Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-09-2015, 12:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Default Question about veggies

Hello all!

So I'm going to my healthy eating, and for some reason this time, any vegetable I seem to eat has been making me unbelievably bloated! I sit in class for 8 hours a day so this is very uncomfortable for me, and I've actually had to leave class quite a few times because my stomach hurt so bad.

I've been eating broccoli slaw, celery, carrots, brussell sprouts, and I know these veggies tend to make people gassy, but I never had this much of an issue with it before. Do you guys have any recommendations to deal with this?
I started drinking peppermint tea to help, but isn't do anything.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:07 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 156/140.4/128

I'm starting to realise the same. Every veggie makes me bloated too. But I don't know what to do either, so I'm sitting in on this one to see the advice people give.
Gertryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

If you have increased your vegetable consumption recently, maybe you need to back off and do it gradually. Vegetables contain a lot of fiber, which is very healthy, but if you increase your fiber too fast it can cause bloating and discomfort. If you increase them slowly your body will adjust to the increase. Make sure you are eating other things along with the veggies, a balanced diet. Don't give up, thinking you can't eat veggies. Your body needs those nutrients. In the meantime, if this continues to bother you, you can try something like Beano or GasX. Also, cooked vegetables produce less gas than raw.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-09-2015 at 06:28 AM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:25 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

So here is my stupid question, how well are you chewing your vegetables?

Raw vegetables are a bit harder to digest so if you aren't chewing your vegetables well and/or you have increased your consumption dramatically, then you may experience gas/bloating.

If can try blanching your broccoli slaw to make them a bit more digestible, take extra care in chewing and also taking a probiotic wouldn't hurt either.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
If you have increased your vegetable consumption recently, maybe you need to back off and do it gradually. Vegetables contain a lot of fiber, which is very healthy, but if you increase your fiber too fast it can cause bloating and discomfort. If you increase them slowly your body will adjust to the increase. Make sure you are eating other things along with the veggies, a balanced diet. Don't give up, thinking you can't eat veggies. Your body needs those nutrients. In the meantime, if this continues to bother you, you can try something like Beano or GasX. Also, cooked vegetables produce less gas than raw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
So here is my stupid question, how well are you chewing your vegetables?

Raw vegetables are a bit harder to digest so if you aren't chewing your vegetables well and/or you have increased your consumption dramatically, then you may experience gas/bloating.

If can try blanching your broccoli slaw to make them a bit more digestible, take extra care in chewing and also taking a probiotic wouldn't hurt either.

Omg nelie!

When I read this I remembered how everyone has always told me I swallow my food instead of chewing it and that's why I keep so fast, so I chopped up my veggies and I have to say the bloatedness has really gone down!! Thank you for that tip! Something I wouldn't have even thought about.

I love my broccoli slaw too much to give it up! and wannaeskinny, thanks for the suggestion!! I think I definitely gave my body a lot to handle at once. I went from holiday carbs--> veggies!
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote