Old 02-10-2015, 12:24 AM   #1  

Thumbs up Deleted my calorie tracking app!!

Hi All -

I put this post together for my sorority sisters after I managed to LOSE weight my sophomore year! Wanted to post it here in case it helps you too Calorie counting never worked for me for very long, but these 3 things have really helped. Anyone else out there hating their calorie tracker?!?

1. Drink more water
This is absolutely the easiest way to avoid weight gain. Water acts as an ignition for your metabolism, and a lubricant (yes, I said it) for your digestive system. When you drink 2 glasses of water 30 minutes before your meal, you are turning on your metabolism without consuming any calories. Therefore when you start eating, it’s ready to start breaking down those nutrients! Think of your intestines like a waterslide; your food sliding along with ease when you’re hydrated and getting stuck at every corner when you’re not. Water can also curb hunger pangs and cravings, so down a big glass before you indulge in your afternoon cookie and wait to see if you still want it 10 minutes later.
Easy action step: Buy a water bottle that you love, and carry it to class with you. You’ll be amazed at how much more you drink when it’s easily accessible.

2. Eat real food
Have you ever read the ingredients on a box of cheez-its? Or a bottle of ranch dressing? All those chemicals are NOT food! They are empty calories that may be delicious, but wreak havoc on your metabolism. Our bodies are built to digest food, not chemicals, and eliminating them from your diet will start a landslide of health benefits: weight loss, fewer cravings, increased energy, better skin, shiny hair, etc. So when you are navigating your dining hall, keep one question in mind: how did this food come from nature? If you can’t envision the process or at least the ingredients, don’t eat it.
Easy action step: The next time you go to the grocery store, read the food labels for ingredients instead of calories. If you don’t recognize one of the ingredients, walk away!

3. Move in a way you enjoy
You have enough that you are forcing yourself to do this year: wake up for your 8 AM class, study instead of party, tolerate your roommate’s snoring. You don’t need to add going to the gym to the list, but you do need to get moving. Go for a run, take a dance class, check out your rec center, buy a yoga DVD, look up “dorm workouts” on YouTube. Arm yourself with a toolkit of workouts so that you can do whatever you feel motivated to do. Find a buddy to motivate you. Whatever it is, find a way to make your workout enjoyable instead of seeing it as another task to check off your to-do list. And then notice how you feel afterwards. Do you have more energy, better concentration, a rosy glow to your complexion? Notice the benefits of enjoying your workout and you’ll never need to drag yourself to the gym again.
Easy action step: Start building your toolbox! Make a list of physical activities you enjoy, and put one on your calendar. If you feel dread instead of excitement leading up to it, pick a new activity!
freshman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:15 PM   #2  

Hey! I no longer count either, it was driving me a little batty. Thanks for the awesome tips!
PyrettaBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:171 CW:see ticker GW 120

Height: 5'1

I eat clean but like to count every so often when I'm not losing but should be
skittlesfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 145/140/115

Height: 5'3

Well said! I lost 25 lbs last year by obsessively counting every single calorie I ate and burned - I can see how it works for some - I lost the weight but went crazy! And over the next 3 months I gained it all back.

Taking a more moderate approach to dieting this time around - trying to make healthier substitutions, cut back on portions. And it's been slower but starting to work.

So happy I can let myself enjoy that square of dark chocolate after dinner now without worrying about logging it.
omnomgirl is offline   Reply With Quote