Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-26-2015, 06:14 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat January 26 - February 1

Preparing to head up north to borrow snow shovels from Dagmar's infinite lot - I like the notion of having so many losing one doesn't matter. (And I especially like the notion of using my snowblower in case my shovels break.)

We're still looking for 20 inches starting tonight and lasting all day Tuesday. Removing snow around here gets more difficult each year as more cars park on our street - there's just less space for it to go. The good news is that there're some snowman-making-aged kids in the neighborhood so there'll be some entertainment.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:17 AM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning!

Hope you have a good day, Bill. Do a few warm-up exercises first?
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:17 AM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Good luck with the blizzard, Bill! I laughed at your snow shovel story in the last thread.

Morning, Silver!

I got to work in time for my 8:00 meeting with India . . . then remembered it was postponed to tomorrow because of Republic Day (national holiday in India). Today is my day full of status meetings -- I have a total of 4 hours of status meetings scheduled. Of course they're not all in one long block, which means that I don't have enough time between meetings to get anything useful done at all.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:18 AM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

We've got 12 to 18 inches of snow in our forecast, just a little bit less than Bill is facing.

I'm sitting here looking at a faint, pretty but treacherous dusting over my patio, wondering if the wheels of my walker will make it through for my 1:30 PM physical therapy appointment. I'm debating calling to cancel it. But I hate the idea of chickening out, and I feel I really, really need these appointments to keep pushing myself and keep me moving.

I hate being undecided more than anything.

Last edited by saef; 01-26-2015 at 09:41 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Keeping you east coast folks in my thoughts today and tomorrow. Be well, try not to go out and stay warm!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Got a shovel all picked out for you Bill. I'm pretty sure we won't be needing any of ours this time round as we got a light dusting of big fluffy stuff this morning and then it ended and the sun came out.

I think we will get an accumulation on Thursday. Luckily DH is intensely busy at work and probably won't be making any Home Depot runs soon.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:45 AM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

I gave in and canceled today's appointment. To my surprise, the receptionist also pre-emptively cancelled my Wednesday appointment and said the facility is planning to close for two days in a row.

I have some peace of mind now. That was the only thing worrying me.

Since I grew up in Upstate NY, with weekly lake-effect squalls hitting unexpectedly every few days in winter time, I am generally not hysterical about snow falls.

The worst I remember is the Blizzard of '93, when I was working in a downtown Syracuse law firm that specialized in labor litigation. For that one, which arrived on a Sunday, as I recall, we endured 42.9 inches. On Monday, no one went anywhere. I believe that I made it into work that Tuesday, but many were still digging out.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:01 AM   #8  
Workin' It

I hope all of you in the path of the storm are safe today.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm glad you're not attempting to go in, Saef. That wouldn't have been wise!!

Bill--I thought your shovel post was hilarious! I could totally see me doing that-- except I will NEVER live anywhere cold (again, at least-- I was born in CT and lived in Massachusetts). You can't imagine how many times a week kids SWEAR they remember turning in their library books and then later find them not turned in. I have parents emailing me, calling me, griping in person... then they find the books and NEVER say a word apologizing... 99.9% of the time when a kid swears their books are returned, they're wrong. I find maybe 1 a year where they are right. I used to take their word for it-- not anymore....

Stay safe everyone-- please!! I won't torture you with my beautiful California weather-- ok-- I will-- cold and foggy now, but sunny and 70 predicted later.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

My DD texted me her classes were cancelled the rest of today and tomorrow. (She's in NYC). I hadn't followed the weather very closely so I jumped on here to see how my northern friends were making out!

Cracked up at Bill's shovels.
Was happy to read the Saef doesn't have to worry about going out, but I'm sure it's not good to put off 2 more appointments. Is your mom still there?

My DD and I watched Guilt Trip last night. I am really out of it as far as movies and TV shows so I hadn't even heard of this. But it was on the list of Amazon Prime videos so that's why we watched it. I really liked it. The mom reminded my DH and I so much of his mom. UGH! So annoying.

Went for a 56 mile bike ride yesterday with a group. It didn't have hills so I am not as sore as last weekend when it was 52 with major hills (OK, Florida hills, lol). I am the slowest one in the entire group - but I still feel proud that I am doing it because it is mostly men and the few women that do it are younger than me. I'm improving... but it will just take a while. We have road bikes, which used to scare me to death, but somehow I'm managing. It's just some of the Florida drivers are crazy! And of course texting and driving too.

The only thing is I still can't get very close to the bike in front of me. You know all those years of being told not to tailgate in your car ... and now I am supposed to tailgate within a foot on my bike, and trust the person in front of me. It's quite scary! As I was riding yesterday I thought maybe I just need to have someone knock me over so I will get over the fear of falling. No, I'm not that brave either.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:51 AM   #11  
Girl Gone Strong

When I awoke and couldn't hear any traffic at all, I thought we'd been obliterated by overnight snowfall. But it was just the travel ban, which the governor kept in effect through 8 AM. Now that I've had my second cup of coffee and have stared out the window for a long time, I can see what we got lucky and the storm only brushed us. My French doors face a courtyard, which is sheltered from the wind, so it's probably not as bad here as out in the open. But I am guessing maybe four to six inches at most.

The porters in the building thought of me this morning, and cleared my walkway and patio before they did other sidewalk. Thank you, guys, though I'm embarrassed to have troubled you.

We have a blasting wind that kicks up sprays of powder and is probably messing up roadways with shifting drifts.

I hear it's worse north and east of us, so I don't know what kind of excavation effort Bill will face.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Did the first quiz for my "Rolling Stones" course. 30 multiple choice questions. Got a perfect score on my second attempt. Since I was uber (darn no umlaut) fan back in the day a lot of this is calling stuff up from the distant fog of memory but I'm still tickled to get a perfect score.

This is not rocket science but it's fun - something I don't get to have much of these days. Trixie has come down with a stomach thing - TMI for any details but I'm using up a lot of cleaning products. Plus DH is in some kind of huge accounting project so I see him when I wake him and for breakfast and that's it. Kinda nice to be able to listen to albums and watch "Next Top Model" (my guilty pleasures TV show) without him for a week but I have all the household stuff to do.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:45 PM   #13  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Just came in from removing our snow. DW estimates 18 inches. A town a few miles west of here got 32+ inches and it's still coming. I'm pleased to be done.

The neighbors chat and help each other like no other time - it's just great.

And, I'm not tempted to snack when I'm out shoveling snow.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:06 PM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
J

The neighbors chat and help each other like no other time - it's just great.

And, I'm not tempted to snack when I'm out shoveling snow.
That's great, no snacking and the neighbors help each other out! Same thing down here with hurricanes, which luckily we haven't had since 2004 in the Orlando area. We had 3 that year and everyone was very helpful and friendly. Ten years later, we don't know each other. Not really, only one neighbor is still here and we are friends. The others we will perhaps get to know when a storm hits.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:11 AM   #15  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Good morning! Bill, 18 inches doesn't sound too bad. I remember getting a noreaster the first year I lived in RI (I was there 2 years) that dropped two and a half feet. A big change from my previous climate in LA!

DH is taking Carter to the vet this afternoon. I'm not sure what's wrong with him -- the last two nights he's had these incidents which seem like panic attacks. He starts shivering and shaking and hides, and only calms down when we go upstairs to bed. No clue what's setting it off. I've seen him do this before when a smoke alarm battery is dying and the beep freaks him out, but we're not hearing anything. Apparently he's started doing it again this morning and DH can't get him to calm down (tried giving him his doggie valium, no effect so far), so he scheduled a vet appt for this afternoon.

I'm worried he has something going wrong that's hurting inside somewhere and that is what's upsetting him since he also had this kind of shivering reaction when he blew out that disc in his back a few years ago. We've checked over his back though and he doesn't react like it hurts, and felt over his body and he didn't yelp or whine at any particular spot though. Hopefully the vet can figure it out.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote