PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/232/110

Height: 5ft7

Default spironolactone? Androgens and body hair?

I know a girl who does not have pcos but uses that for other reasons. Has anyone had success with it? I'm really self conscious about body hair. I have dark stomach hair thick plus dark belly button hair (like a man) and so on. If I were to wax while taking it would it still grow back? Is ther anything I can do? Also I have acne and very abnormally greasy hair. If I were to wash my hair one day the next day it would look like I never washed it at all. Would this drug be good for me?
imabehot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 167/re-start:153/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I was on spironolactone for PCOS, and while I didn't have a big problem with dark hair, the dark hair that I did have was significantly reduced. It also helped clear up my acne and helped me lose weight. I imagine that you would be a great candidate for it. I'm not sure about the greasy hair thing, but I would imagine that it could help with that since it helped reduce acne brought on by greasy skin.

Talk to your doctor about it, it really helped me a lot.
seize the day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/180/140

Height: 5ft3

I've been on it about 7 months. I have noticed hair either going away or growing more slowly, finer. I haven't had any negative side effects but the endo requires bloodwork every 6 months to check potassium levels.
helen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 242/242/150

Height: 5'5"

When I was first diagnosed, I was put on Spironolactone to help reduce my testosterone levels, along with birth control. After about six months, I was taken off the Spironolactone, but have continued with various birth controls over the years. Because it does help reduce testosterone, it will help with body hair. However, just like your legs, the belly hair will grow back after being waxed. But the good news is that, at least with me, it came back finer and lighter than it originally was. These days I shave the few strands I have left every now and then when I realize they've gotten too long or really noticeable.
findingthehappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:22 AM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Didn't work for me, gave me palpitations, I just started doing laser hair removal with groupon coupons and that worked for me. It's nice to not have a freaking hairy man chin anymore! And my hair was DARK.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote