creaminess. I've made plenty without that are still good, but it's a good starter base.

Last edited by Song of Surly; 02-18-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Song of Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:28 PM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

I gave up counting calories since adding some foods and taking out others didn't seem to make any difference.

If I were you, I would eat two eggs for breakfast and be done with it. If the calories in two eggs stick, I'll eat my hat.

Last edited by IanG; 02-18-2015 at 02:30 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #6  

Height: 5"6

I personally have a protein and frozen fruit smoothie in the morning- it's like having frozen yogurt!

I use one scoop of soy protein powder (90 calories), half of a frozen banana (50 calories) and then other assorted frozen fruit, such as berries, mangoes, pineapple, melon- you name it! I find the banana is key because it gives it that nice consistency. This enables me to have a breakfast ringing in between 200 and 300 calories. I use about a cup of water or so as well and that saves on calories. I used to think I needed juice or milk but honestly, the banana takes care of the sweetness!

My lunch is usually about 400 or so (heavy on the protein to keep me full!) and then my dinner depends on if I worked out or not. Even a short run will give you the extra calories to have that big dinner, if that's what you like

Good luck to you! I also LOVE eggs for breakfast, as Ian suggested- I just am too lazy in the morning to heat things up!

Last edited by NorthernChick13; 02-18-2015 at 05:11 PM.
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'5"

Ok, Ian. I'm gonna hold you to that :-P

Nelie, to answer your question, and I must first add that I'm a very repetitive eater. I dont get alot of variety in my diet but I'm fine with that. Right now I just eat things I know I really like and aren't tired of and concentrate more on staying within my calorie range. As I stated earlier, no breakfast, unless you count coffee as breakfast. For lunch, it's usually a pb sandwich (I'm hooked on that right now) with just 2 tbsp of pb. To go with it, I usually have my spicy buffalo wheat thins. So yummy!! That's what I had today but I also added in some strawberries. For dinner is usually a salad (ranges from 300-500 cals) or some lean meat like pork chops with a veggie like corn or green beans. Sometimes just a sandwich with buffalo chicken lunch meat. I'm not tired of these things yet but if I do, I'll make changes. I just know I need to start incorporating breakfast so I'm not so hungry at lunch.

The smoothie and eggs are both a good idea for breakfast, the only problem with the eggs is that I don't really have time to cook in the morning and I cherish my sleep too much to get up earlier. I had a yogurt, granola n fruit parfait this morning and it was pretty good. It kept me satisfied until around 11:30. Thanks for the ideas so far. I appreciate all the replies
texasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:18 PM   #8  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

At least try eggs at the weekend. I do. Because that is when I have the time. (I actually eat them with four sardines, razor clams and smoked oysters, but that might be too much for you!!!)

Eggs are so awesome. Any way you like.

They whoop granola, yoghurt and fruit parfait nutritionally, any day of the week. Will keep you fuller longer too!

Last edited by IanG; 02-18-2015 at 08:21 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:13 AM   #9  

I second the eggs recommendation, and I have a suggestion: Why not boil a few eggs when you have a few spare minutes, and those will keep you for a few days. This a.m., for instance, I had two boiled eggs and some smoked trout. That was a tasty, filling breakfast!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:16 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

If you're crunched for time, you can make head an egg bake/frittata, quiche cupcakes, or even frozen breakfast burritos or sandwiches.

I often cook quiche, frittatas, or egg bakes, cut them into servings and keep in the fridge all week, but I've also frozen them into portions with no problem.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote