Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 08:39 AM   #1  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Red face Yeah, it's really only Tuesday, even though it SHOULD be Friday!

Can you tell who is so very ready for Friday to come? Because on Friday, we're taking of to Florida for a much-needed week of vacation. Can't wait!!!

I'm going to repeat my thought for the day from yesterday, since it was kind of slow...although I do appreciate the response it got yesterday. This appeared in our paper on Sunday, and I'd really like to write a response to it, but I want to know what you all, who have also had long-term struggles with your weight and food issues, think of it as well as the person who you think might have written it. Here's the quote:

"Losing weight is a simple mathematical equation. If you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight. Therefore anyone really can lose weight if they really want to."

Put that in your pipes and smoke it.

BBIAB,
Jayne
Old 08-05-2003, 09:07 AM   #2  
Never Quit!

Hey everyone. I just caught up on the remaining posts from yesterday and happy to see it picked up a little.

Jayne - I don't think the person who wrote that in the paper has ever had a weight problem. It kind of irritates me that someone can try to make it such a "simple" solution. If that were the case, America wouldn't have such an obesity problem. Not to mention it further implies that people who have weight issues are: not disciplined, emotional, slovenly (SP) and we just "choose" to be overweight. Just curious...was the author a man?

Let's see, what else. I was on points yesterday but all I thought about was food. I really had a hard time not going over. Still fighting with sleepless nights and with the pouring rain last night...no walking. I am working from home today, so I hope to get out there sometime after lunch and inbetween down-pours.

I also have a question for everyone. I just bought The Firm system. I am feeling so stupid for doing it, but it really looks basic and non-gimick-like. I have bought other stuff before and failed...so I don't know how I am going to tell my Hubby that I bought something else

So, does anyone have it or know someone who does? Any idea if it works???

Thanks everyone.

~Cuba
Old 08-05-2003, 09:18 AM   #3  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Cuba, I don't know if the author was a man or woman. It was signed from a Pat (yeah, no kidding). I appreciate your insite into it though, because I too heard those underlying messages in that, and I wanted to be sure I wasn't being hyersensitive (as I have a tendancy to be ). I wouldn't be concerned with telling your husband you bought the Firm. I have done it and Laura does it daily. It's a completely gimmick-free thing. It's just a lot of hard work, but they do guarantee visible results in ten workouts. You get them, too. I've found with telling my hubby about my purchases, that the less anxious and embarrassed I act about them, the more he accepts them. Try being just very straightforward about it, and make a few comments like, "Yeah it was time to give up and gimmicks and just accept that it takes hard work. I'm glad I'm finally doing that." This works for Drew, at least...
Old 08-05-2003, 10:00 AM   #4  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Default Good Morning!!

Good morning, ladies!!

My thoughts on Jayne's quote... I don't think there's anything implied. It's true that if you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. Therefore, keeping that equation in mind, anyone can lose weight. That statement is looking strictly at the physical aspects of weight loss, and fails to see the emotional obstacles involved.

Well, I sort of stayed OP yesterday. I did great until about 10 and then I ate half a bag of pretzels... Seriously, I'm never going to lose any weight. Apparently it was a one-time thing and I might as well retire the too-tight size 12's and go buy some 14's... Sorry for the sound of defeat, but I'm getting really fed up with myself and just all of this!

Jayne--I'm working all weekend, but I still wish it was Friday! I don't even have a fun vacation to look forward to, but I can't wait for the weekend.

Cuba--I agree with Jayne about your Firm tapes. If it's something you're confident about, when you approach him with the news, he'll feel confident with your purchase, too. And if not, you'll have to prove him wrong, dangit!!

OK, I'm going to see about getting some work done, will try to stop back in later.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:14 AM   #5  

if only it were that easy...that's like saying "just don't eat" right? lol. sometimes i feel it is harder when you have a family to take care of on top of your more-than-full-time job to find the time. i know 'all it takes is 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there' but if i find that 10 minutes my happy a** is laying down and catching a qucik break because i am so wore out. anyone else ever feel this way??? ugh! maybe it is just gonna be one of those days. but i am going to the gym after work and i haven't been in months so maybe the endorphins will pep me up eh?
Old 08-05-2003, 11:20 AM   #6  

Hey girls...

I haven't been OP either. I ate like nothing because of my tooth all during the day yesterday, and then discovered last night that I actually could eat, so I ate my face off, of course. Anyway, I agree with Jess on the quote - when I was losing weight, that's how I did it. I counted calories and made sure they were less than what I expended. That explains HOW you lose weight, but not why it is hard. That's a whole other can of worms that we fill up this whole message board with.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:43 AM   #7  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

I'm grumpy and feeling sorry for myself, so I'm going out for lunch.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:18 PM   #8  
A Yankee in Virginia

Hi girls ... sorry I wasn't around yesterday. I wanted to be, but our darned Internet service at work was down all day and I can't get on the Internet at home because one of our dogs, who thinks his den his under the computer table, somehow pulled out some wires and we haven't figured out how to fix it.

Just a warning, I'm in a really bad mood today. First I had to drive on the other side of the water for a meeting at 8:30 this morning. See, I live on a peninsula, and the only way to get to the other side is to go through tunnels. And traffic is always backed up. So it took me an hour to make a 25-mile trip and I wasn't happy. Then I came back and found out a co-worker is writing a story that should have been mine. I wouldn't care so much, only she's always very territorial and you'd think she would be considerate. Then I've been dealing with emails from the bridal party from ****. The bridal shower is this weekend. I finally settled with them on $75 each for a joint shower gift, but the crap keeps flying. Someone asked me to bring another dessert, so I offered to make that Weight Watcher key lime pie and was told that it would "take away from" the cake. Can you believe this? Hello, some people don't like cake. (I'm a cake snob ... don't like store-bought cake, only homemade.) I offered to bring wine and I've been getting sh*t about that, too! If I didn't, the MOH would buy wine in a box and life is just too short to drink wine in a box.

I'm going to kill these other bridesmaids, really I am.

Well, now I'm off to interview a kid and his mom, and oh, yeah, the kid has a fatal disease, is 9 years old and probably won't live into his teens. Pretty depressing. Just right for my day, huh? I'll probably finish the interview and burst into tears. I can't WAIT for this day to be over.

I hope everyone's day is going better than mine.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:56 PM   #9  

wow we are all having bad bays!!! *big hugs* to everyone!
Old 08-05-2003, 01:03 PM   #10  
Started IP 1/8/13

Height: 5'7"

Good morning (just barely) ladies

I'm back, I had to take yesterday off to visit the doctor for the annual physical and to fix my brakes. Let me just say not working was great, but I hate spending money on fixing the car and the other thing I hate as well.... So now I'm trying to catch up at work...

On the quote - It's exactly right. When you finally get this equation, and follow it, it works perfectly. For any other business-minded people like me, it works great - I actually read a book that details this kind of thing, let me see if I can find it and post it later.

Jess - USE the pants-o-meter! Don't ever retire those too-tight pants, you've got to hang them somewhere and use them to remind yourself to get to the gym, and to eat right! Becuase that feeling of finally fitting into them and wearing them is great -- I wore my last pants-o-meter pants to my 5-year reunion and felt awesome.

Lexxy - Hey fellow calorie-counter. That's exactly how I did it (am doing it?) too - make sure you work more than you eat. 3500 calories for a pound. Turn it into an equation and it works!

Cuba - I've never done the FIRM but I've been caught up in that infomercial with the fannylifter and the weighted stick thing. I REALLY want it - but it's $100 for the whole deal! So I'm going to have to work up to it, maybe it would be a good thing for the winter months when I can't walk outside... Let me know how it is!

Amber - Most of the time when I'm working out if I can only get to the gym I can keep going - it's actually GETTING there that's my problem!

Hi Jayne! Good quote - and remember all of us when you're on vacation in FL!

Kim - these are the same bridesmaids that wanted to spend $400 on a shower AND drink box wine? for some reason that struck me as funny... hope your day is going better!

gotta go, it's no longer morning & gotta work!
Old 08-05-2003, 01:10 PM   #11  
Divine Gal

I think I need a nap.Its dreary here. But I am doing well.Hope everyone else has a better day then I am.

Lynnie
Old 08-05-2003, 01:27 PM   #12  
Cockeyed Optimist

I'll join the bad mood crowd.......

Jayne - whoever wrote that article is a jacka$$. While there is a technical correctness to the statement, it is lacking compassion. Any human being with the brains god gave a goat, ought to know that people are too complex to break into a an x-y=z formula.

Cuba - love, love, love the Firm work-outs. Which set did you buy? Nothing gimicky. Just really hard work-outs.

Amber - good for you going to the gym. Endorphins will improve your mood.

Jess - I may join you at lunch. As long as it involves a vat of ice cream......

Kim - I suggest finding a brick and using it on those bridesmaid's. What witches.

Ought of the office sick yesterday (bad fish Sunday) but still had to go to job #2. No good reason for my nasty mood just generally unhappy in my own skin and with my life and unhappy with myself for not doing anything to improve the situation.

Maybe it's something in the air.......

Laura
Old 08-05-2003, 01:43 PM   #13  
Started IP 1/8/13

Height: 5'7"

Sorry for all the peppiness today guys - we've got a new coffee machine here today and they're giving out free coffee until 12:30... the good stuff like french vanilla, english toffee, "our answer to starbucks" so I'm a little wired.

the book i was talking about is "business plan for the body" by jim karas. i don't know if it was all those business classes in college or what but it totally made sense. not that i followed the exact plan, but just gathered the basic information from it and worked out my own ideas

and i'm off to lunch - hope you all feel better soon!
Old 08-05-2003, 01:57 PM   #14  
Never Quit!

Wow! Everyone is down in the dumps ! Emotionally, I am too. Work is simply torture and is effecting my entire life. I just hate it. My Hubby is doing ok with work...but without that dual income, we may never buy a house. So I just have to keep chugging along...but it has been 2 years of this! I just want to scream

Kim - I can't believe your day today! Don't you want a new job too? At least make plans to take a nice hot bath tonight and get some really good sleep. Try to wash the day away.

JessisOk - I have to tell ya...when my 12's were too tight and I was discouraged, I caved and bought the 14's. Initially, it felt so much better to breath and sit without anything pinching, but I made a grave mistake. Instead of re-motivating myself since I was now comfortable...I finally got snug in the 14's. I swear it happend overnight! Once that happend, I re-focussed and am back into my 12's. They are a little snug, but that reminds me every day not to let go. If you are really uncomfortable in the 12's, then do ONE PAIR OF 14's. Think of it as temporary and keep trying on the 12s for motivation. If your 12s fit so-so and if you loose just loose 3 lbs and you think they will be bearable, then stick with the 12's. Remember that whatever type of weight you put on in one week, you can take off in the next. Hang in there.

Laura - Great analysis of the quote. I was cracking up when I read your post. Thank goodness too that you have The Firm and love it. I used to love aerobics and am looking forward to getting the system. I bought The Firm II with the Fanny Lifter and the Weight Bar . I really want to scuplt my body and walking (although it is keeping the lbs off) isn't giving me definition. So, I will let you knwo when they arrive. They said 4 weeks (which sounds like forever).

Everyone. Sit back and make a promise to yourself for the remainder of the week. Whether it is to journal every day, or exercise just 10 min a day. Give yourself something to achieve in the next few days so that it is an accomplishment...even if the scale doesn't exactly think so. We have to pick up the pep in here! I coun't on all of you to keep me going, so let's pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off !

Ok, back to work for me.

~Cuba
Old 08-05-2003, 03:43 PM   #15  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Well, IH ave to say that my bad mood lifted soemwhat. The rain slowed down to a sometimes drizzle, and I went shopping. And guess what -- I found all kinds of clothes at 80% off. It rocked!!! I bought 2 pairs of jeans, 3 dressy shirts for work, 3 scoop neck stretchy t-shirts, 2 bracelets and bought enough Elizabeth Arden makeup to get the free gift -- and spent under $100. They're all good brand names too, so I dont' have to worry about the dreaded dryer shrink where you get to wear your new clothes exactly ONCE!

Sorry everyone else is still having such a poopy day. I have a few one-liners my father-in-law sent me that may perk you all up:

If it has tires or testicles, it's gonna give you trouble.

Friends don't let friends take home ugly men.

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, let's all get wasted and have the time of our lives!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.

Hope I put a smile on someone's face...
Closed Thread